IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sunny Sunday planting continues

Pip

Today I also planted out a small Jubaeopsis caffra and used the agapanthus as a visual barrier for my dogs. With a bit of luch they won't trample the palm while they do their hot laps.

20170226_154643.thumb.jpg.ebc6b8de7e5fb0

20170226_154622.thumb.jpg.3debb6874c2349

• Upvote 11

5 hours ago, Pip said:

With a bit of luck they won't trample the palm while they do their hot laps.

Since I too have a dog which loves to run the yard, I sometimes just put a couple of small sticks used to prop up small plants in front of small things I don't want trampled.  When the plant gets a little larger, the stakes are easy to pull and they aren't too much of a visible blight.  The other tool is planting things she wouldn't want to run over.  My dog will run right over clivia, agapanthus, and similar things, but will avoid aloe, bromeliads and cycads.  That said, your agapanthus will be a nice visual compliment to your J caffra as it grows!  Forgive the yellow coloration of the plant in my example, I'm hoping that with a little fertilizer and iron, it will green up with spring coming soon.20170219-104A5220-2.thumb.jpg.2e52b48497

• Upvote 2

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

6 hours ago, Tracy said:

Since I too have a dog which loves to run the yard, I sometimes just put a couple of small sticks used to prop up small plants in front of small things I don't want trampled.  When the plant gets a little larger, the stakes are easy to pull and they aren't too much of a visible blight.  The other tool is planting things she wouldn't want to run over.  My dog will run right over clivia, agapanthus, and similar things, but will avoid aloe, bromeliads and cycads.  That said, your agapanthus will be a nice visual compliment to your J caffra as it grows!  Forgive the yellow coloration of the plant in my example, I'm hoping that with a little fertilizer and iron, it will green up with spring coming soon.20170219-104A5220-2.thumb.jpg.2e52b48497

I only used the agapanthus because I'd only just removed them from another part of the garden to make room for a Beccariophoenix madagascariensis. Those agapanthus would otherwise be heading to the compost heap. Aloes would be a much better plant to use, there a few in pots stashed in my parents garden, I have to be sneaky about planting them in my current garden as aloes are not appreciated by my partner.

5 hours ago, Pip said:

I have to be sneaky about planting them in my current garden as aloes are not appreciated by my partner.

My wife hates some of my "pokier" plants, as she likes to refer to them.  She was thrilled when I dug up some Puya from our front planter (Puyas are bromeliads from the Andes with very sharp barbs).  She was very unhappy when I transplanted them along the outside of our wall on the side yard, so I know where you are coming from.  Good call on re-purposing your agapanthus.  The B madagascariensis was quite an upgrade in the other part of your garden too.  What was the plant in your original post which is contained within the chicken wire?  I'm guessing it is both special to you, as well as some predator which might want to nibble on it?

40 minutes ago, Tracy said:

The B madagascariensis was quite an upgrade in the other part of your garden too.  What was the plant in your original post which is contained within the chicken wire?  I'm guessing it is both special to you, as well as some predator which might want to nibble on it?

The chicken wire was to get the dogs out as that garden bed was were I used to grow vegetables so often had bare soio 3xposed and the dogs woupd love to play in there especially after I'd watered.

9 hours ago, Tracy said:

What was the plant in your original post which is contained within the chicken wire?  I'm guessing it is both special to you, as well as some predator which might want to nibble on it?

Actually on rereading your question Tracy, that plant protected by chicken wire in the first photo is a red leaf banana plant the was only planted a few weeks ago as a leaf less corm. My dogs have an attraction to banana plants they think they are very comfortable to lay on. They have destroyed a few establishing clumps preventing the garden from taking on a plantation look.

16 hours ago, Pip said:

My dogs have an attraction to banana plants they think they are very comfortable to lay on.

They definitely find some interesting things to crush.  Maybe during your hotter periods those young banana plants are a cool and soft spot to curl up on!  Mine loves to pick up the large red petals that drop as each new hand of banana flowers appears.  They make a great soft alternative to balls or toys.  I find the torn pieces scattered around the yard.... maybe she thinks she is helping me mulch the yard?  The bananas are a quick grow, so it will provide a little shade for your J caffra in no time.

• Upvote 1