IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Green Coco Malayan Dwarf Dying...

GottmitAlex

Well, I noticed the "tallest" Green Malayan Dwarf has extended its petioles quite pronouncedly. However, the leaves are curling and constricting. It has lost its rubbery feel to it.

There is a green spear emerging. But the coco can be wiggled left and right with ease. The leaves are green. Is this root rot?

Admittedly this coconut has only 1.5-2ft of sand. And Underneath the sand it is all clay. This was the second coconut I planted. August 30th...

I guess I lost it.  Any help would be much appreciated.

20170228_4.jpg

20170228_2.jpg

20170228_3.jpg

20170228_5.jpg

20170228_1.jpg

Edited by GottmitAlex

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

3 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

Well, I noticed the "tallest" Green Malayan Dwarf has extended its petioles quite pronouncedly. However, the leaves are curling and constricting. It has lost its rubbery feel to it.

There is a green spear emerging. But the coco can be wiggled left and right with ease. The leaves are green. Is this root rot?

Admittedly this coconut has only 1.5-2ft of sand. And Underneath the sand it is all clay. This was the second coconut I planted. August 30th...

I guess I lost it.  Any help would be much appreciated.

20170228_4.jpg

20170228_2.jpg

20170228_3.jpg

20170228_5.jpg

20170228_1.jpg

Alex,

Is the first photo the most recent one?  In the first photo, it looks kind of bad, but in the other photos, it doesn't look so bad.  Don't wiggle it back and forth though.  It sounds to me like the curling of the leaves may be from getting too dry.  That is typical of palm leaves when they get too dry.  When they are too wet, they usually get a discolored look, sometimes turning a yellow shade, but especially declining by turning brown and crispy pretty rapidly, which is often associated with Potassium deficiency as well, which starts out as brown spots at the ends of the leaves, then progresses down the leaf and widening to large areas turning brown and crispy.  How often do you water it, and have you had a lot of rain this winter?

John

• Upvote 1

John, we had plenty rain this winter. Even up till last night it was pouring.

(Yes, they're all today's pics)

It was one of my three original plantings. So I did not dig a 3x3x3 in pure sand for it like I did for the most recent four Tall cocos. 
It's a weird one. Green leaves, shriveling, but green nonetheless, green petioles...except for the base of the petiole: brown/black and mushy.

Here again, the perceived texture upon touching the leaves is that of wet cardboard. As opposed to that rubbery, gritty texture the other cocos have.

Here is the spear.

20170228_153014.jpg

Edited by GottmitAlex

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Alex,

With your further description, it does sound pretty bad and not normal, and the spear doesn't look normal.  You may try applying some copper fungicide to it.  I use Bonide Copper Fungicide for Organic Gardening at a rate of 1 ounce per gallon of water then put it into a quart sized spray bottle and douse the leaves including the undersides and the small trunk of it.  You could reapply it about 2 weeks later if you need to.

Once it returns to a more normal look, I would apply a good organic foliar spray in a 4-2-3 ratio.  I used MicroLife 4-2-3 Ocean Harvest.  Or you could use Medina Hasta Gro Lawn 12-4-8as a foliar spray.

John

• Upvote 2

bce6634b1e15bdc2c3d564adf30ee212-dam2u94

I had one about a year ago that looked like this. It developed this ghostly look almost overnight after a few days of rain in December 2015. Needless to say it was dead from that moment on, and no matter what I tried it just slowly dried up.

Wet environment, combined with prolonged chilly weather, low soil temperatures and no heat from the sun - the nemesis of all California coconuts.

Took the carcass back to Home Depot for credit. I got another one from Lowes, which I kept indoors over winter this time and it's doing great.

Edited by Pando
  • Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Pando said:

I had one about a year ago that looked like this. It developed this ghostly look almost overnight after a few days of rain in December 2015. Needless to say it was dead from that moment on, and no matter what I tried it just slowly dried up.

Wet environment, combined with prolonged chilly weather, low soil temperatures and no heat from the sun - the nemesis of all California coconuts.

Took the carcass back to Home Depot for credit. I got another one from Lowes, which I kept indoors over winter this time and it's doing great.

Pando,

We sometimes get hit with that kind of weather here in South Texas during the winter, and it does a number on our coconut palms too, especially if it lasts for a week straight or more, but our healthier, older, and better established coconut palms usually pull through it.  Having temps from the 70'sF to 90F in between such occurrences sure helps them to recover, and going all organic, I have found helps a little with cold hardiness too.

John

1 hour ago, Pando said:

d73c7b5d879c0e4b2dda7c52b9d5a31d.jpg

Cocos nucifera mortuus est.

Pando, what variety was the coconut you mentioned?

John, I just went out to check the coconut and it has tipped to the side of least resistance. I'll clean it up tomorrow.

I am just going to dig another 27 cubic foot hole and try a Tall variety. They seem quite hardy. 

I planted the Talls I had in pots on the 30th of January in the garden. No issues (knocking on wood). I will be keeping a close eye on my two remaining Malayan dwarfs which are on the extreme opposite ends of the narrow garden. 

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

Not sure, but probably a green Malayan, the Home Cheapo variety.

This is how it looked a few weeks prior, it was about 4 feet tall in a pot:

DSC03444_(1038x1280).jpg.a173fdc5c47d940

• Upvote 2

Here is an example of one of the petioles. Green leaf, greenish petiole but turns a darker hue towards the base. And at the base it's just a dark brown mush.

I pulled on it without any considerable force. It did have a couple fibers which were clinging on.  I guess it's digging time.20170301_165442.thumb.jpg.b4664e248df33d 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2017‎ ‎12‎:‎10‎:‎33‎, GottmitAlex said:

d73c7b5d879c0e4b2dda7c52b9d5a31d.jpg

Cocos nucifera mortuus est.

John, I just went out to check the coconut and it has tipped to the side of least resistance. I'll clean it up tomorrow.

I am just going to dig another 27 cubic foot hole and try a Tall variety. They seem quite hardy. 

I planted the Talls I had in pots on the 30th of January in the garden. No issues (knocking on wood). I will be keeping a close eye on my two remaining Malayan dwarfs which are on the extreme opposite ends of the narrow garden. 

Alex,

I honestly think your best bet for your cool damp winters there would be talls.

John

1 minute ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Alex,

I honestly think your best bet for your cool damp winters there would be talls.

John

I think you're right John. I have one Golden Malayan dwarf still planted, going strong no blemishes whatsoever.  It's on its 6th leaf. All the leaves are close together as opposed to the talls which are just growing like crazy. I'll put it this way, the 6-7 leaves the talls have sprung out since November are humongous and just everywhere. The dwarf's leaves looks more, for a lack of better terms: orderly and tidy.

Still have 6 coconuts in the ground though. 1 golden Malayan, 1 Jamaican Tall, 1 Golden Maypan and 3 Pacific talls (monsters)..

2 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

I think you're right John. I have one Golden Malayan dwarf still planted, going strong no blemishes whatsoever.  It's on its 6th leaf. All the leaves are close together as opposed to the talls which are just growing like crazy. I'll put it this way, the 6-7 leaves the talls have sprung out since November are humongous and just everywhere. The dwarf's leaves looks more, for a lack of better terms: orderly and tidy.

Still have 6 coconuts in the ground though. 1 golden Malayan, 1 Jamaican Tall, 1 Golden Maypan and 3 Pacific talls (monsters)..

Alex, PLEASE take photos of all of them along with a description of which one is which.

Thanks,

John

P.S.  Inquiring minds want to see them!!!

I will. Hopefully tomorrow I'll post them.

38 minutes ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Alex, PLEASE take photos of all of them along with a description of which one is which.

Thanks,

John

P.S.  Inquiring minds want to see them!!!

Here's one from the day before last.

It compares the Golden Malayan Dwarf with one of the Pacific Talls.  All bifid leaves on both. But the tall's leaves, as I mentioned, are huge and all over the place. The dwarf has the same amount of leaves but they are smaller and well kept. I guess the dwarf will take quite a while to grow. I placed some metal bases and some twine in order to take hold of some of the leaves. There was some serious flapping and twisting going on thanks to the wind.

Can't wait for the pinnate leaves. I bet it will mitigate the flapping and the kiting.

20170309_123847.jpg

Edited by GottmitAlex

Here's a pic facing the opposite way.

angle2.thumb.jpg.d8ff7d3a3d85d780f4e9417

Nice looking Alex,  Talls have always been known for their robustness and size!

John