IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hydriastele pinangoides care

topwater

My H. pinangoides is out growing its pot and is ready to plant.   My problem is that my indoor hot house has very little shade and my Arecas are hogging those areas. Ive heard that the H. pin can grow in full sun but is happier in the shade.  My question is, do y'all growing them think it will do okay with a few hours of full sun each day or will it fry? It's the only one I have so I can't afford to experiment to much. It's a really unique beauty of a palm, but I suppose I say that about all of them. Thanks. 

IMG_0109.JPG

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, topwater said:

My understanding is that pinangoides is the most widely grown Hydriastele sp., very common?

I would see that it's not so a common indoor palm, so I wish you'll success with your Hydriastele

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Its going into the ground in my atrium where temps run from 115f to a low of 44f, with more humidity than is comfortable, at least for me.  :)  The glass ceiling is tinted, maybe equivalent to 25% shade cloth, I guess I'll put it in a sunny spot under 75% cloth and see if it burns.  Only Bottle palms and C. renda have been able to handle the hot spots so far, and I'm probably going to shade the lipsticks through the hot part of the summer this year, they kind of suffered through last August. Thanks

This is a tropical species. I do not suggest giving it more than a couple of hours or so of sun. These enjoy moist soil always and high humidity.

• Upvote 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

5 hours ago, topwater said:

Its going into the ground in my atrium where temps run from 115f to a low of 44f, with more humidity than is comfortable, at least for me.  :)  The glass ceiling is tinted, maybe equivalent to 25% shade cloth, I guess I'll put it in a sunny spot under 75% cloth and see if it burns.  Only Bottle palms and C. renda have been able to handle the hot spots so far, and I'm probably going to shade the lipsticks through the hot part of the summer this year, they kind of suffered through last August. Thanks

Looking forward to seeing update pictures of this well looked after palm, it seems to me you Love your palms and give them all cares you can, thought, as Jeff mention, they are tropical species and not so much suited to your climate.

• Upvote 1

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Thanks for the advice.  My biggest problem in my atrium is some palms can't take the heat.  I've had temps pushing 120f in August. I've only had to run the heater once. When it got down to 28 outside the temp dropped  to 44 inside which I suppose is pushing it for the C. renda.  

IMG_0304.JPG

• Upvote 1

The glass on the ceiling is somewhat tinted, the sides are clear, plenty of heat and humidity for sure.  During August I can only work in there at night. :)

IMG_0305.JPG

11 hours ago, doranakandawatta said:

Looking forward to seeing update pictures of this well looked after palm, it seems to me you Love your palms and give them all cares you can, thought, as Jeff mention, they are tropical species and not so much suited to your climate.

I do my best, I don't show pics of the ones that croak!  Thank God I don't live in south FL, I probably would have already blown my meager retirement fund at Jeffs place. 

Is there anyway you can change out one of the fixed upper glass panels for a louvered window ? You really need some circulating air to help avoid spider mites and fungus problems in the future.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

• 2 weeks later...

H. pinangoides can get pretty tall, taller than I expected. It used to be shaded by a large Lychee tree which has since been removed. Still burns a bit, but is a hardy and robust grower. Here are a few photos with a water bottle at the base for scale. It's located right next to an H. affines which is a much smaller, daintier palm.

Tim 

P1060012.jpg

P1060011.jpg

P1060013.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii