IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Who Grows Bougainvillea Arborea?

gilles06

Hi Folks,

I am wondering if it would be a good candidate for my 9b med climate?

Looks good, a boungainvilea without thorns and that grows naturally as a tree! And cherry on the cake, flowers are perfumed...

But i am not sure i will find one in Europe?

Do you grow one, show picture please.

Salut ;)

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

12 hours ago, gilles06 said:

Hi Folks,

I am wondering if it would be a good candidate for my 9b med climate?

Looks good, a boungainvilea without thorns and that grows naturally as a tree! And cherry on the cake, flowers are perfumed...

But i am not sure i will find one in Europe?

Do you grow one, show picture please.

Salut ;)

I have one.  Dark out now though.  It's nice because it does not drop leaves in cool/damp like other Bougies do for me in my 9b Med climate.

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Thanks Ben,

Why is it so rare?

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

It isn't rare, I grow one although I'm in zone 10.These pictures aren't recent but gives an idea about the form when cramped up by giant bamboo.

20160316_121156.thumb.jpg.5b392ce06fa3f720160316_121219.thumb.jpg.4375481b6f3c98

• Upvote 1

Ah!

That looks like B. "Torchglow."

Except TG is magenta red.

That's not rare, or at least not super-rare. It's in the nurseries. I even have one, struggling to survive. Hmm. Didn't know the flowers smelled.

Learn something new every day!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

1 hour ago, DoomsDave said:

Ah!

That looks like B. "Torchglow."

Except TG is magenta red.

That's not rare, or at least not super-rare. It's in the nurseries. I even have one, struggling to survive. Hmm. Didn't know the flowers smelled.

Learn something new every day!

Hi Dave,

Not super rare in the Us, but i can't find one in Europe...

Thanks for reporting.

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

10 hours ago, Jdiaz31089 said:

It kind of looks like a crepe myrtle to the untrained eye.

Yeah, but not deciduous.  I hate deciduous.

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Tho I haven't tried it personally in SoCal, I know of two people who have grown it. One (an enthusiast who currently flowers a Lagerstoemia speciosa from me in LA Co) received a small FL-sourced plant from me; it slowly dwindled over a couple years, eventually succumbing. Another is a small grower in N. San Diego Co (now mostly defunct) who had several plants in 5s (and others in an unheated greenhouse). This grower said that they seemed no more cold-sensitive than other forms of B. glabra, B. spectabilis. But they stayed small/bushy, perhaps lacking sufficient heat (?) to put up vigorous upright growth (aka become treelike).

FWIW, the current thought is that "B. arborea" is not a valid species; rather, it is likely an upright, thornless (and fragrant) form of either B. glabra or B. spectabilis. Perhaps Eric Schmidt can relate his visit from Harri Lorenzi on this.

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

5 hours ago, fastfeat said:

Tho I haven't tried it personally in SoCal, I know of two people who have grown it. One (an enthusiast who currently flowers a Lagerstoemia speciosa from me in LA Co) received a small FL-sourced plant from me; it slowly dwindled over a couple years, eventually succumbing. Another is a small grower in N. San Diego Co (now mostly defunct) who had several plants in 5s (and others in an unheated greenhouse). This grower said that they seemed no more cold-sensitive than other forms of B. glabra, B. spectabilis. But they stayed small/bushy, perhaps lacking sufficient heat (?) to put up vigorous upright growth (aka become treelike).

FWIW, the current thought is that "B. arborea" is not a valid species; rather, it is likely an upright, thornless (and fragrant) form of either B. glabra or B. spectabilis. Perhaps Eric Schmidt can relate his visit from Harri Lorenzi on this.

They are less vigorous, but far cold hardier than other varieties.  Below you can see my small specimen that has experienced no leaf drop this winter.  You might notice a standard bougainvillea behind it that has dropped many of its leaves.

16830854_10154106364977234_3481423249276

• Upvote 2

Ben Rogers

Looking good! Post some pics after they get some good summer heat behind 'em too...

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Bougainvillea arborea is an invalid name. Dr. Lorenzi said what is being called Bougainvillea arborea is actually the true Bougainvillea glabra and is a tree. In his book it is described as a tree growing 10-12 meters high and is native to the states of Bahia, Minas Gerais, Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo, Mato Grosso do Sul, and Santa Catarina, in pluvial Atlantic forest and semideciduous forests of the Parana River basin.

• Upvote 2

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

On 2/19/2017, 11:22:40, Ben in Norcal said:

They are less vigorous, but far cold hardier than other varieties.  Below you can see my small specimen that has experienced no leaf drop this winter.  You might notice a standard bougainvillea behind it that has dropped many of its leaves.

16830854_10154106364977234_3481423249276

What's the coldest it has been?  I'm in zone 8 and am aware that some folks plant the more common types as a perennial, but having them killed to the ground every year isn't of much interest to me.  If this type is holding on to leaves during a zone 9 winter, it might be worth trying here.

22 minutes ago, Turtlesteve said:

What's the coldest it has been?  I'm in zone 8 and am aware that some folks plant the more common types as a perennial, but having them killed to the ground every year isn't of much interest to me.  If this type is holding on to leaves during a zone 9 winter, it might be worth trying here.

We've seen 31 or so this year? We're closer to low 10a here, last 5 years at least. But it does freeze several times a year, enough to defoliate bananas.

Ben Rogers

17 hours ago, Eric in Orlando said:

Bougainvillea arborea is an invalid name. Dr. Lorenzi said what is being called Bougainvillea arborea is actually the true Bougainvillea glabra and is a tree. In his book it is described as a tree growing 10-12 meters high and is native to the states of Bahia, Minas Gerais, Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo, Mato Grosso do Sul, and Santa Catarina, in pluvial Atlantic forest and semideciduous forests of the Parana River basin.

Thanks Eric for this info ;)

• Upvote 1

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet