IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Livistona seeds

Phoenikakias

I have for a beginning 50 seeds of this Livistona to give away: http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Livistona_sp._%27konstantinosa%27

I can send only 10 seeds to each person, mainly because I am bound to mail only whole fruits, since cleaning  off seeds has proven a very difficult and time costing task. So, if intersested, shoot a pm with your address.

• Upvote 3

All people, who have already sent a message, will receive seeds, I need one more volunteer for the end of the second offer.

• 1 month later...

Rats! That's what happens when I goes to sleep. I didn't see this one last night before shutting down! Anymore in the future of this one?

Perhaps one of your fellow countrymen, who's in the list, may share with you some of the resulted seedlings, since seeds of this Livistona germinate as easily as those of chinensis.  I do it always.

Hello Phoenikakias,

did you also send seeds to me? I just want to ask as nothing yet arrived.

Eckhard

• Upvote 1

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

If you get more, I'll take some

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!

• Upvote 1

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Opal92 said:

Got mine yesterday, thanks again Phoenikakias!! Really excited to grow these.

It is really funny how genes flow makes a circle. I mean that seed from mother plant had been harvested in the FTBG, the plant from it had been growing on the other side of the pond and at the most eastern part of southern Europe and now seeds from this plant have returned to Florida!

• Upvote 5

• 3 weeks later...

Another grower has already managed to grow from those seeds a young specimen. 

5915ddba44916_Livkonstatinosia.jpg.c0d03

It bears a certain similarity to my L. chinensis juveniles, which had sprouted naturally under mother tree, but it is not identical.

IMG_20170430_132432.thumb.jpg.973846c8f5IMG_20170430_132422.thumb.jpg.a2925f36f3

Edited by Phoenikakias
  • Upvote 1

And now a comparison between a seed from my Livistona with two seeds from Livistona nitida, which Ed had suggested to be one parent of my plant. 

IMG_20170511_131038.thumb.jpg.cbef1f9ea9

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Greetings Phoenikakias,  just wanted you to know about these livistonia seeds. Checked the bag out a few days ago and found 8 sprouts strangely growing sideways. I had them moved into a pot so that they can correct their direction of growth. I mean, so they can go straight up instead across. Here is some photos of their progress. Thanks again for seeds.   594edd711479b_IMG_09142.thumb.jpg.3a9fb7

• Upvote 3

On 6/25/2017, 10:49:57, Phoenikakias said:

Mind you, they need deep pots to start.

NOW he tells me.

dear god

On 6/25/2017, 10:49:57, Phoenikakias said:

Mind you, they need deep pots to start.

25 cm, maybe?

20 cm are just fine. Kostas grows such a juvenile, which started in the 20 cm liner. 

IMG_0269.thumb.JPG.5946e909fea2c4bed1721

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

20 cm are just fine. Kostas grows such a juvenile, which started in the 20 cm liner. 

IMG_0269.thumb.JPG.5946e909fea2c4bed1721

10 cm is much too short.

Oh well.

No need to worry about it. You still have  time  to pot up germinated seeds in to deep liners. They behave in this respect sort of the kind desert palms do. They produce namely first a long radicle and after two months or so does appear an aerial part. Even then adventive roots are still few if any at all. 

• 1 month later...

Good Day! Here's some strange growing habits for these seedlings. Nice thing is they want to live, yesLivistona.thumb.jpg.1a20e47883711f720f83!

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, ZenMan 1 said:

Good Day! Here's some strange growing habits for these seedlings. Nice thing is they want to live, yesLivistona.thumb.jpg.1a20e47883711f720f83!

They are tougher than to think about when root system is established in the soil.

• 2 weeks later...