Anyone north of delaware

38 posts in this topic

Just uncovered one of my windmills.. anyone up north jump starting spring early?  Btw, no damage to Palm. Looks like winter never happened.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i will be putting my potted trachy outside next week hopefully

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I moved most of my palms outdoors the other day. Two potted Trachy's, two Washy's, and a Majesty. Trying to seize all the warmth I can.

Majesty's look so nice blowing in the breeze, but those wide fronds can act as a sail, mine just flipped over, now I have a mess to clean up lol.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you guys seriously thinking of uncovering your palms for the year???

Better pray to god these models are off. As I posted in another thread, all my friends from back east because they've had some all-time record high days recently suddenly think they are tropical lol

Screen Shot 2017-02-24 at 4.10.45 PM.png

Edited by NorCalKing
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2017, 7:13:40, NorCalKing said:

Are you guys seriously thinking of uncovering your palms for the year???

Better pray to god these models are off. As I posted in another thread, all my friends from back east because they've had some all-time record high days recently suddenly think they are tropical lol

Screen Shot 2017-02-24 at 4.10.45 PM.png

when is this forcast supposed to happen?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2017, 7:13:40, NorCalKing said:

Are you guys seriously thinking of uncovering your palms for the year???

Better pray to god these models are off. As I posted in another thread, all my friends from back east because they've had some all-time record high days recently suddenly think they are tropical lol

Screen Shot 2017-02-24 at 4.10.45 PM.png

I don't believe that for one second, especially not the "winter" ( or lack of it actually) we are having in the DC area.  Here is the forest for that day that this model is for - tuesday 3/7.     Low of  32.  That model says 17/18F.    

image1[1715].JPG

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine have been out for a while,sorry

just nothing in the forecast to bother them...

usually after 3/10 we don't really see much below 20F.

<span style='display:block !important; width: 170px; text-align: center; font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 12px;'><a href='http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=Fairfield, IA' title='Fairfield, IA Weather Forecast'><img src='http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniDial/language/english/US/IA/Fairfield.gif' alt='Find more about Weather in Fairfield, IA' /></a><br><a href='http://www.wunderground.com' title='Get latest Weather Forecast updates' style='font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 12px;'>Click for weather forecast</a></span>

 

 

Edited by Jimhardy
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

On 2/27/2017, 10:46:21, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

I don't believe that for one second, especially not the "winter" ( or lack of it actually) we are having in the DC area.  Here is the forest for that day that this model is for - tuesday 3/7.     Low of  32.  That model says 17/18F.    

image1[1715].JPG

Well, models are our only guide. And the latest run this morning still puts Friday and Saturday, and Sunday in some areas into the single digits. I don't know about you, but I always keep an eye out for the long term models. Guys are more than welcome to uncover their palms. I'm just making people aware that they may not be out of the woods yet.

Screen Shot 2017-03-02 at 9.09.50 AM.png

Edited by NorCalKing
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I'd be watching the forecast if I were you, they update through the day, and some use different models. GFS is the US model, I'd check the European model as well. I was forecasted to go down to 29 in Albuquerque last night; I got down to 23!  Last week I had the same low forecast temperature of 29 and got down to 20! The forecasts can be wildly inaccurate. In spite of most days being in the 60's and 70's here over the past month I am still leaving my greenhouses up for another few weeks. The palms have been enjoying the greenhouse temp getting up into the 90's most days during the past 3 weeks.

Here is the wunderground forecast for Reston, Virginia as of right now:
https://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=Reston%2C+VA

NYC: https://www.wunderground.com/q/zmw:10001.11.99999

Hebron, CT: https://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=Hebron%2C+CT

Sorry, had to put links in, the screen captures didn't take...

 

 

 

Edited by ChrisA
Links
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ChrisA said:

I'd be watching the forecast if I were you, they update through the day, and some use different models. GFS is the US model, I'd check the European model as well. I was forecasted to go down to 29 in Albuquerque last night; I got down to 23!  Last week I had the same low forecast temperature of 29 and got down to 20! The forecasts can be wildly inaccurate. In spite of most days being in the 60's and 70's here over the past month I am still leaving my greenhouses up for another few weeks. The palms have been enjoying the greenhouse temp getting up into the 90's most days during the past 3 weeks.

Here is the wunderground forecast for Reston, Virginia as of right now:

 

 

NYC:

 

 

Hebron, CT:

 

 

 

it doesnt show anything for some reason.  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2017, 9:53:26, bronxboynyc71 said:

Just uncovered one of my windmills.. anyone up north jump starting spring early?  Btw, no damage to Palm. Looks like winter never happened.

did you use lights?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Mr.SamuraiSword said:

it doesnt show anything for some reason.  

It opened fine for me. Here's your forecast. 9F Saturday am.

Screen Shot 2017-03-02 at 10.37.27 AM.png

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NorCalKing said:

Well, models are our only guide. And the latest run this morning still puts Friday and Saturday, and Sunday in some areas into the single digits. I don't know about you, but I always keep an eye out for the long term models. Guys are more than welcome to uncover their palms. I'm just making people aware that they may not be out of the woods yet.

Screen Shot 2017-03-02 at 9.09.50 AM.png

Only commenting on the forecast from that model for the DC area.  It was and still is far off for the date given compared to the forecast.  That one above seems off too.  Way too cool for the date.   Right now sundays highs in the 50's  60's with lows in the 40s for me.  This map says 19F.   Thats why I don't believe it.   As far as uncovering palms, were it me, I would wait until lows did not go below 25F just to be safe.  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

Only commenting on the forecast from that model for the DC area.  It was and still is far off for the date given compared to the forecast.  That one above seems off too.  Way too cool for the date.   Right now sundays highs in the 50's  60's with lows in the 40s for me.  This map says 19F.   Thats why I don't believe it.   As far as uncovering palms, were it me, I would wait until lows did not go below 25F just to be safe.  

Where are you getting your forecast? Every single one I read has you at 20F. Couldn't find a single source that shows you at 40f? I just checked Accuweather has you at 18! NWS 23f.

 

 

 

Screen Shot 2017-03-02 at 11.51.59 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-02 at 11.51.40 AM.png

Edited by NorCalKing
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All mine (7) and S. Minor(5) are all uncovered. Two week forecast looks just fine here in Nebraska. If we get a "surprise" it's easy to cover them back up again.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah...mine have been opened(whats left)since it warmed up

around Feb 10th,easily a record if I don't have to recover...

but I am leaving town in a few days so they will stay uncovered.

Like they used to say in the old west...Dead or alive.:innocent:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2017, 2:53:33, NorCalKing said:

Where are you getting your forecast? Every single one I read has you at 20F. Couldn't find a single source that shows you at 40f? I just checked Accuweather has you at 18! NWS 23f.

 

 

 

Screen Shot 2017-03-02 at 11.51.59 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-02 at 11.51.40 AM.png

The original map you posted was for tues 3/7.  Not today thru sunday.   The forecast for fri/ sat night has changed a bit, now with lows in upper 20's.    I never use accuweather.  Too unreliable.  TWC temp forcasts are  somewhat accurate, but the most accurate forecasts  I get for my area are all from local sources.  They are nearly always the most accurate out of any.      When I wake up tomorrow and see lows of 18-21, or on sunday, is when when I will believe that it happened.    Im sitting at 34F right now, so IDK if were gonna drop 13F over night before the sun comes up.  Well see.  I hope not but oh well if it does.  At least this looks like the last of the winter like cold.  It doesn't look to get this cold again this season.    Interestingly enough it never got this cold in all of February. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hear ya!  All of February was mild here with only light frosts and now I've had down at 20 and 23 degrees and a few mid-20's at the very end of February and early March.

 

Good luck! It will be short lived!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it was.  got down to 15 yesterday.  and that was daytime.  from what i heard 6 was the low in my area

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my low got down to 27.   still warmer than forecast.   some areas a bit further west got down to lower 20's.  far west towards the mountains saw some upper teens.  back in the mid and upper 50's today. upper 60's low 70's tomorrow and wed before falling back to upper 40's 50's.   so tired of the roller coaster. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well this time there is no denying it.  The forecasts for tonight and for the next several nights are as bad as that old forecast that I said was invalid for its date (which it was).   This has been the warmest winter on record for most places, and spring began popping out as early as late january here in Northern VA / DC.  Now, most things are at or near full bloom, with the famous Cherry Blossoms set to reach peak in 5-9 days. About 5-10% of them are now out.  The rest are in stage 3.  Temps of 27F (where we are at this moment as i type) begins to damage about 10% of the blooms.  Once we hit 24F, the damage is likely to be somewhere near 90%.  The forecast lows are for 24F or slightly lower.  This COULD be the first year on record without any signifigant recorded bloom since there is a high possibility that most, or even all blossoms could be destroyed by the cold in the next couple of days.  THis is likely to be the second coldest spell this winter and this one will last nearly a week to 10 days.  The coldest here was in December.  Over all, it has been the warmest winter on record with almost no snow to speak of.  That all changes  likely monday nignt. We are looking at possibly a foot or more of snow.   

I would definitely be recovering your palms if you have uncovered, or leave them in full winter protection for another week or two.  Winters one last gasp might be one of its worst. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How did you all make out with this last storm yesterday and today? Wishing you a speedy warmup!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, ChrisA said:

How did you all make out with this last storm yesterday and today? Wishing you a speedy warmup!

the snow was wet and a pain to remove.  it wasn't that cold though during the day surprisingly.  quite humid too

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spring has certainly arrived here on the West Coast!

 

Screen Shot 2017-03-14 at 4.27.14 PM.png

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It most certainly has.

 

weather1.jpg

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The snow is gone.  It was another major storm that wasnt really major here.  Just a few inches of snow and 3 inches of sleet on top to pack it down.  Now is when the real danger sets in for spring trees and flowers, esp cherry blossoms  Last night it was 17F.  Tonight about the same, maybe colder.  The high today so far is 25.  I doubt its getting much warmer.  We have had 25-40MPH winds for the past 2 days as well.  

 Most of the trees that were in flower have had the flowers all killed and are now brown.  Im guessing there will not be a cherry blossom bloom in DC this year either.  Im sure that most are toast by now.  Good thing I  got out the day before the storm and took a few pics of the cherry blossoms around here.  They are now dead and brown.   Even the trusty bradford pears which are everywhere (even more than the cherry trees which are widely planted here) are toast.   Our only hopes left for spring flowering trees are dogwoods and Kwanzan Cherry.  Oddly enough, so far, the Thundercloud Plum trees seem to be fairly unfazed by the cold. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spring is well on its way here in Albuquerque as well!  I hope the cold on the east coast is short-lived, however whenever it's coldest there is when it seems to be the warmest here, must be a jet stream thing...

We are at least 20 days earlier than normal, Bradford pears are between flowering and leafing out, purple-leaf plums are at the same stage. Willows have leafed, cottonwoods are in flower, and redbud trees are ready to pop! My palms have begun growing as well. Bring on the heat!

 

Forecast.jpg

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Warm west = cold east, and vice versa.

The forecast has improved a bit here, although it's still quite cold for this time of year. But I see nothing that'd damage any cold hardy palms. Highs will generally be in the low to mid 40's, with nights around freezing. I want my warmth back lol.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's always how it seems to go!  In the winter I always dread when I see the east getting particularly warm.  Fortunately spring's advance can only be slowed not halted.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

The snow is gone.  It was another major storm that wasnt really major here.  Just a few inches of snow and 3 inches of sleet on top to pack it down.  Now is when the real danger sets in for spring trees and flowers, esp cherry blossoms  Last night it was 17F.  Tonight about the same, maybe colder.  The high today so far is 25.  I doubt its getting much warmer.  We have had 25-40MPH winds for the past 2 days as well.  

 Most of the trees that were in flower have had the flowers all killed and are now brown.  Im guessing there will not be a cherry blossom bloom in DC this year either.  Im sure that most are toast by now.  Good thing I  got out the day before the storm and took a few pics of the cherry blossoms around here.  They are now dead and brown.   Even the trusty bradford pears which are everywhere (even more than the cherry trees which are widely planted here) are toast.   Our only hopes left for spring flowering trees are dogwoods and Kwanzan Cherry.  Oddly enough, so far, the Thundercloud Plum trees seem to be fairly unfazed by the cold. 

That's pretty crazy.

It's definitely been a weird year. When we are saying "enough" when it comes to rain, here on the West coast you know things are upside down lol!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2017, 1:04:19, NorCalKing said:

That's pretty crazy.

It's definitely been a weird year. When we are saying "enough" when it comes to rain, here on the West coast you know things are upside down lol!

In deed it has and in deed they are.  We are (or were last I looked) in moderate to severe drought here in the Mid Atlantic as well, from lack of both snow and rain.  That has also led to some pretty severe wildfires here in the east, not the least of which was the Gatlinburg disaster. There have been hundreds more which just have not made near as much news even though many have prompted evacuations and destroyed some property all along the mid Atlantic.

We had a bit of winter in December before it really was winter, than nothing really until March.  Maybe one little snap in Jan.   Hard to remember exactly because I try to forget them as fast as possible.  Hopefully by next august I will live in southern FL so I wont have to worry much with it.  

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have 3 dogwoods out front hoping they will flower nicely! But this second fall or culling of the flowers we had was depressing. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2017, 2:22:01, sashaeffer said:

All mine (7) and S. Minor(5) are all uncovered. Two week forecast looks just fine here in Nebraska. If we get a "surprise" it's easy to cover them back up again.

Y'know Shaeff, technically our entire state is north of Delaware!  (That said, I'm not going to put anything outside for at least another month...)

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

In deed it has and in deed they are.  We are (or were last I looked) in moderate to severe drought here in the Mid Atlantic as well, from lack of both snow and rain.  That has also led to some pretty severe wildfires here in the east, not the least of which was the Gatlinburg disaster. There have been hundreds more which just have not made near as much news even though many have prompted evacuations and destroyed some property all along the mid Atlantic.

We had a bit of winter in December before it really was winter, than nothing really until March.  Maybe one little snap in Jan.   Hard to remember exactly because I try to forget them as fast as possible.  Hopefully by next august I will live in southern FL so I wont have to worry much with it.  

Good luck if you do end up moving. South Florida is a palm paradise!

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both of my small Trachys are chugging right along, both recently opened one new frond each. I like that they grow in cool temps, if I had any of my other palms outdoors their growth would grind to a halt.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2017, 8:14:59, NorCalKing said:

Good luck if you do end up moving. South Florida is a palm paradise!

Thank you!  Oh yes do i know. LOL  Ive wanted to move down there for a decade.  Finally gonna happen.  YAY!       As for the cherry blossoms here, they are blooming, but it looks to be a muted bloom.   Prob about half or so were killed and more could go tonight.  They will peak sat/ sun just in time for the mid 70's weather this weekend.  Well see what they look like.  Right now the puffy white stage is no where near what it normally is.

As for the palms, they ca prob be uncovered here in the mid atlantic.  We are slated to be normal or above and daytime normals are now around 60.  No night time freezes expected for the foreseeable future either.   We could be out of the woods. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice to hear there is light at the end of the tunnel! (that's not a train lol)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im not north of Delaware, but after that last death throw of winter I didnt uncover my exposed chamerops humilis! Sorry poor attempt at humor lol!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now