IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Visiting Gene ("gbarce") in Manila

bgl

A trip to Manila over the weekend was a good reason to contact Gene, who has been very active here on PalmTalk for many years. We spent all day Sunday (Feb. 26th) together, visiting Gene's garden and also doing general sightseeing in Metro Manila. Gene picked me up at my hotel and we began the day with the 71st Annual Orchid Show in nearby Quezon City. They had both very impressive orchid displays and a section with all sorts of plants for sale. Not so many palms, though!

DSC_0215.JPG

DSC_0216.JPG

DSC_0218.JPG

• Upvote 8

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Then we headed back to Manila, and specifically the San Juan district, which is where Gene has lived for many years, in the same house where his father (and I believe grandfather) lived. Gene lives on Mariano Marcos Street, named after Mariano Marcos who was the father of Ferdinand Marcos, who ruled the Philippines from 1965 to 1986. Ferdinand is no longer living, but his wife and former First Lady, Imelda Marcos, is still alive and apparently owns most of the properties on the street, including the property that's adjacent to Gene's (even though she lives elsewhere). The street is a quiet street with lots of vegetation and tall walls on both sides.

DSC_0230.JPG

DSC_0227.JPG

• Upvote 7

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Right across from Gene's place is one of the Marcos properties and I believe Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr. (son of Ferdinand and Imelda) lives here. He ran (unsuccessfully) for Vice President in 2016.

DSC_0228.JPG

• Upvote 5

OK, finally here's Gene in front of his very impressive entrance! :)

DSC_0231.JPG

• Upvote 8

Gene has a truly spectacular Tahina spectabilis and here I am, in front of it.

DSC_0234.JPG

• Upvote 15

A Pigafetta, and the buildings in the background are across the street (but around the corner from M. Marcos Street).

DSC_0235.JPG

• Upvote 9

Here's a very cute dwarf Areca catechu, and lots of other palms in the background.

DSC_0237.JPG

• Upvote 10

Pelagodoxa henryana.

DSC_0239.JPG

• Upvote 10

Gene has incorporated a pond in his exquisite landscape design, and of course with a bunch of very impressive Victoria amazonica. :)

DSC_0241.JPG

DSC_0242.JPG

DSC_0244.JPG

• Upvote 13

Gene with a beautiful Copernicia fallaensis, planted five years ago as a small plant! :o And on the right a flowering Licuala peltata var. sumawongii. :)

DSC_0246.JPG

• Upvote 17

Gene with one of his two Sabinaria magnifica. Best looking one I have seen! :)

DSC_0247.JPG

• Upvote 13

And a couple of general views of this amazing garden! :)

DSC_0249.JPG

DSC_0250.JPG

• Upvote 10

Gene is an artist, which clearly shows in the way he has designed his garden, but his talents go way beyond landscaping. After the garden tour he also showed me some of his paintings, and these are just a few of them.

DSC_0258.JPG

• Upvote 8

On our way out for more sightseeing in Manila I snapped one final picture, with a couple of tall Verschaffeltia splendida towering over some smaller palms in the foreground. Gene - it was great to meet you, and thank you so very much for showing me your immaculate and very impressive garden! And for taking the entire day to show me around in Manila. What a day - loved it! :)

DSC_0259.JPG

• Upvote 9

18 minutes ago, bgl said:

Gene with a beautiful Copernicia fallaensis, planted five years ago as a small plant! :o And on the right a flowering Licuala peltata var. sumawongii. :)

DSC_0246.JPG

:o

Rio_Grande.gif

great pic's bo!

thanks for posting

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Absolute spectacular! Great photos - thank you very much for sharing!

best regards

Wow, that was nice. Thanks Bo, for posting photos of your visit. 

Great to see Gene and more of what his garden looks like after so many years of seeing his contributions to PT.

That Copernicia and that Sabinaria...........snap!!!

I've got a hike this Saturday, maybe next Saturday for lunch?

Tim 

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Gene's garden has always amazed me, really nice to see an update here with these photos of his fabulous and meticulously maintained garden. Incredible specimens!

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

A very enjoyable thread, Bo, thanks. I wonder what Gene is feeding that Cop. fallaensis. Mine aren't moving nearly as fast! And that Pelagodoxa is fabulous.

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Bo,

Gladly you travel for us and show us wonderful places, gardens, palms and people. 

Many thanks.

Kindest regards

Philippe

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

We all love Gene's garden!

More?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Thanks for all the comments, and I'm afraid I have no more photos. I will alert Gene to this thread in case he wants to add comments.:)

Bo-Göran

(Tim - sending you a PM)

Wow stunning, and we thought we grow nice palms in Hawaii, Gene you take the cake. beautiful. 

thank you Bo.

• Upvote 1

You are right about that Colins, thanks Bo for posting. Yes Gene's garden is that one that always amazes me with his growth rate and how health they all look and his wonderful landscaping.

• Upvote 1

I haven't posted anything on Palm Talk in a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG while so I am taking this opportunity and hijacking Bo's thread to post some update shots.  THese are some of the plants and palms that Bo might have missed taking pictures of.

Here's a mystery Coccothrinax.  Am not sure of the species but the leaf texture is very stiff, hard and rigid -- it reminds me of thin plywood

DSC_0430.JPG

• Upvote 5

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

The palm on the left is another Copernicia Fallanesis -- same age as the bigger one that Bo already showed but this one went into the ground about a year after that one -- big difference!  The palms of the right are Chambeyronia macrocarpa.  The one in front doesn't open with very red leaves and grows faster.  The second one is the back grows a bit slower and you can see a new red leaf poking out

DSC_0431.JPG

• Upvote 5

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

Coccothrinax miraguama and Copernicia macroglossa -- I am counting on the Coccothrinax to grow faster and taller than the Copernicia

DSC_0433.JPG

• Upvote 6

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Copernicia baileyana that is suffering some nutrient deficiency.  I have been giving it fertilizer with trace minerals -- I still need to give it more

DSC_0435.JPG

• Upvote 2

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Nannorhops richtiana (did I spell that correctly?).  The surrounding palms have crowded it out but it's still hanging on there.  This is the first palm I put I the ground myself

DSC_0437.JPG

• Upvote 4

Gene

Manila, Philippines