IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Floods in Northern California

DoomsDave

Everyone:

I'm getting a little nostalgic for the drought.

First the D. sainluciei, now this:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/downstream-communities-brace-for-flooding-as-dams-overflow/ar-AAn9LNz?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=spartanntp

Praying for all of our Palm Talkers up north, hope the water stays put., away from you.

This type of thing is far from unprecedented, however. The picture below is from the Great California Flood of 1861 - 62.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Flood_of_1862

And, dread the ARkStorm . . . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARkStorm

800px-K_Street%2C_Inundation_of_the_Stat

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Yike.

AAnaUJF.jpg.6b00f85991c1b1d10ec82d67619dAAn8Wg4.jpg.43862e73a9ec396e77a4fbd8d477

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

ARkStorm flooding, projected.

California_ARkStorm_Flood_Areas.jpg

I've read somewhere that the Central Valley was once a large, inland sea connected to the pacific via SF Bay. When we get a lot of rain, ol' Tulare Lake is resurrected. I can see the outline of it in the map you posted. It was a shallow lake about 35 miles in diameter. It was drained for agricultural use and now you can drive right through the lake bed and not ever know it. 

• Upvote 1

This february has been one of the wettest on record for the whole west coast. It worst for you guys since some of the areas in Cali haven seen rain in few years so the ground is so dry it just can’t absorb all that rain like it does up here. Lots of mudslides in the PNW this month, glad its almost over. 

We are now the Wet Coast. For awhile at least.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

We are now the Wet Coast. For awhile at least.

Be careful what you wish for another big storm is coming this weekend I am afraid. Feel sorry for you guys in some areas it will take 8-9 more weeks before the water level goes down to normal. 

8 hours ago, Palm crazy said:

Be careful what you wish for another big storm is coming this weekend I am afraid. Feel sorry for you guys in some areas it will take 8-9 more weeks before the water level goes down to normal. 

Not wishing any more. Keeping my giant rubber duckie at the ready.

Most of that wonderful agua down here rolls out into the Pacific.

11 hours ago, Palm crazy said:

10 day forecast for the San Francisco Bay area looks rather benign. Indeed, it is quite beautiful today. At first reckoning, it appears as if the state's general transport and reservoir infrastructure has taken a decent hit in some areas. Cracks me up how so many Gringo tourists are quick to criticize the condition of the roads in southern Mexico, Costa Rica and so forth (where it REALLY rains for months on end) when a single, short, sharp dose of winter storms lays waste to very real chunks of California's roadways, dam spillways, smaller bridges, etc. Was driving on 19th Ave in SF yesterday afternoon and the asphalt looked like they imported it - at top Fair Trade dollar, no doubt - from Mogadishu.

Course we *soon* will have a spanking-new high speed rail line as a booby prize ;^)

• Upvote 1

Good new beginning next week the whole west coast will be sunny. I always thought if I lived in the bay area I would like to live in San Jose. But after seeing the valley flooded so badly I’m glad I didn’t. Of course this is probably a 100 year flood.