• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Gertrude Cole

TikiRick

Gertrude Cole was an early pioneer for the South Florida Palm Society. She lived in Ft. Lauderdale near the beaches and was a widow for many years. I had the pleasure of touring her garden in 2003, when I helped her clean up some of the mounting (palm) debris.

Although her physical health was failing, her desire and excitement toward palms was not.

She gave me a tall Ptychosperma sp (clustering species) of which I have in my collection. I will always remember her generosity.

Do you have any more information about Gertrude? All I know is that she attempted to leave her estate to the Palm Society, but that never happened for whatever reason. I believe she was originally from Michigan and she moved here sometime in the 40's to Ft. Lauderdale.

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

I knew Gertrude very well. I first met her probably in 1989. I made several visits to her home back in the early to mid 90's. The Broward chapter of the IPS held their first meeting there to get the chapter started. She was a palm vendor also at some of the local sales. If I'm not mistaken, I believe she was one of the original group with Dent Smith to start the IPS back in the early 50's. I always remembered her very large Zombia palm she had in the yard. Truely a nice woman.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I remember Gertrude from about 1970.  She was a very nice, genteel, knowledgeable lady; came to PS meetings quite regularly.  Our Best Wishes to her family. merrill

• Upvote 1

merrill, North Central Florida

I knew Gertrude very well and used to bump into her at the various S. Florida palm functions. My mother and Gerturde became friends attending a couple of Biennial meetings, one in Jamaca and another in Hawaii. I remember my mom needed a hat to guard against the tropical sun, and Gertrude gave her a cloth hat that she had made, as she had a spare. Gertrude always had a ready smile and was very versed on palms. I'm sorry to hear she has passed.

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

I remember Gertrude from about 1973.  

I also remember sharing her company at many PS meetings.  

She will be missed.

Tom
Mid-Pinellas (St. Petersburg) Florida, USA

Member of Palm Society 1973-2012
Gizella Kopsick Palm Arboretum development 1977-1991
Chapter President 1983-84
Palm Society Director 1984-88

(merrill @ May 07 2007,14:30)

I remember Gertrude from about 1970.  She was a very nice, genteel, knowledgeable lady; came to PS meetings quite regularly.  Our Best Wishes to her family. merrill

That's right, Merrill, and I even have a candid picture of Gertrude Cole and you together at Dr. U.A. Young's in Tampa in 1975!

1975tampa751110240eu.jpg

Tom

(That's Gertrude Cole at the right in the picture above)

Tom

Hi, Tom:

Many Thanks.  A very interesting shot.  Ben Martin is standing third in the file headed By Dr. Young.  Who is the familiar face second in line?  In front left, isn't that Jerry Keuper, FIT prexy, also IPS Prexy?  Can't quite tell.

We were a serious bunch, weren't we!  Thanks, merrill

• Upvote 1

merrill, North Central Florida

(merrill @ May 13 2007,10:01)

Hi, Tom:

Many Thanks.  A very interesting shot.  Ben Martin is standing third in the file headed By Dr. Young.  Who is the familiar face second in line?  In front left, isn't that Jerry Keuper, FIT prexy, also IPS Prexy?  Can't quite tell.

We were a serious bunch, weren't we!  Thanks, merrill

Here is the picture of Jerry Keuper and Dent Smith at U.A. Young's in 1975:

tampa7501210242pf.jpg

Tom

• 1 month later...

Is that Groucho Marx peeking over the top from the background?

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

(TikiRick @ Jul. 13 2007,11:10)

Is that Groucho Marx peeking over the top from the background (in the Cole picture)?

Heh heh...

Tom

• 4 months later...