IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trachycarpus put to the test at -2F

TexasColdHardyPalms

A customer of mine in Amarillo purchased eleven reginerated windmills with 11-13' of clear trunk from me last year for a landscaping project. This winter had two very cold spells of which the later dropped the temp to -2f. The duration of the cold was intense as well with over 60 consecutive hours below 25F. Needless to say all of them were mostly defoliated, but all of them have resumed growing with more than a foot of new foliage and a few are already flowering. I have attached a few pics.

• Upvote 5

Zero protection on this windmill in a completely open yard. This palm saw closer to -5 on this side of town. 

First pic is january. Second pic with the snow is 2/14. 

Last pic was 2/25.

20850.jpeg

23709.jpeg

24535.jpeg

• Upvote 6

What zone is Amarillo in? 

Great to see they survived and are coming back.   My way of thinking about these palms in marginal places has been, while they do survive and come back, if they face this kind of cold and damage year in and out, they will die in a few years or so.  Just too much to keep playing catch up for them.  

• Upvote 1

I always forget how far up there Amarillo is.  Closer to Denver than to Austin.

• Upvote 2

Mike in zone 6 Missouruh

Seem like they are right on the

edge of hardiness limits...perfectly timed

trunk cutting there as sometimes even after

a week of warmth the bud can be lost,the one coming

back from being trunk cut should be able to self regulate now

without fear of future damage.

amazing how they just come right back!!

great pictures

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Impressive. And supposedly Takil is even hardier.

-2°F is the all time record low here, but with our cooler and wetter winters they wouldn't recover as quickly from such damage, if at all, despite our winters being nearly a full zone warmer (7b/8a). Subzero temps haven't occurred in over 30 years, but windmills are still marginal here.

That's some fierce cold there but good to see they've at least survived. Question is, will they have to endure repeated episodes of this kind of exposure in the future which could see their demise?

Cheers, Barrie.

Edited by Las Palmas Norte
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

That's some fierce cold there but good to see they've at least survived. Question is, will they have to endure repeated episodes of this kind of exposure in the future which could see their demise?

Cheers, Barrie.

Sub zero temps are not the norm. Lows are usually around 5f each year and this should be the most difficult year as they were planted just about a year ago.  Ill keep updating them for years to come. 

• Upvote 2

There is a place here in tulsa that has 3 6-7' trachy that never got protection this winter.  we had 2 nights around 12.  I went by last week and they dont look so good. Will be interesting to see if they recover and how quick if they do.

• 2 weeks later...

I've visited Amarillo several times lately. I wish I'd have thought of talking to you and going to see these palms. The cold wasn't quite as bad in Lubbock (-4 low), and the one large, unprotected Filifera that I'm aware of here has already pushed out close to an entire new frond. Trachys didn't even burn. 

• Upvote 1

Raymond Sharon has some growing in Wichita, they're defoliated, but the trunks are firm...time will tell if they make it...Glad those in Amarillo are waking up! :greenthumb::D

• Upvote 1

El_Dorado.gif

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/28/2017, 6:00:02, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

What zone is Amarillo in? 

Great to see they survived and are coming back.   My way of thinking about these palms in marginal places has been, while they do survive and come back, if they face this kind of cold and damage year in and out, they will die in a few years or so.  Just too much to keep playing catch up for them.  

Maybe after seeing old Trachys scattered in Albuquerque (just 280 miles W), someone decided to really push it. Amarillo has more extremes of temperature than ABQ when the fronts storm down the plains - the rest of the time AMA temperatures similar plus some more humidity, better soils, and 12" more rain / year.

Map-TXColorLandformCounty.thumb.gif.96aa

Too many repeats of that could kill them - though ABQ is 2000' higher it is protected by large mountains from most bipolar temperature swings. ABQ simply doesn't get wild swings like Amarillo, similar to how Tucson doesn't get El Paso's swings, etc.

Edited by Desert DAC