IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The 19th Annual Spring Searle Brothers Plant Extravaganza! -●●●- March 3rd, 4th, 5th – 10th, 11th, 12th 2017 -●●- S. Florida

Palmarum

Searle Brothers Nursery, Inc. &

The Rainforest Collection ®

presents...

The 19th Annual Spring

Plant Extravaganza!

March 3rd 4th 5th – 10th 11th 12th

The Searle Brothers Plant Extravaganzas have become exciting plant sales and a great way for IPS Members, Palmtalk Forum Members and fellow tropical palm & plant enthusiasts to come together and meet in the South Florida area. The events have always been a great way to spend a weekend in the company of those who share your passion for gardening and collecting tropical ornamental plants. To describe the events as just mere plant sales would be an understatement; as they have become much more in the form of social events for our friends and family. Forum members, friends and fellow plant collectors have all come from far and wide to attend and we are continuously surprised in the distances they will cover to share in the event. In regards to the following details, I have tried to include as much information about the upcoming Spring 'Ganza as I could. If you see something that you know should be included and it is missing, please post the idea(s) here or contact me, Jeff Searle or the nursery with the methods listed below and let us know...

South Florida Location:
Searle Brothers Nursery, Inc.
6640 SW 172nd Avenue
Southwest Ranches, Florida 33331
Western Broward County
*see Map below...

Spring 2017 Schedule:
Friday, March 3rd - 8:00AM - 5:00PM
Saturday, March 4th - 8:00AM - 5:00PM 
Sunday, March 5th - 9:00AM - 4:00PM

also the following weekend...
Friday, March 10th - 8:00AM - 5:00PM
Saturday, March 11th - 8:00AM - 5:00PM
Sunday, March 12th- 9:00AM - 4:00PM

Barbecue Lunch:
Our Famous Weekend Free BBQ Lunch
First Weekend: (Saturday 11:00AM - 2:00PM) & (Sunday, 11:00AM - 2:00PM) (or until supplies last)

DSC_0384.thumb.JPG.40cdd1f7325c3159b5002DSC_0373.thumb.JPG.330b81fceb233acd623a4

Contact List:
Nursery Office #: (954) 434-7681
Nursery Fax #: (954) 680-2750
Nursery Website: http://www.rainforestcollection.com/

Jeff Searle: phone #: (954) 658-4317 Email: palms@rainforestcollection.com
Private Message - Jeff Searle: Jeff Searle PM
Ryan (Palmarum) Email: palmthetree@yahoo.com or PM me a message through the Forum

Directions:
The map below is a general street map of western Broward County, Florida showing the location of the nursery (Palm tree symbol). Using Sheridan Street would be the best option to get to the nursery if you are heading west through the area. If you are taking the Florida Turnpike, use the Griffin Road exit from the north, or the Pines Blvd. exit from the south. If you need any additional directions, please contact the nursery, Jeff or I (Ryan). When you get close to the nursery, look for large power lines as they run east and west above the nursery. Parking is along the shoulder of 172nd Avenue in front of, and down the street from, the nursery entrance. If you intend to arrive early before sunrise (and many usually do) be wary of hard-to-see speed bumps along 172nd Avenue and there is a possibility of a speed trap as well. The has been considerable construction along I-75 so the exit near Sheridan Street has been changed slightly.

scan0004.jpg.8406ab43219f718d68e8b73ea44

Plant Availability, Photo Requests:
For plant availability including a copy of the ever-growing list of palms, cycads and other information regarding which plants and species will be for sale, please contact the nursery, Jeff Searle or I (Ryan). The plant selection process has already begun and will continue right up to the last day before the first morning of the Extravaganza, (sometimes even on the mornings of the event if the need applies.) The sale lists for palms, cycads and crotons will be made available as soon as they are completed. Special selections might be pulled for sale as requests, but only if the plants are available. There will be certain species, varieties and cultivars that will only be available in limited quantities. These rarer plants will likely sell out quickly in the morning hours, so be sure to arrange your wish list accordingly. Plant groups may have been moved around the sales area, relocated, or added in with others. In order to speed your way to your favorite plants please ask a nearby volunteer as to their location.

Like with previous events, I will be able to provide preview photos of the actual plants for sale. They will be posted in this topic for those who are interested. Send me a message or an email with the names of the plants you would like to see. Sale booklets or sale lists will be made available at the Extravaganza. They will include the list of palms, cycads and crotons for sale. Brochure holders along the main shade house sidewalk will have the booklets/sale lists on display. As soon as I have a basic draft list of species and varieties for sale, I will be able to email or PM it to anyone who would want a copy. Each plant will be priced with either a lavender tag or will have the price written on the pot.

DSC_0177.thumb.JPG.44eb5d47088d993de579cDSC_0217.thumb.JPG.5d1be72e8aac762775a8a

Featured Plant Groups:
The plant selection at the Extravaganza is constantly growing and changing. The largest and most diverse group is by far the Palms, of which there will be over 300 species available in various different sizes. The selection will include genera from around the world. A large amount of Crotons will also be on display as their demand has increased production to new levels...

Palms:

Aroids: - Bromeliads:

Butterfly Plants: - Cycads: - Crotons:

Cordylines: - Ferns: - Heliconias and Gingers: - Orchids:

Tropical Flowering Trees, Shrubs, & Vines:

Landscape Ornamentals: - Tropical Fruit Trees:

Rare and Hard-to-find Exotics:

and more:
There is always a chance a new & exotic species of tropical plant will make its way into the sales area.

The Sale Flyer:
The nursery will soon mail out sale flyers to everyone on our mailing list. If you are on the mailing list and do not receive one, please let Jeff or myself know. In addition, if you would like to be placed on the mailing list for future Extravaganza flyers, please send a message to Jeff or myself with your address.

Ganza_flyer_S17.thumb.jpg.400e8d62518aad

Plant Carts:
We do provide a limited number of carts for customers to use, but it is recommended that you bring your own plant shopping conveyance. The carts do go quickly in the morning of each day, soon after the gates open and customers make their way to the sales area. During the day when they are returned from the holding area or from the parking lot, they are placed back on the concrete pad or across from the register area.

DSC_0398.thumb.JPG.af56fa18cb32e08e7a71dDSC_0450.thumb.JPG.9be18cc3c79b3392b2b90DSC_0415.thumb.JPG.266a7926417107aa4bb18

Accommodations:
A comfortable Hampton Inn is located within a short driving distance of the nursery. It has been used by our customers, volunteers and family members in the past who travel a long way to reach the 'Ganza and who require a comfortable place to stay. The Hampton Inn Pembroke Pines/Ft. Lauderdale West is located at the intersection of I-75 and Sheridan Street. (see map above...) If you like to inquire about the hotel, follow the link below:

Hampton Inn Pembroke Pines - Fort Lauderdale West
Link: http://www.hamptoninnpembrokepines.com/

Previous Extravaganza:
Usually at this point I include a link to the topic featuring the previous Extravaganza, but due to the craziness caused by Hurricane Matthew I wasn't able to take many photos nor did I have the time afterwards to post what I did capture.

Information and Invitation:
If you need any more details regarding plants, directions, or anything that I have not included above, feel free to contact the nursery, Jeff Searle or myself by the methods mentioned above. Feel free to post any messages, questions, etc. in this topic. Jeff Searle, I and all the family members and volunteers look forward to meeting everyone including new and familiar Palmtalk Forum members and IPS members at the upcoming Extravaganza. Be sure to find one of us and introduce yourself. You will be sure to find other Forum members at the event as well, possibly walking right past you down an aisle or grabbing for the same plant. The entire Searle family and the masses of volunteers will be waiting to help you find that perfect plant.

We hope to see you there!

Ryan

╠══════════════════════════════════

South Florida

• 2 weeks later...

I finished pulling all the palms today, although I'm sure between now and next Friday I will find a few others. I have what I think will be an exciting collection of palms in various sizes. Ryan will get the list up very shortly. Thank you,

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I hope Pops has enough energy to put in an appearance.... and I wish I was there to see him and everyone too! Have a great time!!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

A few early photos of the shadehouse during setup... There are more palms and other plants scheduled to be pulled, mostly over the next week leading up to the sale.

- Entering the main shadehouse...

DSC_0535.thumb.JPG.f3a9c9bbbe11f2f28a8c4

- Further into the shadehouse... Palms and other plants begin to fill the sidewalk.

DSC_0536.thumb.JPG.a8674a7a8ef5e2dc25f2f

- Approaching the midpoint along the west sidewalk, going west to east. Some of the palms will still be moved around, placed in groups with other sizes, etc.

DSC_0537.thumb.JPG.5f818ba3e4d4443797b0b

Ryan

• Upvote 2

South Florida

- The shadehouse intersection, always a major hub of activity during the sale. It is the main gathering point for volunteers and collectors, either hanging out in the tent on the left or looking at the rarest of the rare often featured in this section.

DSC_0538.thumb.JPG.6e3661fd2a25b92fff62d

- The tables are set up, covered with the gallons and the other, smaller-sized palms.

DSC_0539.thumb.JPG.151b495d708250a64cb7a

DSC_0540.thumb.JPG.0451c2d2bb0e5aa18bd22

- One more shot, standing in the intersection and looking west.

DSC_0541.thumb.JPG.01420e2ea4f43618068cb

Ryan

• Upvote 3

South Florida

20 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

I hope Pops has enough energy to put in an appearance.... and I wish I was there to see him and everyone too! Have a great time!!

Bill, your a great friend! Thanks for the very nice comments. Dad should make an appearance, but he is getting pretty frail.

• Upvote 1

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I have the first draft of the Palm & Cycad list available for viewing over at Palmpedia/Tropiscape:

http://www.palmpedia.net/forum/threads/the-19th-annual-spring-searle-plant-ganza-●●●-march-3rd-4th-5th-10th-11th-12th-2017-●●.5838/#post-59991

The link above will take you directly to the list starting on post #5. The list is changing continuously leading up to the first day of the sale. I will try and keep the posted version up to date as more species or sizes are added. Post any questions you may have.

I will post the Croton cultivar list as soon as I have it ready.

Ryan

South Florida

The first draft of the Croton list is up, over at Palmpedia/Tropicscape...

Follow the link to the post beginning with the Croton List:

http://www.palmpedia.net/forum/threads/the-19th-annual-spring-searle-plant-ganza-●●●-march-3rd-4th-5th-10th-11th-12th-2017-●●.5838/#post-59998

Ryan

South Florida

On February 25, 2017 at 9:17:38 PM, Palmarum said:

I have the first draft of the Palm & Cycad list available for viewing over at Palmpedia/Tropiscape:

http://www.palmpedia.net/forum/threads/the-19th-annual-spring-searle-plant-ganza-●●●-march-3rd-4th-5th-10th-11th-12th-2017-●●.5838/#post-59991

The link above will take you directly to the list starting on post #5. The list is changing continuously leading up to the first day of the sale. I will try and keep the posted version up to date as more species or sizes are added. Post any questions you may have.

I will post the Croton cultivar list as soon as I have it ready.

Ryan

I just saw the incredible list of palms available. I almost fainted,sweaty palms etc. It must be just wonderful to go to such a sale.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

I have a few additions and changes to the Palm & Cycad list. I have posted them over at Palmpedia/Tropiscape in the 'Ganza topic:

http://www.palmpedia.net/forum/threads/the-19th-annual-spring-searle-plant-ganza-●●●-march-3rd-4th-5th-10th-11th-12th-2017-●●.5838/#post-60003

Ryan

South Florida

I was planning to come, sidelined by a bad cold.  

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

First weekend down, and what a weekend. The sales area has been depleted but there are still a lot of plants and species remaining. If you have an inquiry as to which ones are still available, send me a message or post it here. What plants can be restocked are being done so now. The weather should be just as fine for the second weekend, just with less wind I hope.

Ryan

South Florida

To start the sale off, I had one each of B. clara and B. decumbens. Not sure without looking if their still there or not. Ryan or myself will check and get back to you.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I made a run to the nursery today to see what was restocked and what needed a photo or two...

I had a list of photo requests with me and I got to most of them; requests of a species or group that had sold out I skipped. The sales area has been refreshed during the four days between weekends. The landscape plants were restocked where possible, the Bromeliads were in desperate need of being restocked as they were hit hard last weekend, A few more Palms and other plants in the shadehouse were restocked, but with limited quantities but maybe one or two new species. The other groups were thinned out and some remain as is. The tropical flowering trees and other exotics were reduced, but many have at least one or two plants left in the group. The Fruit Trees were annihilated to say the least, but there are still a few individuals remaining.

The photo requests...

I responded individually to those with a specific request that was sold out, the rest I have photos thereof.

- Red Sealing Wax Palm, Cyrtostachys renda, - 25 gal. $2,700.00, 10 gal. $500.00, 7 gal. $200.00 - The three gallons are all gone. We pulled them a few different times during the first weekend, but they all sold as fast as we could get them to the spot.

DSC_0882.thumb.JPG.3a4517b2adf19e1f1a1b1DSC_0883.thumb.JPG.04106653250fa43f9adf8DSC_0885.thumb.JPG.30c0166c2db6b5ca8cb1bDSC_0884.thumb.JPG.141869f4bbd445d8cfc99

Ryan

South Florida

- Brahea armata (which had B. clara lumped within) - 7 gal. $275.00 - Old plant... I was going to take more photos, but as I was taking this one, the sprinklers turned on and the closest one shot me right in the back.

DSC_0887.thumb.JPG.f024f7bf923ba84b81b3c

- Brahea decumbens - 7 gal. $350.00 - Another old plant... I took this shot on the run.

DSC_0888.thumb.JPG.70096f5cd7cf901853677

- Dypsis tokoravina - 15 gal. (a) $450.00 ...

DSC_0902.thumb.JPG.d5bf17da3728292503229DSC_0903.thumb.JPG.280c4efb1a32a41263999DSC_0905.thumb.JPG.726b71f31a553f113fa0d

... The smaller 15 gal. (b) $350.00

DSC_0904.thumb.JPG.c891a99f68e460f4ebf66

- Dypsis basilonga - 3 gal. $50.00

DSC_0906.thumb.JPG.7dafd05dbabec50064fcfDSC_0907.thumb.JPG.41e74906e47e5624dd615DSC_0908.thumb.JPG.b6609e6cd8e1008455132

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

- Pelagodoxa henryana - 7 gal. $850.00 - We only had one out at a time, but this is the third one pulled. In case you were wondering, I turned the signs around to reduce their sun exposure between weekends.

DSC_0909.thumb.JPG.2db51bf97954b075e89d4DSC_0910.thumb.JPG.b8bc77d5a56154e72fd2d

- Mauritia flexuosa - 7 gal. $200.00 - Three left. A visit to the giant one in the ground behind the BBQ area sells these every time.

DSC_0911.thumb.JPG.cce3066c7116de15f67bdDSC_0912.thumb.JPG.03973fc61317d9304b1f8DSC_0914.thumb.JPG.0dd76dcc8b6d43f42ebc1

DSC_0913.thumb.JPG.93731e14538a3a59275ac

- Chamaedorea metallica - 1 gal. $15.00 - There are only three left from the block that was here, but more one gallons and maybe some three gallons might be pulled.

DSC_0915.thumb.JPG.a239e95fe53fa988fdbc4DSC_0916.thumb.JPG.bfb8304306177770f50e5

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

- Dypsis sp. - 3 gal. $35.00 - Still a mystery. I have described this palm before to those interested, but we still do not have a proper name for it. I was hoping the larger ones in Jeff's collection would flower and seed so we could try to key it out, but alas nothing yet. One time I called it Dypsis sp. 'red blush, thin stem', as we had another Dypsis sp. in the same size pot and I had to differentiate between them on the list. I have seen this palm before on lists and in collections under different erroneous names, so I think the mystery might remain for a while. For now it is just a "Spah".

It is not a large palm. Probably a very thin, 3/4 to 1.5 inch diameter stem to understory height, with entire, deeply, bifid leaves on rather long petioles for the length of the leaf. The old leaf sheaths give way to a rather cool-looking red-magenta blush. The blush slowly fades over time. The palm itself has been easy to grow and I would say moderate to fast growing. If I can't get the name on it, I will have to make up a temporary one, just so I can make a card for it; with a hypothetical description.

DSC_0917.thumb.JPG.e07f2e0ff925354881d19DSC_0920.thumb.JPG.7c0e0bf46bf9987788e49

DSC_0918.thumb.JPG.b6790116fa7d2c8b07d57

- Hybrid Red Sealing Wax Palm, Cyrtostachys sp. 'Hybrid' - 25 gallon $3,000.00 - The small size...

DSC_0921.thumb.JPG.44bba52bd09a3630231caDSC_0922.thumb.JPG.5fb2c52a5d4bd1dd1b2f8DSC_0924.thumb.JPG.d32f2e2a5d732ea987916DSC_0923.thumb.JPG.21bf11538b841ec8d9c10

DSC_0925.thumb.JPG.d42c94f70ec753032cd5f

Ryan

South Florida

- Dwarf Betel Nut Palm, Areca catechu cv. 'Dwarf' - 10 gal. $750.00 - Quite the conversation piece. It posed for a few photos during the first weekend.

DSC_0926.thumb.JPG.136aec648ba9b9da2e59aDSC_0927.thumb.JPG.3c7fe14fb851129b887ffDSC_0928.thumb.JPG.ea000fb5e6d53c2c4b0ddDSC_0929.thumb.JPG.4a06cc3de742ad2a99a63

- Kentiopsis pyriformis - 10 gal. $300.00, 7 gal. $200.00, 3 gal. $50.00 - Continuously surprised as to how well this species is growing in S. Florida. It may be due for a common name. One of the three gallon plants has an emergent new leaf with some decent color.

DSC_0931.thumb.JPG.a64eceea282f6766de0d0DSC_0933.thumb.JPG.415bdd84e04f4bf43feaeDSC_0932.thumb.JPG.26524b1428c34ca1d28ddDSC_0935.thumb.JPG.ba7de07b60c7d5cec5fa4

DSC_0934.thumb.JPG.e211e1bf55c7300419749DSC_0936.thumb.JPG.4458baa6fc98fec7a0e16

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

I would just like to thank everyone that has stopped by. It's been an awesome two weeks and I still get excited seeing so many customers leaving with a vast selection they came looking for. And many thanks Ryan for all the superior photos that you have shared with our viewers. The passion is still alive!!!

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff,

It was a great sale and it was good seeing a bunch of the old gang there.  I did my best to deplete your stocks but there were only so many shekels in me pocket.

• Upvote 1

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2017‎ ‎11‎:‎50‎:‎42‎, Jerry@TreeZoo said:

Jeff,

It was a great sale and it was good seeing a bunch of the old gang there.  I did my best to deplete your stocks but there were only so many shekels in me pocket.

Thank you Jerry. It turned out to be our best sale since 2010. We were more than happy with the results! And yes, there were lots of great palm collectors that stopped by.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I have started a regular topic describing the Spring Extravaganza as it happened over the fun-filled six day period. It will take a while for me to finish it, but it will be rich with photos.

The 19th Spring 'Ganza - Palms & Tropical Plants Shine in S. Florida

Link: http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/52988-the-19th-spring-ganza-palms-tropical-plants-shine-in-s-florida/

Ryan

South Florida