IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hardy palms in Columbia S.C

Brad Mondel

Great photos!  Thanks for sharing!

Any way to ID each photo?    There are a couple that I cant tell exactly.  Most of them i know right off the bat.   Thanks. 

Looks like you covered most of it Brad....the zoo's also got a pretty nice Washingtonia that is probably a hybrid.  I don't remember exactly where it's located.

Steve

4 hours ago, Turtlesteve said:

Looks like you covered most of it Brad....the zoo's also got a pretty nice Washingtonia that is probably a hybrid.  I don't remember exactly where it's located.

Steve

I think I know which Washingtonia you're talking about Steve. It's right before a series of covered exhibits; I can picture it in my head but I'm not sure what the name of the area is. I feel like it's near the Gorrilla exhibit. 

Brad, I've never seen that orange tree; where was that exactly? It has pretty significant size to it. 

Also, those pindos near the flamingo exhibit have to be some of the most healthy looking I've seen. You have to imagine they get some great fertilizer from those flamingos, LOL. On a more sad note, that pedestrian bridge they built, it seems that they've uprooted a trunking palmetto that seems to have been there since Riverbanks started. To their credit, they've planted a bunch of sabal minors underneath the bridge. 

5 hours ago, Turtlesteve said:

Steve

Yes I saw the Washingtonia. It was damaged from the winter so I didn't take a photo. I also saw Livistona chinensis and Chamaedorea radicalis in the koala exhibit. They weren't damaged at all. The orange tree is a "Sunquat" some type of hardy hybrid. It is on the right side of the entrance to the botanical garden. 

• Upvote 1

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

The state house has amazing Sabal palmetto. A warm zone 8a climate and Sabal palmetto are set!

PalmTreeDude

On 3/6/2017, 10:58:48, Brad Mondel said:

IMG_3557.thumb.JPG.b32f66ad225809667ca25IMG_3561.thumb.JPG.250bc4ef4f5eb2a787635IMG_3563.thumb.JPG.413943ebed0fbee0f6a93IMG_3570.thumb.JPG.f48fba17c3198bd262f0dIMG_3572.thumb.JPG.17a187717dbf63c03ca24IMG_3575.thumb.JPG.11e2073237879b0a43f2eIMG_3576.thumb.JPG.de8e968ab0f040838f6c9IMG_3579.thumb.JPG.80d795dcf8514ee77652cIMG_3581.thumb.JPG.7bffb1ff659c579b07bb7IMG_3583.thumb.JPG.9d055f3f74cecb977b10fIMG_3590.thumb.JPG.7e28812933c9ec61b59bcIMG_3596.thumb.JPG.d0426734ba3527919b617IMG_3599.thumb.JPG.b0859eb1795efa71e1331IMG_3606.thumb.JPG.fec28b86247fe40a02280IMG_3608.thumb.JPG.f35b11148a32d94c5d007IMG_3537.thumb.JPG.d1f0af1d3acd491346ba2

IMG_3577.JPG

Ok, Ill try asking a different way since my first post didn't get any response.  What are the palms in pics 4, 12, and 14 down from the top?   #12 looks like a Chamerops to me. The other two I'm not sure.  Maybe some species of Thrinax? That is just a wild guess though.  Thanks! 

I believe 4 is a Brahea armata. 12 and 14 are both Chamerops, 14 being the blue variety (Atlas Mtns, Morocco).

I've been to this botanical garden in January of 2016! I remember many of these plants, especially those huge needle palms.  I recall that the zoological park in Columbia has numerous large Sabal palmetto. I was quite impressed (not to mention jealous)!

1 hour ago, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

Ok, Ill try asking a different way since my first post didn't get any response.  What are the palms in pics 4, 12, and 14 down from the top?   #12 looks like a Chamerops to me. The other two I'm not sure.  Maybe some species of Thrinax? That is just a wild guess though.  Thanks! 

4 is Brahea armata, uncommonly seen in the south because they typically struggle in humidity. The other silver palm (11) is a Brahea Decumbens, super rare in the south. The other one (12 and 14) are Chamaerops green and argentea. I have argentea and it does really well here in South Carolina. The others are Butia, Serenoa, Trachycarpus, Sabal, and Rhapidophyllum. 

Ok thanks.   I knew all of them accept the ones listed.  I figured the Chamerops green one.  The other threw me off a bit as did the Brahea.   Thats a fair amount of palm variety for just SC.   Good to see.  

• 2 months later...

I spotted this the other day and about screamed in excitement. I don't know how long it's been there, but I looked on Google Earth streetview and it was there in October of 2015. So it made it through 8B winters. This guys house is also situated on a bit of a ridge, along with it being right up against a brick wall makes for a nice little microclimate.

nn1izl.jpg

35bfi2t.jpg

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Brad Mondel said:

Love cidp!

Me too. It was my first obsession when I started growing palms. After one got killed in the infamous vortex winter, I quit trying. But this is hopeful. It seems as if CIDP's are extremely marginal here; I'd classify the few survivors that I know of in the area as "lucky".

I used to grow them in pots also but I eventually gave up on them too, they are harder to find now vs 6 years ago for some reason. When I was a kid I thought they were mature sago palms haha!

Once cidp starts to trunk they will survive 8b winters but any smaller than that they will die.  

On 6/8/2017, 7:55:07, Brad Mondel said:

I used to grow them in pots also but I eventually gave up on them too, they are harder to find now vs 6 years ago for some reason. When I was a kid I thought they were mature sago palms haha!

I could see the mix up in that! They do have a similarity in a way.

23 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Once cidp starts to trunk they will survive 8b winters but any smaller than that they will die.  

I think that's accurate. 

50 minutes ago, smithgn said:

I could see the mix up in that! They do have a similarity in a way.

I think that's accurate. 

I have two in 95G containers with about 2' of trunk that survived 12F this year out in the open.  A few 25G Butia and Jubaea next to them died. Additionally true dates in 65G with 2-3; of trunk survived as well.  Zero of these species planted in the ground died except a CIDP with about 24" diameter trunk

Wow! That is stunning... You know, I've always thought about going all out and buying one large CIDP and transplanting it in the yard of my future home (I plan on moving closer into the city). I'm not sure where it'd be shipped from but I really think a CIDP with significant trunk and someone who knows what they're doing can get these to survive long term. And after reading what you just posted, it makes me a little more interested in doing something like that.

Only buy one that is containerized.  65-96G that has just started go vertical will ensure that the truck girth isn't stunted.  Fresh dug CIDP will die unless root pruned over a period of several months.

1 minute ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Only buy one that is containerized.  65-96G that has just started go vertical will ensure that the truck girth isn't stunted.  Fresh dug CIDP will die unless root pruned over a period of several months.

I'll remember this. When I do decide to do something like this I'll make sure to shoot you a message. I wish you were closer to SC so that maybe I could source one from you. 

Nick,

I think that would be an awesome project. I wonder how expensive shipping would be?

My CIDP and Phoenix theophrastii both survived this past winter in their pots. I think the theophrastii looks better right now, but both are pushing spears well. I will probably put the theophrastii in the ground this year. I think heavily amended, well draining soil will go a long way with it.

Anyway, like I said before, buy as large a yard as you can find! :D

Edited by Scot from SC

On 6/14/2017, 2:11:43, Scot from SC said:

Nick,

I think that would be an awesome project. I wonder how expensive shipping would be?

My CIDP and Phoenix theophrastii both survived this past winter in their pots. I think the theophrastii looks better right now, but both are pushing spears well. I will probably put the theophrastii in the ground this year. I think heavily amended, well draining soil will go a long way with it.

Anyway, like I said before, buy as large a yard as you can find! :D

Thanks, Scot! There's no telling how expensive it'd be. I'm not even sure what the availability would be for a palm like that would be in-state, or close by. But I'll try it for the sake of curiosity and I'll bite the bullet and pay what they ask (within reason).