Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Chamaedorea Radicalis Surprise

10 posts in this topic

I was doing some re-potting of various plants and palms a couple days ago. I emptied a pot of soil out on the ground, and a sprouted palm seed caught my eye. Upon a close look, I found out it was a C. radicalis seedling that I had tried to sprout last year! I must have lost the seed in the pot it originally was in so I used the soil to pot something else (in this case a R. regia seedling). It's my only C. radicalis I've gotten to sprout so far and I really hope I can keep it alive. I've never seen one of this species in this part of Florida.

IMG_9321.thumb.JPG.c356c2f09a2ba4af88330

IMG_9320.thumb.JPG.abebf44fca2fd987ee10e

IMG_9322.thumb.JPG.17e9c9afbee36df862183

Potting it up.

IMG_9324.thumb.JPG.247921df2d5803e68e8a0

Advice help if you can- did I plant it too deep?

IMG_9325.thumb.JPG.4b472e7e4316df0114716

Good news, 

it shows one has to be patient and wait, best wishes for your C. radicals babies!

Good luck! — BTW I wouldn’t plant the seedling so deep:

58a6dfddcd2ab_BroschatMeerow2000-169P102

9 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

Good luck! — BTW I wouldn’t plant the seedling so deep:

Got it- thanks! I'll re-position it.

Did I send you free seed? Sometimes they do take a while.

36 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Did I send you free seed? Sometimes they do take a while.

Oh yeah, they were yours! Made a bunch of rookie mistakes with a lot of them. Happy I got one to sprout though.

If you want more . . . shoot me a PM

Im surprised how many seeds I've given up on only to have them germinate as much as a year later.

Posted (edited)

Nevermind, it's another Roystonea regia!! :lol:

IMG_9481.thumb.JPG.630d2fcdd9b79b06e9e5b

Edited by Opal92

On 2/19/2017, 10:38:49, palmislandRandy said:

Im surprised how many seeds I've given up on only to have them germinate as much as a year later.

Me too!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• First Inflorescence of C.cataractarum in my Office!
      By Funkthulhu
      Just wanted to post some pictures of my Cham. cat. because it has never bloomed before and this is the largest palm I've ever had do so. (so far)  One popped last week, the other was open when I came in to work on Monday.
      Is there a way I can better promote pollination?  I've kinda "simulated wind" with enough shaking to make them both dust each other up.  Any other suggestions?

• Is this a Chamaedorea Elegans "Bella"?
      By RobustaEnvirons
      Hello everyone! Today while at a local department store I was browsing around the Garden section and I spotted a couple tiny little palms. I instantly thought "Could this be a Chamaedorea Elegans "Bella")? But, I wasn't sure and I'm still not entirely sure of what it is. Right then and there in the store I got on my phone and undertook a bit of "research" and looked up pictures of C. Elegans and compared them, I visited the growers website, scanned the UPC code, and etc. The specimens for sale don't provide any information on their sales tags as to what they are. The grower doesn't provide any real information on them either and only refers to them as "Foilage", which does me no good. Not in the least bit helpful. 
      I've been looking into buying Chamaedorea Elegans "Bella" for a little bit of time, so I was excited to possibly see them for sale so affordably. I ended up just going on what info I had and I bought each of the little palms for $2.99 a piece and picked up a 10" pot for $4.99 and proceeded home to pot them up. I asked some friends online and we weren't able to come upon a definite conclusion, but we're farely certain these could be Chamaedorea Elegans "Bella". I realize that this container is probably a little on the large side for both of these right now, but I don't want to have to worry about repotting them for a while. I potted them in Miracle Grow potting mix and I noticed its got Peat and Perlite mixed in. Its a rather standard mix you'll see in their products. I planted them both as a group, right next to each other so as to appear as one. 
      What does you guys think? Are these Chamaedorea Elegans "Bella", or another palm? What could they be if not C. Elegans?   

• Oh happy day!
      By Jdiaz31089
      I checked my community pots today and was delighted to finally see movement on several batches of seed! Nothing extraordinary, but I definitely just wanted to share my excitement.
      I have germination on Sabal Lisa (tons of them! Thanks Zeeth, and Meg!)
      Kentiopsis oliviformis
      Cocothrinax miraguama var. havanensis
      coccothrinax argentea
      Ravenea rivularis - pictured here
      Chambeyronia macrocarpa- blonde (Thanks Josh Allen)
      Aiphanes mínima  (will live potted for as long as I can keep them)
      Bismarkia nobilis - green and blue form
      Stemadennia littoralis- not a palm, but really looking forward to growing these out.

• Chamaedorea Robusta?
      By sashaeffer
      Was at a nursery today and they had a couple palms marked "Chamaedorea Robusta"  The owner wasn't there to ask in the people on staff couldn't tell me anything about it and I don't see anything specific on the Internet when I Google it. Anyone here for that species?
    • Instant Gratification- What are the Fastest, Most Quickly Rewarding Palms to Grow From Seed?
      By Opal92
      Many people have hobbies where you can get the desired object in it's fullest form immediately (cars, antiques, gemstones...). And yes, you can get palms mature (although not feasible for many of us), but as for palms from seed, it can take decades for them to get full sized in the landscape.
      I've recently marveled at how slow of a process it is for all my palm germination endeavors. Currently waiting on over 50 seeds to sprout. Since I started palm germinating last spring, some species have taken as long as 2 months to even sprout, much longer than many non-palm plants.
      However, there have been a few species that have had easy germination and very fast growth, and have been very rewarding.
      I'd like to comprise a list of what palms are instantly rewarding (as far as a palm goes) in terms of very quick growth.

Palms I've found to be "instantly rewarding" so far are:
      1. Washingtonia (in this case filifera, but I understand robusta and hybrid are just as fast)
      2. Syagrus romanzoffiana (Not quite as speedy quick to germinate (about 1 month for me), but continuous fast growth afterward)
      3. Roystonea regia (Not quite as quick as the above 2, but still pretty quick)

Which ones in your experience are the fastest most quickly satisfying to grow? And if possible, post pictures to show the growth rate (I'll post pictures of mine shortly).