IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

some rarer palms at ocean beach maryland

Mr.SamuraiSword

among the coconuts, christmas palms, queens and washys, some more expensive rarer palms can be found.  sadly I assume like the others they are left to die over winter.  I have never seen any sabal palmetto, pindo, or windmill despite the better chance of survival they would have.  Ive never even seen any needles or sabal minor even though they would probably always survive unless right on the water.

sylvester date palm

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.3466027,-75.0772419,3a,60y,81.11h,85.25t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1szqoG9cVCBNkbHDmJGuMjpQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.3889027,-75.064266,3a,60y,194.75h,81.13t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sMlm_PEtio2iUaJf17KtYEw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

CIDP

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.3475089,-75.0778057,3a,75y,51.29h,78.01t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sf7jF1VfTKMr3HvCESwXhjA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

not a palm but still rare.

yucca rostrata

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.451213,-75.0531577,3a,37.9y,188.96h,80.54t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sKzOOgdGPRvmq_sNxfpe0NA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

many uncommon palms foxtail, arcea, majesty,

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.4511758,-75.0528626,3a,81.7y,162.8h,76.64t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sdMs-hXGN-swIwR3QsioNIQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Upvote 2

It is kind of cool they're trying to give people the Florida experience. When I was up there last the city had a few coconuts planted out on the beach. :) 

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

That's nuts, enough palms to make you believe you weren't in Maryland for a few months. At first I thought it was crazy to spend that kind of money on annual palms, but then I remembered just how expensive it is to install large beds of colorful annual flowers, when I was in the landscape business I couldn't believe how much that cost. Just roll up some palms in your annual planting budget, it's just a business expense and I'm sure the customers like them and it's good for business, just like colorful annual flower beds. 

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

17 minutes ago, Xerarch said:

That's nuts, enough palms to make you believe you weren't in Maryland for a few months. At first I thought it was crazy to spend that kind of money on annual palms, but then I remembered just how expensive it is to install large beds of colorful annual flowers, when I was in the landscape business I couldn't believe how much that cost. Just roll up some palms in your annual planting budget, it's just a business expense and I'm sure the customers like them and it's good for business, just like colorful annual flower beds. 

the difference is it takes years, sometimes decades for those palms to get that size.  and then they just die.  Someday i will go there in November or October and dig one up.

Well its good for the nursery business in Florida.  And its been a fixture of the MD shore for a long time.  If I lived in the area, I'd be looking forward to summer so I could see all those palms.  

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

Im not sure that all are left out as annuals.  I read an article a long time ago, about a company that rented large palms for the season.  They came in, planted them in ground in containers in spring, then in early fall, would come back, take them out.  The palms were grown in large containers and were kept in a large tall green house to enable them to have some mature / semi mature sized palms that were actually tree sized.   I cant remember where that was, I want to say Chicago.   I don't know if there is any business like that that does that in the Mid Atlantic, but it would probably do fairly well.   Here is what some of the chicago beaches look like in summer: 

oak-streetchicagopalm.jpg

chicagopalms.jpg

chicagopalms3.jpg

chicagopalms4.jpg

chicagopalms2.jpg

• Upvote 3

In OC for the most part they are left to die.  There is a guy who started a business bringing many truck loads up each year and selling them to businesses.  He sells a few on the side of the road as well.  

Look at Seacrets, they have hundreds of Coconuts each year.  One article I read quoted the owner saying he loved to see them die each winter because not many places go through the time and expense of bringing in so many trees.  So he has a unique atmosphere.  Just ride by there in the winter, dead coconuts everywhere.

secoc.jpg

• Upvote 1

Here is the part about palm trees from this article

"The goal was for Seacrets to look, feel, smell and sound like Jamaica. Each spring, more than 20 trucks arrive in Ocean City carrying 375 palm trees from a plantation in Florida. It takes a crew with a crane nearly two weeks to uproot the dead trees from the previous summer and plant a fresh batch. The crews also place 4,500 tropical plants in the Maryland sand.

“They’re going to die. I want them to die, because that way I am the only jungle in town,” Moore says. “If I am going to charge six, seven, eight dollars for a drink, people want real trees.”"

33 minutes ago, MDPalm said:

"The goal was for Seacrets to look, feel, smell and sound like Jamaica. Each spring, more than 20 trucks arrive in Ocean City carrying 375 palm trees from a plantation in Florida. It takes a crew with a crane nearly two weeks to uproot the dead trees from the previous summer and plant a fresh batch. The crews also place 4,500 tropical plants in the Maryland sand.

“They’re going to die. I want them to die, because that way I am the only jungle in town,” Moore says. “If I am going to charge six, seven, eight dollars for a drink, people want real trees.”"

Wow, he must be spending at least a quarter million a year on this and maybe a lot more. It would seem like there's got to be a more efficient way of accomplishing this than trucking up new plants each year.  

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

11 hours ago, MDPalm said:

Eat your heart out Cocoanut grove. 

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

• 9 months later...

If hes stuck on the coco look, the smart thing would b to buy jelly palms, should make it every year, they'll get taller eventually, less work n waisted $.  May b that bar wouldn't b so over priced, though he mind as well cause the place is packed all summer. 

• Upvote 1