IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Spear Leaf Problems

nitsua0895

There seems to be some type of disease or fungus that's infecting several of my palms. First I noticed symptoms on my Mule palm, then one of the emerging fronds on my Chamaedorea Cataractarum collapsed, and now one of my young potted Trachycarpus Fortunei palms is basically dead because of this problem. 

The spear leaf turns white and starts to feel crusty. And in the case of the T. Fortunei, it has almost been eaten all the way through and I can nearly pull the spear out. What could this possibly be? 

IMG_2886.JPG

IMG_2887.JPG

Looks like it is pushing up

the damaged area on the emerging spear...

did it go through some cold or an extremely dry

period lately or stop growing for a while?

• Upvote 1

We had a low of 20F for a couple of nights in early January but it was inside my heated greenhouse that covers my Phoenix Roebelinii(which is entirely undamaged) so I guess it can't be cold damage.

But we've had around a foot of rain the past month so maybe the soil got way too soggy?

I was reading an article about how bacteria will take advantage of a cold damaged palm so I poured a mixture of water and hydrogen peroxide into the crown. It fizzed up like crazy so I'm going to keep doing that and hopefully it'll recover.

I don't think you need too...it looks like it

is pushing up dry from your picture and

that is just fine...Trachys that size are very

much in play when it comes to cold hardiness/damage....

(as the man above I think mentioned) it is amazing

how much the cold tolerance increases with some trunk size...

the thinner spears are quite susceptible because there is not

a lot of tissue from each side where they touch the "socket" where

the spears originate from.:badday::huh:

• Upvote 1