IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Can I propagate Yucca Cuttings?

Mr.SamuraiSword

this is a picture similer to a yucca growing by a gutter on the sidewalk.   there are some small little yuccas next to it (i think they are all one plant) i read I can cut it and propagate it but how do I do so?  i think it is yucca filamentosa.

yucca-filamentosa-le-ahaines-g.jpg

Cut it, stick it in the ground & it will grow. I have cut some with trunks & threw them out in the compost pile & they rooted laying on top of the ground.

• Upvote 1

But wouldn't it have to be something either rooted or a piece of trunk? The yucca in the photo does not appear to have a trunk at all.  If you just broke off a leaf and planted it in the ground, I don't know how successful that would be, but others on this forum would know.  I don't have yucca filamentosa, but my yucca elephantipes grow so vigorously that I have to keep chopping off limbs, sticking them in the ground and --- presto --- suddenly that branch is now a trunk fully rooted a month or two later.  It's amazing how quickly they take root in my soil.  I have never waited for the "wound" to heal either.    

Just now, Sandy Loam said:

But wouldn't it have to be something either rooted or a piece of trunk? The yucca in the photo does not appear to have a trunk at all.  If you just broke off a leaf and planted it in the ground, I don't know how successful that would be, but others on this forum would know.  I don't have yucca filamentosa, but my yucca elephantipes grow so vigorously that I have to keep chopping off limbs, sticking them in the ground and --- presto --- suddenly that branch is now a trunk fully rooted a month or two later.  It's amazing how quickly they take root in my soil.  I have never waited for the "wound" to heal either.    

oh it had some root.  how hardy is your yucca?

Yucca Elephantipes is pretty cold-hardy, but not cold-hardy enough for Connecticut.  If you wanted to try something similar looking to it, however, Yucca Aliofolia might barely be cold-hardy enough to survive and just squeak by in coastal Connecticut.  Yucca Aloifolia is native to here and regions  north up to southern Virginia, but it is very slow growing and very sharp to the touch.  You would almost have to dig one up from habitat to obtain a specimen that is truly tree-sized and has been gaining size for decades.  Otherwise, you will be waiting your whole life for it to grow.  I have never seen yucca aloifolia sold anywhere, whereas yucca elephantipes is sold everywhere.      

The leaves on that one don't look hard/sharp enough to be yucca aloifolia, but I can't be sure.  I don't know what that one is.  Does anyone else?

On 2/27/2017, 11:37:46, Sandy Loam said:

The leaves on that one don't look hard/sharp enough to be yucca aloifolia, but I can't be sure.  I don't know what that one is.  Does anyone else?

On 2/27/2017, 7:20:11, Mr.SamuraiSword said:

ive seen this kind of yucca all over NJ is this the kind you are talking about?

I think that they are Yucca gloriosa

https://www.google.com/search?safe=strict&biw=1920&bih=914&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=Yucca+gloriosa+x+angustissima&oq=Yucca+gloriosa+x+angustissima&gs_l=img.3...39137.39137.0.39390.1.1.0.0.0.0.97.97.1.1.0....0...1c.1.64.img..0.0.0.zgrqzYYThlM#imgrc=uJD52pZVX8CJ3M:

Edited by ArchontoAlex
Found the original image...

Yucca is the most easy plant to propagate from cuttings. Just put it in ground ( even without roots ) and it will grow.