IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Crazy orange color on Dypsis carlsmithii

colin Peters

Have posted this big boy before, but wow, wanted to share what color these can have. Not always this colorful when old leaf come off, but worth the wait.

5 gallon bucket shows the size of the trunk. getting fat

aloha

IMG_0239.jpg

IMG_0233.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg

• Upvote 19

45 minutes ago, colin Peters said:

Have posted this big boy before, but wow, wanted to share what color these can have. Not always this colorful when old leaf come off, but worth the wait.

aloha

IMG_0233.jpg

Was this the bucket with the orange paint? :P

• Upvote 3

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

51 minutes ago, colin Peters said:

aloha

IMG_0239.jpg

IMG_0233.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg

my seeds are sprouting Colin I got from you.

yipeeeee!!!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

3 hours ago, colin Peters said:

wanted to share what color these can have.

Yes, thank you for sharing it!  The must ask questions:  How long in the ground and from what size was it planted to get it to this stage?  Obviously much faster in your climate than mine, but it sets a best case boundary for my expectations.  Can't help noticing how tight the rings are together, which tells me that its not a speed demon even in the Kuliouou Valley.

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Pal Meir, I know it looks fake color, but stoked that it is real.  

Tracy it was planted June of 2013 from a 15gallon from Bill Austin on big island. It is very fast growing, almost rocket fast. Lots of water, in dark black clay, degraded lava soil, so good stuff, and lots of nutricote fert. 

Josh  great that the seeds are sprouting, and hopefully the offspring have the color as well. Gotta love this big boy palm.

aloha

IMG_0087 (1).jpg

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Gorgeous palm!!  I just planted a couple, I can´t wait until it´s this size!  Thanks for posting!

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

11 hours ago, Mohsen said:

Thanks Colin...it's fabulous :) 

is there any chance mine be like that in 5 years ?

image.jpeg

I think you will have to wait a bit longer than five years.

• Upvote 1

Just love, water and some nutrients. Ok, maybe some consistent warm weather. 

Thanks Bill,.....Want to come see your nursery soon... got free travel.....since working at Hawaiian Air...

aloha

Colin

They're adorable babies.  My big but still non-stemming one regrettably suffered spear rot and is dying.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

11 hours ago, Palms4Steve said:

I think you will have to wait a bit longer than five years.

I'm happy with 10 years Steve ;) 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, colin Peters said:

Just love, water and some nutrients. Ok, maybe some consistent warm weather. 

Thanks Bill,.....Want to come see your nursery soon... got free travel.....since working at Hawaiian Air...

aloha

Colin

I have love , furteliser and water but only few month of warmth :( 

by the way how many spears have opened in one year on yours ?

I recently planted on at my "Fair View" garden. I love this palm

IMG_6571.JPG.df1bad3f45fadd1fe2287e63987IMG_6569.JPG.102f116fc350bfe03cd6f652653IMG_6570.JPG.32ff06e3cb2154afba752b4aca3IMG_6572.JPG.3052accda9635aa8c285c5c9caaIMG_6574.JPG.cf01340933feb126500db27284c

IMG_6575.JPG

• Upvote 4

Sunset zone 24

Good lord Colin, what kind of pep talks or injections are you giving that thing? It's gone from zero to 'chunk' in no time. 

Of course when you plant them as cones, it takes forever to get some size to them. Mine are finally starting to get their groove on in the size department. 

Tim

• Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

13 hours ago, Josh-O said:

I recently planted on at my "Fair View" garden. I love this palm

IMG_6571.JPG.df1bad3f45fadd1fe2287e63987IMG_6569.JPG.102f116fc350bfe03cd6f652653IMG_6570.JPG.32ff06e3cb2154afba752b4aca3IMG_6572.JPG.3052accda9635aa8c285c5c9caaIMG_6574.JPG.cf01340933feb126500db27284c

IMG_6575.JPG

Josh, its almost the same size as mine...it's interested to compare their advancements...

12 hours ago, colin Peters said:

Moshen,  maybe around three new leaves a year. 

I have already 2 new spears this year so not bad...BTW, when and which furt you giving it and how many time watering during each season?

10 hours ago, Mohsen said:

Josh, its almost the same size as mine...it's interested to compare their advancements...

lets keep tabs on our growth rate. I'm sure yours will breeze by mine since you have a "more tropical environment" compared to my desert climate.

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

Here are the bases of my 'not so tiny babies' after starting from cones back in 2009......been awhile. 

Tim

fullsizeoutput_435d.jpeg

• Upvote 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

7 hours ago, Josh-O said:

lets keep tabs on our growth rate. I'm sure yours will breeze by mine since you have a "more tropical environment" compared to my desert climate.

Josh, you might be right but I am worry about winter here...lets see...

Wow, great looking Carl Smiths everyone. 

Tim: thanks, but no injections, maybe some Kuliouou mana coming down the valley. Think they take a while to get going, I kinda bypassed that when I bought a good sized one from Bill. Put a couple one gallons in the ground a year or so ago, and maybe one or two new leaves a year, from them.  Not a lot of growth yet. 

Moshen,  I use nutricote (lots of it), but want to try some bloom food to see if will crank out another flower. It is pretty much kept very wet at all times. From the roof runoff and

I collect water in large drums from another roof spout and use about 10 gallons a day when it does not rain much.

aloha

• Upvote 1