IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

O Tedybear O Teddybear

sur4z

Here is mine...it had a mineral deficiency early on but is happy happy  now. Let's see yours

IMG_3941.JPG.00ac577944c56a307847bd92e92

• Upvote 7

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

you asks and you gits

IMG_4824.thumb.JPG.b4010c86d022b0610f5ba

• Upvote 6

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

When I first started to see your photo I almost thought it was my teddy bear palm (for a few nano seconds). Your palm still looks like it has a mineral deficiency, most likely potassium deficiency. 

I have two Dypsis leptocheilos palms. My oldest one is in my front yard and it has mineral deficiency, and has had this deficiency ever since my palm was blown over on a 45 degree angle from a hurricane back in 2005. I straightened the palm up, but from that time on it developed the deficiency where the leaves start to die from the tips back. I've given this palm additional potassium 0-0-62 and the problem will not correct itself. Sometimes of the year it looks better than other times, but it's not normal like it was for years before it was blown over.

On the other hand, I have another Dypsis leptocheilos growing in more shade and it doesn't have any deficiency. Both palms get the same kind of fertilizer (8-2-12). Further, the one by my house gets far more water, also, so as to take up the fertilizer, plus i give it extra fertilizer in hopes it would grow out of the deficiency.

I don't have a current photo of either palm, but you can see both palms in the below YouTube video I uploaded. The first teddy bear shows up at the 13:00 mark. The second teddy bear shows up beginning at the 41:30 mark, and then a closer view a minute or so later.

• Upvote 2

Mad about palms

Walt- I agree with you...the leaves look crispy on the ends and though it is time to fertilize again, i believe they have that appearance is not from a deficiency but from wind burn...we've had a month of high winds. However the deficiency I was speaking about is seen about three quarters up the trunk..there is a dark crinkley area that appeared when the tree was mineral deficient but seems to have gown through that problem.-Peter

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

Here are my two, one with seeds, yea!

Walt, I think I've been down that road you are on with fertilizer problems. I was using 8-2-12 and 12-4-12 palm special made by FL company and was having serious K deficiency so I increased the amount and added 0-0-14 in between and the problems just got worse. Those palm specials are not good fertilizer as only a portion of the package is coated for slow release. Once I switched to Nutricote Total 18-6-8 100 day release things are improving a lot. The difference is the entire package is slow release so everything is continuous and in balance. Two other brands I've now heard good stuff of but not yet used are Osmocote and Multicote. Find some threads here from "Keith in SoJax" for some good insight on fertilizer, he works for the Co. that makes Osmocote. And IMO I also think Peter's Teddy still has potassium deficiency, but a beautiful tree nonetheless.

IMG_20170226_161651_353[1].jpg

IMG_20170226_164619_031[1].jpg

• Upvote 4

On 2/24/2017, 2:09:48, sur4z said:

Walt- I agree with you...the leaves look crispy on the ends and though it is time to fertilize again, i believe they have that appearance is not from a deficiency but from wind burn...we've had a month of high winds. However the deficiency I was speaking about is seen about three quarters up the trunk..there is a dark crinkley area that appeared when the tree was mineral deficient but seems to have gown through that problem.-Peter

My soil out here is extremely acidic, so I also apply dolomitic lime to raise the pH up. I also use wood ash (I burn almost all wood and palm debris) as a lime. I've got my pH ups into the 6.0 to 6.5 range, but still seem to get K deficiency. At present time it's not too bad. I am going to post some photos showing my teddy bear palm go quickly down hills after it was partially blown over by two hurricanes (Charley and Jeanne).

Mad about palms

16 hours ago, atlantisrising said:

Here are my two, one with seeds, yea!

Walt, I think I've been down that road you are on with fertilizer problems. I was using 8-2-12 and 12-4-12 palm special made by FL company and was having serious K deficiency so I increased the amount and added 0-0-14 in between and the problems just got worse. Those palm specials are not good fertilizer as only a portion of the package is coated for slow release. Once I switched to Nutricote Total 18-6-8 100 day release things are improving a lot. The difference is the entire package is slow release so everything is continuous and in balance. Two other brands I've now heard good stuff of but not yet used are Osmocote and Multicote. Find some threads here from "Keith in SoJax" for some good insight on fertilizer, he works for the Co. that makes Osmocote. And IMO I also think Peter's Teddy still has potassium deficiency, but a beautiful tree nonetheless.

IMG_20170226_161651_353[1].jpg

IMG_20170226_164619_031[1].jpg

The 8-2-12 (with 2.5% magnesium, plus many minors) does have some slow release N and K. What I do is fertilizer more often but use less so as to combat leaching. However, I found a nursery in Ft. Myers that sell three types of 8-2-12, ranging from all fast release, to some slow release, to all slow release. But the latter is very expensive.  I don't have K deficiency problems with 95% of my palms, it's just this one D. leptocheilos and also a Phoenix sylvestris. The latter has major K deficiency plus some Magnesium deficiency. My pH is about 6.5 around this palm. I don't understand why it has this deficiency, as I have another P. sylvestris that exhibits no deficiency. It probably bad genes.

I have a 50# bag of 15-9-12 Osmocote Plus (5-6 months slow release) and I will broad cast some of that around my teddy bear this week and see what that does.

Mad about palms

Below are four pics showing my Dypsis leptocheilos (teddy bear) palm showing it on  09-04-2002 (shortly after planting). I bought this palm as a 15 gallon size, special ordered at my local Home Depot.

The second pic show how well the palm grew in less than two year later on 07-31-2004, just before the hurricane.

The third pic shows my teddy bear bent over after the hurricane on 09-27-2004

The fourth pic shows my teddy bear exibiting severe K deficiency on 07-26-2005

Teddy%20bear%209-4-2002_zpscrqqyipf.jpg

Teddy%20bear%207-31-2004_zpsvaxbtxih.jpg

Teddy%20bear%209-27-2004_zpsjcietafg.jpg

Teddy%20bear%207-26-2005_zpsv1jghaa4.jpg

• Upvote 1

Mad about palms

Walt, did they recover?

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Dave, Yes, the palm recovered, but the point is, from that point (blown over on a 45 degree angle by Hurricane Jeanne), the palm went into a K deficiency. That's so puzzling to me. It's going on 12 years now. I will try to post a photo of what the palm looks like as of today.

Mad about palms

On 2/27/2017, 8:45:27, Walt said:

My soil out here is extremely acidic, so I also apply dolomitic lime to raise the pH up. I also use wood ash (I burn almost all wood and palm debris) as a lime. I've got my pH ups into the 6.0 to 6.5 range, but still seem to get K deficiency. At present time it's not too bad. I am going to post some photos showing my teddy bear palm go quickly down hills after it was partially blown over by two hurricanes (Charley and Jeanne).

Will acidic soil cause poor potassium uptake? I have a butia x parajubaea that is starting to show k deficiency like Alberto's in Brazil. I'm pretty sure my soul is acidic. We call it blackjack (black clay)

1 hour ago, Tropicdoc said:

Will acidic soil cause poor potassium uptake? I have a butia x parajubaea that is starting to show k deficiency like Alberto's in Brazil. I'm pretty sure my soul is acidic. We call it blackjack (black clay)

The ideal pH range for palms (for best uptake of minerals) is between 5.5 and 6.5 (at least that is what the University of Florida says in their palm literature). I did a composite pH test 15 years ago of my soil and it actually measured 3.69! That is very acidic. Conversely, those on the Florida coast where there's more limestone and sea shells, the pH is very high (not good for mineral uptake).

If the pH is too far out of the desirable range, there will be less uptake of minerals even if it's available to the palm. You need to check your soil pH and find out what it is. Our county extension office charges $3.00 a sample.You should be able to find somebody to to a soil pH test. I would call a local landscaping company and ask they where they have their tests done.

Mad about palms

This is my oldest Dypsis leptocheilos palm, still showing what I believe is K deficiency. This is the same palm shown in the above photos, although the landscape has changed some. I lost lots of red bay trees that used to be in the background to laurel wilt disease. Of course, other palms and trees have taken the bay tree's places.

Teddy%20bear%20palm%202-28-17_zpsaqk8ycv

• Upvote 2

Mad about palms

13 minutes ago, Walt said:

This is my oldest Dypsis leptocheilos palm, still showing what I believe is K deficiency. This is the same palm shown in the above photos, although the landscape has changed some. I lost lots of red bay trees that used to be in the background to laurel wilt disease. Of course, other palms and trees have taken the bay tree's places.

Teddy%20bear%20palm%202-28-17_zpsaqk8ycv

Beautiful specimen Walt. How old is it?

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

9 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

Beautiful specimen Walt. How old is it?

Not sure how old the palm is from seed, but I bought it as a 15 gallon size in the summer of 2002 (as shown in photo in one of my previous posts). So, I've had it about 14-1/2 years now. During that time its been mostly defoliated by freeze and frost on several occasions -- but not in the past five winters. I believe this past winter Florida has set an all-time record for warmth. It certainly has been the warmest winter since I moved here in 1997.

BTW, I partially planted four coconuts (from my coconut palm) several months ago up against the south foundation of my house. I choose that spot since it gets direct sun during the day and the CMU walls absorb heat that it re releases at night, keeping the coconuts warmer than they would otherwise. Well, one of them is sprouting! I'm hoping the other three will also sprout, but if not I'm at least hoping the one survives.

• Upvote 1

Mad about palms

My Teddy Bear has gotten thrashed in the SoCal Santa Ana winds for the last two years.  I know that they need a lot of water, but mine appears to be on its last legs.  I'm hoping that lots of water and fertilizer will help it to come back, but I'm curious as to how others' have fared after big wind events in Southern California (dry winds, pretty intense in my area lasting a couple of days at a time).  The Teddy Bear really seems to suffer the most from these conditions, many of my other palms are fine.

11 minutes ago, ChrisJordanDDS said:

My Teddy Bear has gotten thrashed in the SoCal Santa Ana winds for the last two years.  I know that they need a lot of water, but mine appears to be on its last legs.  I'm hoping that lots of water and fertilizer will help it to come back, but I'm curious as to how others' have fared after big wind events in Southern California (dry winds, pretty intense in my area lasting a couple of days at a time).  The Teddy Bear really seems to suffer the most from these conditions, many of my other palms are fine.

Could post some pictures?

No doubt high, dry winds can desiccate palm leaves. I had palms that experienced that during a hurricane where it virtually didn't rain. Two days of dry wind, and it really browned many leaves. But cold dry winds are worse. In January of 2003 we had an advective cold front that really wreaked havoc on palms, traveller's palms, white bird of paradise, etc.

Mad about palms

On 3/1/2017, 12:50:35, DoomsDave said:

Could post some pictures?

I cut off the totally brown leaves, the last remaining leaf is about 50% brown, the spear doesn't pull out.  There was another longer spear that was there, which tipped over in the last wind so I cut it off.

IMG_9199.JPG

Below is my youngest teddy bear palm. So far it hasn't shown any signs of mineral deficiencies. This palm is in more shaded conditions than my old palm, and the fronds are longer. This palm has never had any frost damage due to higher tree canopy, keeping the area a few degrees warmer and less prone to frost formation.

Teddy%20bear%202_zpsr4grsmhj.jpg

Teddy%20bear%202%20trunk_zpsvf5rdeev.jpg

• Upvote 1

Mad about palms