IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PSSC MARCH 18, 2017 MEETING - Orange County, California

DoomsDave

March PSSC Meeting

Saturday March 18, 2017

The Palm Society of Southern California will hold its March meeting at two gardens in central Orange County. Both of these gardens are great examples of what you can accomplish on small suburban lots.

The first stop will be at the home and garden of long time PCCS member Ralph Velez at 15461 Devonshire Cir., Westminster.  The second garden to be visited is that of our President, Larry Black, at 9166 Sara River Cir. Fountain Valley CA 92708.

Ralph is an original member of the Palm Society since it was founded more than 50 years ago.  Palm enthusiasts from around the world have toured his garden, and Huell Howser of PBS had a show about it.  He started his palm garden in 1962, and is still adding new species to his garden. Several years ago, Ralph added a large greenhouse where he has added many tropical palms that can only be found in greenhouses outside the tropics.

Currently, Ralph has approximately 250 different species in his garden and greenhouse.  Many of Ralph=s palms are among the most mature and tallest of their species growing in California such as Nannorrhops, Howea, Attalea, Hyophorbe, Zombia and several Dypsis and Chamaedorea.  To enter Ralph=s garden, you leave suburban O.C. behind and find yourself engulfed by his palms. There are so many to see that you=ll see something different each time you visit.

Larry and Sue Black started their palm garden after a few trips to Hawaii and wanted a tropical looking garden around their pool, which expanded over the years from the backyard to the front yard, with approximately 200 different species in the ground.  Larry has focused mostly the most unusual palms, with a few common types for canopy.  Larry is growing nearly 40 different species of Chamaedorea, 20-plus species of Dypsis, several species of Ptychosperma and many palms not often seen in other gardens.  Some highlights include a large Dypsis lanceolata, Allagoptera (Polyandrococos) caudescens, Foxy Ladies, Dypsis arenarum and Wallichia disticha to name a few. Don=t miss his magnificent Dypsis ambositrae, forming a trunk.

Directions to Ralph's home: From the north or south bound 405 Fwy., exit Brookhurst St. and head north for approx. 2 miles to McFadden Ave.  Turn right on McFadden Ave. for approx. 200 ft. and then turn left on Nottingham Ave.

From the 22 Fwy., exit Brookhurst St. and head south for approx. 2 miles to McFadden Ave.  Turn left on McFadden Ave. for approx. 200 ft. and then turn left on Nottingham St. 

Ralph's home is at the corner of Nottingham and Devonshire Cir., though it=s very easy to spot even from a distance. It's the one with the towering palms!

Directions from Ralph's home to Larry's home: Head west on Nottingham and turn right on McFadden Ave. Then turn left on Brookhurst St.  Head south on Brookhurst St. for approx. 3 miles to Ellis Ave.  Turn right on Ellis Ave. for about 1 mile to Mt. Stewart Cir.  Turn right on Mt. Stewart Cir and then right on Sara River Cir.  There is plenty of parking.

This will be a potluck meeting: bring your favorite dish to share. If you cooked it, great! If you didn't, great anyway! Soup, salad, dessert, your grandma's favorite recipe.

There will be an auction with rare palms donated by PSSC members and others. There will also be a raffle; buy tickets and win palms! Also, a rare palm will be raffled off in a separate drawing to all who attend the meeting to the end.

AGENDA

9:30 a.m. PSSC Board meeting at Ralph's place - all welcome to attend

10:00 a.m. self-guided tours of Ralph's garden - feast your eyes!

11:30 a.m. Leave Ralph's garden and roar off to Larry's

12:00 noon. Potluck lunch - chicken will be provided

1:00 p.m. General meeting and auction

3:30 p.m. Adjourn

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 2 weeks later...

sounds like a good time!

Ralph and Larry's yards never disappoint

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Ohmygahd

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

If you haven't seen Larry's place bring a helmet to prevent brain damage from swooning on the elegant hardscape.

• Upvote 1

Greatly looking forward to this as my first meeting.  Last thing I need is more encouragement, but what's the worse that could happen!

Look forward to meeting you!

Larry and Ralph's gardens rock their respective houses, and all the ones nearby.

And, you're always welcome to come to La Habra and visit my garden.

Palm Society Stew aka chile verde on the menu!

Just started it 

IMG_2134.thumb.JPG.4dba9226919879f74e251

come one come all

There's only one Velez!

IMG_2137.thumb.JPG.e8db011cfc10932b2cf20

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, DoomsDave said:

IMG_2138.thumb.JPG.946a66920c0543bcfbabaIMG_2139.thumb.JPG.26dfd69c2b978f5783997IMG_2141.thumb.JPG.b51784ea1cbeb57a8d107

IMG_2140.JPG

• Upvote 2

IMG_2148.thumb.JPG.e00493945b764bb5b0467IMG_2146.thumb.JPG.93f5da4bf3ddad50b37f3

• Upvote 1

I had hoped to go, but still recovering from being sick.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

7 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

I had hoped to go, but still recovering from being sick.

GET THE HELL WELL!

Missed you brotha

This was a rockin' meeting!

and screams have resounded

'scuse me

they;re coming to take me awayyy

What a fun and eye opening day!  Beautiful gardens.  Unfortunately, after looking at the Pando's photos, I realized I missed a few.  Now I'm looking forward till next time!