IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PalmTreeDude

My newest palms are sending small Needlw Palm seedling I germinated, so far they are doing well! What are your newest palms?

• Upvote 3

PalmTreeDude

I bought a 2-leaf seedling of Adonidia dransfieldii at the Hawaii Island Palm Society auction. 

• Upvote 3

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Ordered a Licuala Grandis, Sabal minor louisiana, and Allagoptera arenaria. Three palms I've always wanted. Cant wait till I get them. 

• Upvote 1

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

A few months ago I germinated a Phoenix dactylifera, the seed came from the first ever date I ate, it was a Medjool, they're surprisingly good. I'm currently waiting on the third strap leaf to appear. Hopefully I see split fronds this year.

Also, not exactly a new palm, but I salvaged a single healthy Chamaedorea elegens from a dead/dying clump I had (they seem to resent being outdoors). I imagine it'll take off now as it's in its own pot with no competition.

• Upvote 2

I've had them in pots for a while, but these went in the ground yesterday - so they're my newest palms in the ground. That reminds me! I need to check my seedling trays today!

Not pictured - two double chamaedorea plumosa

Dypsis onilahensis - 3 trunked plant and it looks like the trunk on the left is splitting also. 

20170212_135243.thumb.jpg.5e5bfc013ef369

Brahea moorei

20170212_135317.thumb.jpg.35355fa1bbe44c

• Upvote 5

16 hours ago, Kim said:

I bought a 2-leaf seedling of Adonidia dransfieldii at the Hawaii Island Palm Society auction. 

OMG, a dream ! 

I bought nothing at no meeting or auction in Switzerland where we have snow. :crying:

• Upvote 2

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Stumbled upon my first Raphis this weekend though I don't have clue which one it is. Can someone ID it for me?

IMG_0097.JPG

Edited by topwater
  • Upvote 2

Just got 4 Linospadix monostachya

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

16 hours ago, cm05 said:

A few months ago I germinated a Phoenix dactylifera, the seed came from the first ever date I ate, it was a Medjool, they're surprisingly good. 

Dates are stupid good to eat.  However, most stores in my area only carry pitted dates which are dried out and tough, nowhere near as good as the ones with pits. 

Zifool    13

• upload_36o2hhrhdqph5o914oq75e2um5180110.
  • FORUM MEMBER
  • 42 posts

No new palm, just sow 40 livistona victoriae :greenthumb:

Livistona victoriae, always wanted that nice glaucous palm!

• Upvote 2

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Here's my latest acquisition, a small 2 strap-leaf seeding of SABINARIA MAGNIFICA.  Can't wait till it gets one of those huge solid leafs split down the middle.  After I saw a pic of this palm in habitat, I had to get one!

Sabinaria magnifica, 2-3-17.JPG

• Upvote 10

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Pretty much every plant I have is fairly new. I only moved in less than a year ago. Still the newest palm trees I have were planted at the start of this January. I was at Lowes looking through the gardening section when I noticed they had their indoor palms all marked way down. Their majesty palms were listed at $15 and their Adonidia's were listed at $10. They were a decent size so I assume they were either trying to get rid of them or they had them mislabeled. Either way I purchased 7 palm trees I didn't intend to that day. My car looked like a jungle on the way back:D

The two Ravenea rivularis are in the backyard. One is next to a Queen palm (about 6 1/2 feet apart). The other is all on its own along the south fence line. 

58a30030c0343_DSC09117(2).thumb.JPG.5099

58a30048ca99d_DSC09118(2).thumb.JPG.2910

Edited by ThePalmNovice
  • Upvote 4

The Adonidia's I packed in tight along the border of my neighbors property line to serve as a hedge. I may have to move them around if they get too big, and they probably won't survive many winters that get bellow freezing. For the price and clean healthy look though I couldn't pass these up. If they live for over a year or two their worth it.

58a30071f385f_DSC09128(2).thumb.JPG.b4ce

58a3009005957_DSC09125(2).thumb.JPG.d293

• Upvote 5

20 hours ago, doranakandawatta said:

OMG, a dream ! 

I bought nothing at no meeting or auction in Switzerland where we have snow. :crying:

Yes, the Adonidia dransfieldii is recently described, and quite a nice looking palm:  PALMS Article Describing Adonidia dransfieldii 

I admit I was keen to pick up a palm named after Dr. John Dransfield.  It is very tiny, very rare, and Jeff Marcus warned me to guard it carefully, as there are "no do-overs" to replace it if lost. :o:huh:

Sorry about the snow -- the things we do for employment and remuneration... but it supports our palm habits! B)

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I just added this Highwaymen painting to my collection

IMG_3926.thumb.JPG.752e1baaa8eb7629705f4

• Upvote 5

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

22 hours ago, topwater said:

Stumbled upon my first Raphis this weekend though I don't have clue which one it is. Can someone ID it for me?

IMG_0097.JPG

Looks more like R. Excelsa to me, however I am not expert on this genus.  That is just what it looks like to me.  Pal Mier probably can ID it better tho. 

• Upvote 1

Here are my newest. 

1. Rhapidophyllum Hystrix 

2. Rhapis Excelsa 

3. Rhapis (Excelsa?) Jury is still out on exactly what it is. It does not look much like Excelsa to me.  Maybe cochinchinensis.  Not sure yet. 

R.Hystrix2.14.17.jpg

R.Excelsa2.14.17.jpg

RahpisUnknown2.14.17.jpg

• Upvote 2

My newest palm aquisition just went in the ground today, a Rhapidophyllum hystrix.

Intracoastal Waterway Canal, Elevation: 6ft. Indian Rocks Beach, FL

9 hours ago, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

Looks more like R. Excelsa to me, however I am not expert on this genus.  That is just what it looks like to me.  Pal Mier probably can ID it better tho. 

Thanks, I can't tell them apart.  I've never seen any Raphis for sale in my area and this one looked sweet, plus it's big.  Also, it's always nice to add palms that are bulletproof in my grow zone :)

Sitting in the greenhouse, ready to go, I have Sabal brazoria, Sabal minor, Sabal louisiana, and just today I ordered a 7 gallon Sabal birmingham. Can't wait to get them in the ground! I have a tray full of Sabal minor seedlings I germinated from seed I collected near Idabel, Oklahoma, growing slow as expected...lol 

• Upvote 2

El_Dorado.gif

Having only recently gotten into palms, my collection is quite modest, and all of my palms are new. My favorites are my Chambeyornia hookeri, Dypsis decipiens, Dypsis lutescens, and Cyphophoenix elegans.

chambeyronia_hookeri.thumb.png.1536201c0

dypsis_decipiens.thumb.png.e58b7586cc8c3

• Upvote 3

sbpalms_banner1.png.6b44bf3d0d7c501ebff4

• 3 weeks later...

Just potted up five B.Fenestralis and five B. Alfredii seedlings. The Fenestralis just finished germinating. The Alfredii are a tad bit older. But not by much.

Temp: 77F

RH: 65%

20170304_palm.jpg

• Upvote 4

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

My newest palms are Dypsis pembana, Beccariophoenix madagascariensis, Dypsis baronii and Rhopalostylis baueri 

On 14/02/2017, 17:28:58, Al in Kona said:

Here's my latest acquisition, a small 2 strap-leaf seeding of SABINARIA MAGNIFICA.  Can't wait till it gets one of those huge solid leafs split down the middle.  After I saw a pic of this palm in habitat, I had to get one!

Sabinaria magnifica, 2-3-17.JPG

Who said money doesn't grow on tree's! 

That's a small fortune, right there... :drool:

Well not really palms, but palms to be..... Bunch of dypsis lastelliana, pinanga caesia, chamaedora arenbergiana, pseudophoenix sargentii, coccothrinax argentata, Licuala peltata var, sumawongii :crying:

IMG20170227102754.jpg

Edited by palmad Merc
Spell check
  • Upvote 10

Just to prove what a hopeless addict I’ve become, I’ve gotten 4 more palm trees since my last post. Two of them are Chinese Fan Palms to balance out the Majesties, the other two are a Spindle and Triangle palm. All of them seemed to be severely pot bound, so I hope they grow fast in ground. 

Livistona chinensis

58bcd7f40de61_DSC09139(2).thumb.JPG.0198

Hyophorbe verschaffeltii

DSC09145.thumb.JPG.c54c33fd76d4c1df45e06

Dypsis decaryi

TriPalm.thumb.JPG.9131e9846dee693138f73d
All of these were under $18 and came from that same Lowes I got the previous Adonidia's from. Seriously I don’t know where these trees keep coming from. I counted 15 different species as of the last visit. That store has a bigger palm collection than most of the nurseries around here.  

Edited by ThePalmNovice
  • Upvote 2

You're so lucky, honest to God, my Lowes has a few queens, and a jillion roebeleniis.  And yes, they always have a few bottle palms, which are are slightly more likely to survive a winter here than a C. renda.  

• Upvote 2

120qump.jpg

• Upvote 5

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Here is my new Beccariophoenix Fenestralis in ground.

20170313_1.jpg

• Upvote 4