IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

I've obtained a double seeding with this mule palm seed but one of them look like it's developing two different plumules. What do you think? :blink:

double_plumule.thumb.jpg.6faa4850bd95b08

• Upvote 6

08053.gif

31 minutes ago, Kai said:

Yup looks like it. That must be 2 in a million!

Lucky me! This seed has been triple joy then.

• Upvote 1

08053.gif

That's awesome!  I've seen photos of triples and even quadruples from growers of mules and butias.  I've never seen the inside of a mule palm seed, but I've cracked open butia seeds and they often contain 4 embryos.  Here is a link to a photo:  http://mulepalm.com/seedlings_6.html

I'm not sure if these can be easily separated or just allow to grow together.

• Upvote 2

Jon Sunder

It's weird as hell.

@Fusca I'm not going to separate them I want a clump which with time the different palms curve their stems due to the crown shyness effect (I think is called that way)

@Pal Meir Clearly I've sent my gemini vibes and I've a twin brother too :D

08053.gif

I see this a couple times a year. I have yet to see one survive past the seedling stage. I have pulled 4 quads in the last 10 years.

13669757_1147715938623262_6193799583684541076_n.jpg

• Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, ErikSJI said:

I see this a couple times a year. I have yet to see one survive past the seedling stage. I have pulled 4 quads in the last 10 years.

13669757_1147715938623262_6193799583684541076_n.jpg

Your seedlings are nothing unusual: There is only one seedling per seed because the fruit contains four separate seeds. But the twin in Sanips’ fruit grows out of only one seed.

• Upvote 2

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

21 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

Your seedlings are nothing unusual: There is only one seedling per seed because the fruit contains four separate seeds. But the twin in Sanips’ fruit grows out of only one seed.

I would have to disagree with you. There is only one seed. I have cracked many of these seeds open. Like a coconut, in this seed there are 3 functioning pores per seed. I can crack some open if you would like to see. You can also clearly see the embryo when cracked open.

23 minutes ago, ErikSJI said:

I would have to disagree with you. There is only one seed. I have cracked many of these seeds open. Like a coconut, in this seed there are 3 functioning pores per seed. I can crack some open if you would like to see. You can also clearly see the embryo when cracked open.

Oh, that’s interesting. I thought it would be like the multi-seeded nuts of Butia or Attalea, e.g. (Cf. my pic below.) — But I think there is still a difference: Your seedlings seem to sprout from different embryos whereas  Sanips’ twins seems to come out of the same one embryo, as it looks to me.

58b58b3247d74_ButiaSeeds72N11-0433.thumb

• Upvote 2

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

A little update. The twins (Pollux and Castor) are putting distance between them :lol:

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

08053.gif

• 4 years later...

I found a white cap like thing about the size of half a ping pong ball.  I picked it up and two 6 inch roots came with it.  I dedided to try to grown it.  I now have a tropical plant about 10 inches tall with 6 "leaves "  coming out of a center stalk.  The leaves alternate.  What do I have?  The white cap is still attached to the stem.  

• 2 years later...