IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Should I remove this Washingtonia?

Chris Chance

Been back and forth on this. After I got it trimmed my lady started liking it. I'm thinking about cutting it because of location.  As you can see in these pictures it's actually grown over the walkway and it's located right in front of the front door. Problem I'm running into is the cost of removal and in some ways wouldn't mind carving it into a tiki. This palm was here when we bought the place so I personally didn't plant and probably started from a seed judging by the location. Also these pictures are from last summer and the planter around it looks much different after all the work I've been doing.

Let me know what you all think. I like to hear others thoughts.

20160916_153934-747x1328.jpg

20160916_153943-747x1328.jpg

Edited by Chris Chance
  • Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Jdiaz31089 said:

I actually like them trimmed up and cleaned once they're tall like that. I would clean the boots off the trunk :)

I wanted to clean the trunk but to be honest I'm afraid of heights and so I wont be climbing too high. I agree it would look really nice if the trunk was cleaned. 

I just had one of my Washingtonia's cut down two days ago.  Its root system was enormous and extensive.  We dug a 27 square foot hole (3'x3'x3') we got the rootball out, but there are still many, many roots embedded into the hole's walls and floor. They will hopefully one day serve as nutrients for a future palm. Although I think Washies are in a league of their own when it comes to roots.  And that Washingtonia was only 10 ft tall.  I can only begin to imagine how the root system is on yours. But I assume if you did take it down, you would not plant anything in its stead.

Your Washie looks fine. As others have mentioned, I would clean up the boots. It seems like a great conversational piece.

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

1 hour ago, GottmitAlex said:

I just had one of my Washingtonia's cut down two days ago.  Its root system was enormous and extensive.  We dug a 27 square foot hole (3'x3'x3') we got the rootball out, but there are still many, many roots embedded into the hole's walls and floor. They will hopefully one day serve as nutrients for a future palm. Although I think Washies are in a league of their own when it comes to roots.  And that Washingtonia was only 10 ft tall.  I can only begin to imagine how the root system is on yours. But I assume if you did take it down, you would not plant anything in its stead.

Your Washie looks fine. As others have mentioned, I would clean up the boots. It seems like a great conversational piece.

Whoa that's a lot of roots! Around mine does't seem so bad. I have been planting the area right next to it and I did cut some roots in the process but really didn't plant anything larger than five gallon. My Washie sure is healthy and drops so many seeds. I did think about attaching some Tillandsia to the trunk but not many will even make it in my area. It has some Spanish Moss growing on it now. Might actually look better clean. 

Funny thing about the location is I've been told by some tree trimmers that the roots will lift and crack the walkway there. I said well it appears the trunk has grown over the concrete a bit and concrete still looks fine. 

Chris:

It's up to you whether to take it down or not. It's a fine specimen, and while I'm a palm snob, Washies tell me I'm home again.

As for the roots, they are very extensive, but I wouldn't bother removing them. They'll be this web of decaying stuff that will improve the soil for whatever, if anything, you plant in its place, or in the vicinity.

Tree trimmers don't know as much as (some of them) think they do. Palms don't generally lift concrete. My 800 Pound Gorilla is three times the fatness of your Washie, and the adjoining walk is undisturbed.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Unlike a nice crownshafted palm that increases in value in your yard, Washies (and Queens) are the exact opposite after they have grown out of reach of your pole saw. They're a liability, getting progressively more expensive to maintain and ultimately to remove. They look good only a few months after spending $300 for trimming.

I know the feeling. I have three 30+ footers in my front yard, and every time I have to trim them I wonder if I should take them out. Looking at my wallet and the empty space they will leave, I choose to trim them, knowing full well I'm just postponing the inevitable. Spend money now, or spend a bit less now and then spend much more later.

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAUSAAAAJDllOTc1ZDIxLTgzMjkt

Edited by Pando
  • Upvote 4

53 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Chris:

It's up to you whether to take it down or not. It's a fine specimen, and while I'm a palm snob, Washies tell me I'm home again.

As for the roots, they are very extensive, but I wouldn't bother removing them. They'll be this web of decaying stuff that will improve the soil for whatever, if anything, you plant in its place, or in the vicinity.

Tree trimmers don't know as much as (some of them) think they do. Palms don't generally lift concrete. My 800 Pound Gorilla is three times the fatness of your Washie, and the adjoining walk is undisturbed.

I agree, Washies are so common that I actually look past it all the time. I know others in areas that can't grow them would most likely say keep it. Honestly the roots don't bother me. Truth be told the tree trimmers crack me up because they tell me things like that not understanding the root system of a palm is different from trees. 

56 minutes ago, Pando said:

Unlike a nice crownshafted palm that increases in value in your yard, Washies (and Queens) are the exact opposite after they have grown out of reach of your pole saw. They're a liability, getting progressively more expensive to maintain and ultimately to remove. They look good only a few months after spending $300 for trimming.

I know the feeling. I have three 30+ footers in my front yard, and every time I have to trim them I wonder if I should take them out. Looking at my wallet and the empty space they will leave, I choose to trim them, knowing full well I'm just postponing the inevitable. Spend money now, or spend a bit less now and then spend much more later.

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAUSAAAAJDllOTc1ZDIxLTgzMjkt

Pando you seem to understand my issue here. I would hate to cut it down and also can't afford it at the moment since I have a wedding to pay for this summer. I was told it would cost me $800 to remove at the moment and every year this thing puts on some trunk. At the moment it's the only trunking palm I got. 

If you want to reduce the bill, and don't mind some serious ugly for a while, behead the thing if you can. That will kill it, and allow the trunk to dry out so it will be easier to take down.

I had the same issue with a palm that volunteered by a power pole in front of my place, which SCE killed but didn't remove, which Palmazon and I removed. Those trunks are soft and spongy, but they're very heavy when they're full of water. Once they dry out, they're much lighter. But ugly. And, they're flame-retardant, so they won't burn, unless you throw them into an already blazing Joan of Arc bonfire.

• Upvote 1

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I honestlyrdon't have an opinion on this, because I never had a big one like that. But, off topic, are these little seedlings sprouting? Is naturalization ever an issue?

IMG_2561.PNG

PalmTreeDude

2 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

If you want to reduce the bill, and don't mind some serious ugly for a while, behead the thing if you can. That will kill it, and allow the trunk to dry out so it will be easier to take down.

I had the same issue with a palm that volunteered by a power pole in front of my place, which SCE killed but didn't remove, which Palmazon and I removed. Those trunks are soft and spongy, but they're very heavy when they're full of water. Once they dry out, they're much lighter. But ugly. And, they're flame-retardant, so they won't burn, unless you throw them into an already blazing Joan of Arc bonfire.

Yeah I would have to remove it right away. I did at one point think about cutting about half way down and carving a tiki but I wouldn't be able to do that so I think that option is off the table haha.

2 minutes ago, PalmTreeDude said:

I honestlyrdon't have an opinion on this, because I never had a big one like that. But, off topic, are these little seedlings sprouting? Is naturalization ever an issue?

IMG_2561.PNG

Those are indeed seedlings. I pull them up every day. In fact sometimes they come in so thick it could pass for a lawn. These palms have naturalized all over California and can be found around creeks everywhere. Birds tend to spread them around.

5 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

unless you throw them into an already blazing Joan of Arc bonfire.

LOL I like your morbid humor Dave

4 minutes ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Yea, they probably are washingtonia seedlings. I pull them up all the time in my yard. There's a grove of filferas across my street that are dropping seeds by the pound and they end up all over the adjacent yards thanks to birds and squirrels. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jdiaz31089 said:

LOL I like your morbid humor Dave

Yea, they probably are washingtonia seedlings. I pull them up all the time in my yard. There's a grove of filferas across my street that are dropping seeds by the pound and they end up all over the adjacent yards thanks to birds and squirrels. 

Muah ha ha ha

Coyotes eat the seeds, too, when they're not eating cats . . . :rant: I understand some of the Gabrielenos or other tribes used to eat them, too.

5 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

:rant: I understand some of the Gabrielenos or other tribes used to eat them, too.

You know I think I read they used to make bread with them as well. Basically a flat bread. 

1 minute ago, Chris Chance said:

You know I think I read they used to make bread with them as well. Basically a flat bread. 

I recall they made bread out of acorns, too.

I tried it. The Aztecs were great cooks! They invented Mexican food as we know most of it. Gabrielenos . . . not so much. :sick: (Wash acorns for three hours. Three months would be better, but not enough to remove that bitter taste.)

6 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

I tried it. The Aztecs were great cooks! They invented Mexican food as we know most of it. Gabrielenos . . . not so much. :sick: (Wash acorns for three hours. Three months would be better, but not enough to remove that bitter taste.)

I definitely like Mexican food! I'm now curious about Washie bread though haha.

2 minutes ago, Chris Chance said:

I definitely like Mexican food! I'm now curious about Washie bread though haha.

You eat the seeds, though I found them unpleasant to eat, like b-bs.

Dave of Dave's Garden website was very reluctant to try them:

" Several other cold hardy species have reportedly tasty fruits, notably the Guadalupe Palm (Brahea edulis) and the common California Fan Palm (Washingtonia filifera). I have to admit to not trying either of these, but have heard the former is rather good, particular for cooking. Washingtonia fruits are extremely small and there is barely any fruit surrounding the tiny, beebee sized seeds (which are hard as a rock), so one has to be careful when eating these fruits (or you could lose a filling). "

And here's a link:

http://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Washingtonia+filifera

and a quote from same:

Edible Uses
Edible Parts: Fruit;  Leaves;  Seed.
Edible Uses:

Fruit - raw or cooked or dried for later use[2, 46, 161, 177, 257]. It can be made into jellies and drinks or dried and ground into a meal[46, 183]. The seed can be ground up with the dried fruit and then both are eaten as a porridge[246]. The fruit is small and hard[213], but has a thin sweet pulp that tastes somewhat like dates[183, 213]. The ovoid fruit is about 6mm long and 4mm wide[200]. Young central bud - roasted[46, 177, 183]. Harvesting this central bud will kill the tree since it is unable to make side branches[K]. Young leaf bases - raw or cooked[161, 177]. Seed - cooked. It can be ground into a powder and used for making bread or porridge[161, 183].

18 minutes ago, Chris Chance said:

15 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

I've collected acorns for the past 3 years with a good forager friend of mine. Flavor profiles are different for different oak species. Some acorns are too small and too bitter to bother with (q. wislizeni, q. berberidifolia, q. douglasii). High tannin content and the acorns are so small you'd spend an eternity shelling them to get just a pound of dry flour. We're lucky to live near stands of q. lobata which produces acorns that are the largest of any quercus (if I'm not mistaken) and they have a very low tannin content. Acorn pancakes and acorn soup are two of my favorite recipes! 

Washingtonia seed I've never tried. Perhaps I can give them a shot seeing as to how there are literally dropping by the pound across the street...

Edited by Jdiaz31089

15 minutes ago, Jdiaz31089 said:

I've collected acorns for the past 3 years with a good forager friend of mine. Flavor profiles are different for different oak species. Some acorns are too small and too bitter to bother with (q. wislizeni, q. berberidifolia, q. douglasii). High tannin content and the acorns are so small you'd spend an eternity shelling them to get just a pound of dry flour. We're lucky to live near stands of q. lobata which produces acorns that are the largest of any quercus (if I'm not mistaken) and they have a very low tannin content. Acorn pancakes and acorn soup are two of my favorite recipes! 

That sounds cool!

I tried it with Ohio White Oak, Black Oak and Pin Oak acorns. Ick.

Some acorn soup would rock the house at a PSSC meeting!

Valley Oak Mount Diablo.jpg

jpeg

• Upvote 3

I look at tall palms a little differently I guess. Not too many species normally attain the same height as your common Washingtonia, therefore IMHO it serves a purpose in the landscape and provides a yard/garden with yet another vertical level of interest. Just as many people try and get depth and layers horizontially....layers vertically may also be appreciated.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

I agree with Pando, I would get rid of the problem. They are great in parks but in a house lot, big palms are a pain. 

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

1 hour ago, gtsteve said:

I agree with Pando, I would get rid of the problem. They are great in parks but in a house lot, big palms are a pain. 

I don't have any Washingtonia robustas in my yard other than many small seedlings, which I'm continually pulling out.  My complaint is less with the appearance of my neighbor's W robusta palms, but with the mess I deal with when the winds blow from the east and they drop those prolific seeds in my yard.  So agreeing with Ando, you have to weigh the maintenance costs of keeping them looking nice into the formulation of whether to keep them, but also adding in the time & cost of extracting all those seedlings it will continue to produce.  As far as the roots being invasive goes, in my experience, Syagrus romanzoffiana roots are more likely to crowd out adjacent plantings than a W robusta.  Your robusta is a classic Southern California palm, so no complaints there.... just make sure you are comfortable with the upkeep it requires before deciding to keep it.   Good luck with your decision, but know there is no right or wrong answer to your dilemma.

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

I would say remove the palm and place it back into my garden over here in Europe.
This going to cost a bit but at least you can see the tulips flowering this spring? :rolleyes:

• Upvote 4

Southwest

Dear friends,

The washy stills seen above is it filifera ? the dried boots are not reddish brown and the leaves crown is not dark green like a filifera.

Iam very curious to know the answer.

Thanks and love,

Kris. 

love conquers all..

43278.gif

No I'm pretty certain it's robusta. The red-brown color shows up on the live boots. Once they dry they turn brown just like filifera boots. 

1 hour ago, Kris said:

Dear friends,

The washy stills seen above is it filifera ? the dried boots are not reddish brown and the leaves crown is not dark green like a filifera.

Iam very curious to know the answer.

Thanks and love,

Kris. 

Many years back I bought a Washy at a big box store ( i named it Bob) and I planted it by the kitchen door and it grew and grew and grew to where it was too big for that spot, so I moved it to the other side of the house where it continued to grow until it was taller than the house. It looked great BUT when Hurricane Jeanne roared through Bob snapped in half...fortunately away from the house and not on my roof. I don't know what weather events you have in your area but if the tree is near the house, chop it down.

• Upvote 1

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

18 hours ago, Jdiaz31089 said:

No I'm pretty certain it's robusta. The red-brown color shows up on the live boots. Once they dry they turn brown just like filifera boots. 

Thanks for the info :greenthumb: When possible i will post still of my washy which was grown from seeds tagged as filifera.it growing very fast but it has a stout trunk.And is growing in hot wet tropical climate in south india.

love conquers all..

43278.gif