IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Any ideas as to what's wrong with my sago?

trachydude

I know it's not technically a palm, so I hope this is in the right place. 

My sagos in pots have been over wintered in my garage. They've been fine up until a couple weeks ago. The larger one started fading in color and now the fronds are slowly dying. The smaller one seems to have come through unphased. They've been back outside since the weather has been in the 70s-80s. I've attached pics of both for reference. Any help appreciated!

20170211_163449-747x1328.jpg

20170211_163455-1195x2124.jpg

That's what I figured. This particular sago is very "temperamental"...lol. The first year I had it, it sulked all summer long. Finally got a decent crown of fronds on it, and now it appears I will lose the majority of them. 

We had meally bug on the roots do that to one of ours, it would have died if we had not given it a major cleanup. Also manganese deficiency can look something like that I think. 

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

Even with zero water it is highly unlikely to get dry enough in the winter to hurt the foliage.  I cant tell how big the caudex is but anything larger than a softball could be bare rooted and thrown on your garage floor for a few months in the winter and the foliage still look good as long as it didnt get too cold. 

• Upvote 2

The caudex is about the size of a football. They got watered about once every couple weeks...when the top layer of soil was dry. 

The bigger one has always been a little more temperamental than the other one. It was weird though. It was totally fine December through January...just started fading in color and eventually going yellow a couple weeks ago.