IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis onilahensis in the Evening Garden

doranakandawatta

seedlings we got in 2013, planted in the garden in august 2016:

P1030087.thumb.JPG.770d3207480e7462deee3P1030088.thumb.JPG.2dbcfd21be2b13d0d8c93P1030089.thumb.JPG.8b5d7e188331110058d14P1030102.thumb.JPG.082954bcb2082081e9519P1030103.thumb.JPG.5dad4900540d41c9d2883

Do you think these are the weeping form?

• Upvote 8

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

The last one sure looks like it. The difference one the ones I'm growing is that the weepy ones have uniformly "lax" leaves, while the upright form has definite re-curved leaf tips, similar to D. decaryi. Is the third picture onilihensis as well? It's got some great stem color on it..

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

1 hour ago, quaman58 said:

Sorry, I meant 4th.

Yes, it should be ...

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

9 hours ago, doranakandawatta said:

Do you think these are the weeping form?

Yes.

7 hours ago, quaman58 said:

The difference one the ones I'm growing is that the weepy ones have uniformly "lax" leaves, while the upright form has definite re-curved leaf tips, similar to D. decaryi. Is the third picture onilihensis as well?

Bret, I'm curious as to your thoughts on the one below.  This is a "newer plant" to me, as I do have a couple of older D onilahensis which are clearly "weepy", but this one I'm not so sure about.  It isn't as droppy as the other two I have had for several years.

20170219-104A5215.jpg

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

12 hours ago, Tracy said:

Yes.

Bret, I'm curious as to your thoughts on the one below.  This is a "newer plant" to me, as I do have a couple of older D onilahensis which are clearly "weepy", but this one I'm not so sure about.  It isn't as droppy as the other two I have had for several years.

20170219-104A5215.jpg

Tracy,

I was unsuccessfully attempting to find an old thread of mine from way back, in which I showed some progress pictures of an upright form in my yard. At the size of the palm above, it was very close in appearance. The leaves began to recurve as it got it's first ring of trunk.

Bret

• Upvote 1

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"