Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Chamaedorea Radicalis Surprise

10 posts in this topic

I was doing some re-potting of various plants and palms a couple days ago. I emptied a pot of soil out on the ground, and a sprouted palm seed caught my eye. Upon a close look, I found out it was a C. radicalis seedling that I had tried to sprout last year! I must have lost the seed in the pot it originally was in so I used the soil to pot something else (in this case a R. regia seedling). It's my only C. radicalis I've gotten to sprout so far and I really hope I can keep it alive. I've never seen one of this species in this part of Florida.

IMG_9321.thumb.JPG.c356c2f09a2ba4af88330

IMG_9320.thumb.JPG.abebf44fca2fd987ee10e

IMG_9322.thumb.JPG.17e9c9afbee36df862183

Potting it up.

IMG_9324.thumb.JPG.247921df2d5803e68e8a0

Advice help if you can- did I plant it too deep?

IMG_9325.thumb.JPG.4b472e7e4316df0114716

Good news, 

it shows one has to be patient and wait, best wishes for your C. radicals babies!

Good luck! — BTW I wouldn’t plant the seedling so deep:

58a6dfddcd2ab_BroschatMeerow2000-169P102

9 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

Good luck! — BTW I wouldn’t plant the seedling so deep:

Got it- thanks! I'll re-position it.

Did I send you free seed? Sometimes they do take a while.

36 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Did I send you free seed? Sometimes they do take a while.

Oh yeah, they were yours! Made a bunch of rookie mistakes with a lot of them. Happy I got one to sprout though.

If you want more . . . shoot me a PM

Im surprised how many seeds I've given up on only to have them germinate as much as a year later.

Posted (edited)

Nevermind, it's another Roystonea regia!! :lol:

IMG_9481.thumb.JPG.630d2fcdd9b79b06e9e5b

Edited by Opal92

On 2/19/2017, 10:38:49, palmislandRandy said:

Im surprised how many seeds I've given up on only to have them germinate as much as a year later.

Me too!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• Chamaedorea Robusta?
      By sashaeffer
      Was at a nursery today and they had a couple palms marked "Chamaedorea Robusta"  The owner wasn't there to ask in the people on staff couldn't tell me anything about it and I don't see anything specific on the Internet when I Google it. Anyone here for that species?
    • Instant Gratification- What are the Fastest, Most Quickly Rewarding Palms to Grow From Seed?
      By Opal92
      Many people have hobbies where you can get the desired object in it's fullest form immediately (cars, antiques, gemstones...). And yes, you can get palms mature (although not feasible for many of us), but as for palms from seed, it can take decades for them to get full sized in the landscape.
      I've recently marveled at how slow of a process it is for all my palm germination endeavors. Currently waiting on over 50 seeds to sprout. Since I started palm germinating last spring, some species have taken as long as 2 months to even sprout, much longer than many non-palm plants.
      However, there have been a few species that have had easy germination and very fast growth, and have been very rewarding.
      I'd like to comprise a list of what palms are instantly rewarding (as far as a palm goes) in terms of very quick growth.

Palms I've found to be "instantly rewarding" so far are:
      1. Washingtonia (in this case filifera, but I understand robusta and hybrid are just as fast)
      2. Syagrus romanzoffiana (Not quite as speedy quick to germinate (about 1 month for me), but continuous fast growth afterward)
      3. Roystonea regia (Not quite as quick as the above 2, but still pretty quick)

Which ones in your experience are the fastest most quickly satisfying to grow? And if possible, post pictures to show the growth rate (I'll post pictures of mine shortly).
    • Your First Time Germinating a Palm?
      By PalmTreeDude
      Mine was about a year and a half ago, I believe. I forgot what palm it was, but I remeber the seed sprouted and of course I ended up killing it somehow. 
    • Chamaedorea ID
      By Kajsa12
      Hi, a happy 2017 to you all.
      My first post on PT, although I' ve been reading here for some time.

A few years ago I bought 3 Chamaedorea spp. from a nursery in our country.. They were from different batches and all were sold as Chamaedorea elegans 'Jade'.
      Neither of them looked like C. elegans to me, so I hope you can help me with the correct ID.
      I've been searching on Palmpedia and reserchgate (for floral structures, see:https://www.researchgate.net/publication/28238365_Floral_structure_in_the_Neotropical_palm_genus_Chamaedorea_Arecoideae_Arecaceae)

The first one:

The closest I could get is Chamaedorea sartorii (female), but I hope someone can confirm this.

Cheers, Henri
    • Burretiokentia
      By KrisKupsch
      Hello and welcome to 2017,
      I understand some people haven't had the opportunity to germinate these species at all, except maybe Burretiokentia hapala and B.vieillardii. 
      Have enough trials been done to ascertain a rank out of 5, 1 being difficult and 5 easy of the species?
      I'm currently going with:
      B.dumasii ? never tried it. 
      B.grandiflora 1 (obtained 1 from 10 seeds)
      B.hapala 4 (seed down now but apparently not too difficult to sprout).
      B.koghiensis ? never tried it.
      B.vieillardii 3 (6 from 20 seeds). 
      Any information/experiences would help boost my efforts down the track.
      obviously a number of variables could be concerned ie cultural factors, but please share. I like % rates of success being a good measure. 
      regards Kris