IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Satakentia trunk split advice

Satbch

Just notice the trunk has a split in it after getting a ton of rain last week. Any advice as to what to do is greatly appreciated. 

IMG_2500.JPG

• Upvote 3

In one day the split has increased in length quite a bit and is noticeably deeper. I looked at the pruning paint at Lowes and it was basically just a black rubber spray. I wasn't excited about spraying this on the trunk because I'm sure it won't ever come off.

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

image3.JPG

image4.JPG

• Upvote 2

Talked to the grower that I bought it from. He said he lost a Satakentia in his yard from the same problem and said mine is probably toast. He feels it's from the large amount of rain we got back about a week or 2 ago here after being dry over the last few months during our dry winter. He said that he feels this species is fragile unless it's moisture exposure is consistent.

So maybe lots of rain followed by a week of warm 80+ degree weather and the palm goes into hulk mode growth which can be death to Satakentia. 

This palm has a mate down from it in the same planter that looks fine. It hasn't grown as much as the one with the split I think because it doesn't get as much direct sun. So the question is do I put a different Palm in to replace it or roll the dice with another Satakentia. This species is one is my favorite Palms in my yard. I stare at it from my kitchen table every time I eat. Kinda bummed. 

I would bet the palm will not die. I can see from looking at it that it has suffered before and I agree the rain caused it to swell and split.

Some palm gardens benefit from constant watering. In Florida we can get growth all year so fertilizer is important in the winter too.

• Upvote 2

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

Thanks for the encouraging words Ken. It gives me some hope. I've been using Harrell's pro fertilizer every 2 months for the last couple years including the slower growing season.

Good news is there is no progression in the size of the split since yesterday. I'll continue to hit it with fungicide every day for the next week or so.

Ill post another pic in a few days. 

I've had smaller splits on Carpentaria, never on the two Satakentias.   I concur with expert advice above.  Satakentia is from a climate with fairly constant rain, so our dry winters might be difficult.  

• Upvote 1

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Whenever I see that happen to any of my plants, I always, always, use an old aboriginal trick, and

go inside and have a beer, and I haven't lost a plant yet.

• Upvote 3

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

This is the split on my Satakentia. It is like the Grand Canyon. It measures 2.5 inches deep. It has had this split from the time it began to form a trunk. This has been this way for 7-8 years.

It is going to hit 101F here today and with my sandy soil ( 95% sand 5% soil) it is impossible to keep this palm well watered.

IMG_0393.JPG.7b14b0c3e58bd8b376f13fba4ceIMG_0394.JPG.8399dcf9c0840ec16a52ee7f089

• Upvote 3

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

6 hours ago, gtsteve said:

Whenever I see that happen to any of my plants, I always, always, use an old aboriginal trick, and

go inside and have a beer, and I haven't lost a plant yet.

Great advice!

• 1 month later...

Well I've had a few beers as advised and the Satakentia is still kicking. A spear opened recently so the beers must have helped. The trunk split however is becoming closer to the crater you've got scottgt and has definitely moved further up the the crown. 

IMG_2537.JPG

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

And I worry about our Florida climate getting too dry or too cold.  Your palm is somehow putting out very healthy looking leaves.  Don't worry about the crownshaft being green rather than purplish.  With mine, the color took a decade to begin developing.  

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Thanks Dave. I have 2 of these about 10 ft apart from each other. They are such great growers for me and always look good. They don't seem to show any issues from our well sprinkler water, the salt spray from the brackish lagoon 50 ft away (ocean spray is about 1 mile away) or the constant sea breeze. I was so surprised also they didn't show much signs from the 100 mph winds we had last October from Hurricane Matthew. I just need to make sure to keep these guys better watered after our rain slows down Nov-May. 

• 4 months later...

The trunk split is now contained in the trunk and doesn’t extend to the crown.  I’m in the clear. Irma ripped a few fronds off and but other than that it looking pretty good with its scar. Our temps dipped down to 37 a couple weeks ago without any noticible damage but we rebounded with lows in the 70’s last week. No noticeable cold damage. Just need to make sure she gets plenty of water and fertilizer during our dry season. 

26C28FC1-7355-44D8-9AD9-E2D058DFFFEC.jpeg

0354CF65-458E-4D9B-BE5D-E4932F994819.jpeg

• Upvote 6

Who knew beer had curative properties for palms?

The palm looks really healthy. Good work.

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

So many palms, so little room

Thanks for posting the follow up pic -- your palm looks rough & tough!  :greenthumb:  I like the "beer cure" and plan to use that in the future.

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

• 4 years later...

It is doing just fine 5 years later and the Satakentias are one of my favorites in my yard. Split was contained to the bottom of the trunk.

IMG_6447 copy.jpg

IMG_6454 copy.jpg

Edited by Satbch
  • Like 10
  • Upvote 1

@Satbch Thank you for sharing some good news and nice photos :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Incredible growth! Your palm looks fantastic! I had forgotten about this thread. Back to beer...! Looks spectacular.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Hi,

I was a bit concerned when I checked this threat the first time years ago but it seems that it is pulling through. 

Living in Okinawa with countless numbers of this species even on our smaller island I was not able to give any 

advice since I have never seen this phenomenon over here. It is probably as described above - too much rain after

a long dry season - the palm might have difficulties to handle it...

However, thank you for your update - beautiful palms!

Lars

That definitely seems to be the case here on the east central Florida coast Lars. We can get pretty dry in January to mid February when our temps drop. I think they need consistency with water especially when they are establishing their roots here because their growth rate (although slows some during the cold) is pretty consistent.  It's also been 10+ years since we've really seen temps much into the mid 30's.

Love these palms!

Ryan