IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Tri-Bears: let's see 'em...

Palmə häl′ik

I couldn't help but notice how my tri-bear hybrid palm is taking off...  I'm actually going to be having my oak tree trimmed to allow more growth for it and others bustin' through the oak canopy...   

Mines got around ten rings of trunk, and has a canopy 25'+ tall.  It was planted 5-6 years ago from a 7gal container:   

Feel free to post pics of yours, Id love to see em.....

IMG_20170212_080305.jpg

• Upvote 17

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

It seems I'll never be able to get a  tri-bear hybrid palm. 
Is this available only in USA?
Does Floribunda palms grow these hybrids?

Thanks

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

2 hours ago, doranakandawatta said:

It seems I'll never be able to get a  tri-bear hybrid palm. 
Is this available only in USA?
Does Floribunda palms grow these hybrids?

Thanks

nope,

maybe someone in Fl. will ship you some seed one day?

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

BS man for scale. It has grown a bunch since this picture last year

IMG_5468.JPG.762b95d6c43f23b14e381d94296IMG_5469.JPG.00ec7c67ee06c2a96e3a62d0237

• Upvote 12

Sunset zone 24

1 hour ago, Josh-O said:

BS man for scale. It has grown a bunch since this picture last year

IMG_5468.JPG.762b95d6c43f23b14e381d94296IMG_5469.JPG.00ec7c67ee06c2a96e3a62d0237

It's a beautiful monster ...
Sorry, the palm, not BS Man, :blush:

• Upvote 5

Philippe

I'd sure like to get one of these, but they're really hard to find. :(

On another note, great job Ray! It is impressive what you're doing over there in Brandon. 

• Upvote 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

21 minutes ago, doranakandawatta said:

It's a beautiful monster ...
Sorry, the palm, not BS Man, :blush:

I've been called worse! hahah..

Here's my baby this morning.. :D 

20170212_091241.thumb.jpg.cb28576724a7fb

• Upvote 10

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

4 minutes ago, BS Man about Palms said:

I must apologize .... :)
But your baby is fat ... how old is that beauty (since you planted it) ?

• Upvote 1

Philippe

Time is getting away from me now but I think it has been in the ground about 5-6 years.? It was a decent sized 15 gal when planted. They are really very fast palms!

• Upvote 2

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Bill,

Would I be correct in assuming that these are sterile? Looks like yours was flowering, no?

• Upvote 1

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Are these available anywhere in Australia? Been looking for one for a while now.

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

24 minutes ago, tim_brissy_13 said:

Are these available anywhere in Australia? Been looking for one for a while now.

How do u think they would go down here tim??

Pant pant 

licky

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

6 hours ago, tim_brissy_13 said:

You can get them in Oz but not very often and they always seem to be very small when they are for sale I hit up PFB a while back by E-mail asking if they had any but got no reply. (so assume that was a no)

I had one in my parents garden on the Sunny coast, but they have since sold the house :(, it was were very easy to grow and seemed to grow faster than both parents, I also saw some in gardens in SE QLD at a similar size to the ones in pics above and that was over ten years ago so they must be huge now (but i think they tend to look best when smaller anyway)

Like i said in another thread not long ago, id love to try one down here to see how they go, they are the kind of palm that look good even when young so even if grown in a pot until they were a good size before planting out they would be worth growing.

10 hours ago, coops 3214 said:

How do u think they would go down here tim??

You never know until you try, but I'd be confident they'd do well. D decaryi are popping up all over the place now and from all reports the hybrid is faster growing which can be important for marginals here. 

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

4 hours ago, tim_brissy_13 said:

You never know until you try, but I'd be confident they'd do well. D decaryi are popping up all over the place now and from all reports the hybrid is faster growing which can be important for marginals here. 

I'm a couple years in to one here in Norcal, not a hint of resentment at our dry heat, or cool damp...taken over 100 F for days on end, and down to 30 degrees F no issue.  Not much canopy, either.  So certainly worth a go down there, I'd say.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

On 2/12/2017, 3:28:01, quaman58 said:

Bill,

Would I be correct in assuming that these are sterile? Looks like yours was flowering, no?

Not flowered yet on mine, I have heard they are sterile, yes. If I had the property, I would plant decayi and leptos near each other and wait for hybrids.. :D

• Upvote 2

On 2/12/2017, 10:32:52, BS Man about Palms said:

nice!!!

Sunset zone 24

Coochie coochie coo . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

This is the spread on mine...   Eeeeeelongated fronds dot com

IMG_20170214_173730.jpg

• Upvote 2

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

more gardens need to have this palm in the ground

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

Bill, you have seen the one I acquired as a seedling labeled as a Tri-Bear.  As it gets larger, I'm inclined to think it really is resembling the leptocheilos so much that it may not be a hybrid.  Here is a shot from a couple of weeks ago... thoughts?20170204-104A5175-3.thumb.jpg.1eb7cddd9b

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

2 minutes ago, Tracy said:

Bill, you have seen the one I acquired as a seedling labeled as a Tri-Bear.  As it gets larger, I'm inclined to think it really is resembling the leptocheilos so much that it may not be a hybrid.  Here is a shot from a couple of weeks ago... thoughts?20170204-104A5175-3.thumb.jpg.1eb7cddd9b

if the crown is not triangular at this stage it is a pure Lepto :(

also the leaves open up with a reddish bronze color at this juvenile size

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

10 hours ago, Josh-O said:

if the crown is not triangular at this stage it is a pure Lepto :(

also the leaves open up with a reddish bronze color at this juvenile size

2nd part isn't true across the board...inconsistent, depending on plants.  First one much better indicator. 

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

11 hours ago, Tracy said:

Bill, you have seen the one I acquired as a seedling labeled as a Tri-Bear.  As it gets larger, I'm inclined to think it really is resembling the leptocheilos so much that it may not be a hybrid.  Here is a shot from a couple of weeks ago... thoughts?

Yeah, as Josh said, the triangular leaf bases are the dead giveaway. When I picked up the "natural crosses" from FL., I could just walk down the row of teddies and easily pick out the hybrids.. The keels should have a definite "point" by now. Also, your leaves look kinda flat.?, they should have a bit of a "V" :( 

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, Josh-O said:

it is a pure Lepto :(

1 hour ago, BS Man about Palms said:

The keels should have a definite "point" by now. Also, your leaves look kinda flat.?, they should have a bit of a "V" :( 

Seeing no point, flat leaves, and an absence of a distinction in the crown of the one I posted, and my known pure D lepto.... I'll go with the excerpt from Josh's input... it is pure Lepto.  And the sad face wins out!  Well at least I didn't buy a Syagrus romanzoffiana seedling mislabled as a tri-bear.  It was literally a one leaf seedling in a band when I got it, so I don't feel to bad about my misjudgement.  Thanks for bursting my bubble before it got too big and actually hurt.  :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

18 hours ago, Josh-O said:

more gardens need to have this palm in the ground

Josh, how freeze/frost/cool tolerant would you guess these are? 

1 hour ago, Jdiaz31089 said:

I'm probably a better person to ask since Josh lives in the tropics. :D

Definitely worth a go in Fresno, since I have one doing well here.

• Upvote 2

Ben Rogers

14 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

I'm probably a better person to ask since Josh lives in the tropics. :D

Definitely worth a go in Fresno, since I have one doing well here.

LOL true. Whereabout can I get my hands on one though? That's the question!

23 minutes ago, Jdiaz31089 said:

LOL true. Whereabout can I get my hands on one though? That's the question!

I got mine from Seabreeze Nurseries a few years back.  Not sure if they are still shipping out here.  Maybe Josh can help you there. :D

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

8 hours ago, Jdiaz31089 said:

sine it has that decaryi vigor in it, it sure can take cold waaaaayyyy better then just pure lepto. but then again I'm in the tropics

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

15 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

2nd part isn't true across the board...inconsistent, depending on plants.  First one much better indicator. 

out of the 30 or so I had  I have 10 big 5 gals left and all have opened up red leaves and are still opening up with red leaves. They will eventually grow out of this trait unfortunately

Sunset zone 24

9 hours ago, Josh-O said:

out of the 30 or so I had  I have 10 big 5 gals left and all have opened up red leaves and are still opening up with red leaves. They will eventually grow out of this trait unfortunately

Mine never has from seedling size - it's definitely a Tri-Bear, but just throws lighter green spears/new fronds. 

Ben Rogers

On 2/15/2017, 8:36:00, Josh-O said:

I'm about to plant two more

I'm with you Josh.  I've got another planned to go in my garden this spring.  Pulling out a palm to make room for it.