IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

FEBRUARY WEATHER

gsytch

Looking more like winter, as we know it, may be over. Nothing serious coming our way. The squalls that came off the Gulf last night gave me almost an inch of rain! What a nice surprise. That is more rain than I had in Dec and Jan combined. ;)

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

We hit 85F today.

• Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Nothing below 50 in the forecast... We aren't out of the woods quite yet but things are looking pretty good going forward. :)

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

55 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

We hit 85F today.

Isn't it great:D.. 83 here today in the valley. Possibly 85- 87 tomorrow, then a couple days of cooler weather, ..maybe a shower, t-storm or two over the weekend, before more awesome, "spring" warmth.

After Tuesday, any chances of possible frost/ freezes we might have during the last few weeks of "winter" dwindles quickly.  ..few days in the 35-32f range aside, it's been a fairly mild winter by Phoenix standards. Glad it is on its way out:greenthumb:

Looking more & more like really cold weather is done here and I'm so relieved. A few years ago, though, I had one morning where the low was 37F during the 3rd week of Feb. That was the lowest temp of that winter.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

A pretty easy winter thus far.  34F for the ultimate low for this winter up to this point.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Yes. I believe I have had three nights below 40F, with that one weird cold front in January dropping to 35F after a humid 84F day just 36 hours before. I did see a little damage on the most sensitive of plants. We are but weeks away from March, which is when the warmth begins in earnest. There has been some rainfall, too. I would rate this winter a 9 out of 10 so far!:D

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

My wife and I moved to Highlands County, Florida in 1997. This winter by far has been the warmest winter since then. I feel confident it's one for the record books.

• Upvote 1

Mad about palms

The low this winter came in at 32f which is about 2f colder than last winter, but still a little warmer than average. 

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

Freeze season for me ends today.  My low was 36F and the number of days in the 40's can be counted on 8 fingers.  No freezing temps since January 2010.  I'm sure next winter will surely be different.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

We hit 86 yesterday...........could use a little rain though

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

The latest I ever had a frost was February 16th, so looking at the 10-day forecast I can declare winter is officially over for me. This winter, hands down, has been the warmest winter I've ever experienced in my lifetime.

I just today consulted the Sebring, Florida, FAWN website, and searched their database, then generated a report showing the daily high and low temperatures for the months of December 2016, January 2017, and up to today, February 20, 2017. The statistics generated show just how warm this winter has been (and unfortunately, how dry it's been).

Below are stats for the above months mentioned:

December 2016: 22 days above 80 degrees. 9 days above 85 degrees. 1 day above 90 degrees. Monthly low of 43.25 degrees.

January 2017: 16 days  above 80 degrees. 2 days above 85 degrees. 26 days above 70 degrees. Monthly low of 39.39 degrees.

February 2017: 17 days above 80 degrees. 3 days above 85 degrees. 20 days above 70 degrees. Monthly low of 45.07 degrees.

So far today's high at Sebring FAWN is 85.59.

Below is a link to the Sebring FAWN website if anyone want to run a report to check my figures.

https://fawn.ifas.ufl.edu/

But, notwithstanding my 10b winter I'm having, my Cocos nucifera still went into potassium decline on all fronds below the 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock positions, even though I was lightly giving it extra 8-2-12 palm special about every two weeks over the winter. Still, it fared much better than winters when I get frost. I look forward to another good coconut harvest this year like I had last year.

Edit: I forgot to mention that all temperature readings were taken at the 2 meter level on the 10 meter weather tower. FAWN takes temperature readings at 60 cms, 2 meters, and 10 meters. Readings taken at 60 cms were even higher (daytime temperatures) and lower (nighttime temperatures). That's because it's warmer closer to the ground during the day and colder at night.

Mad about palms

The same here in West Pasco along the Gulf except the past few weeks has had a definate seabreeze effect, keeping us a little lower during the afternoons. We have not hit 80F due to the seabreeze in a few weeks, but we have not gone below 45F either. Based on the explosion of plant growth, spring has sprung, and they are predicting RAIN Wendesday! Hallejulah. It rained twice in the past 10 days but neither was heavy - perhaps 1/4" each time. Overall, just a nice Florida winter. :P

Got the rain, got the 80+ degree days, now just need the longer sunlight hours to keep rolling in and the coconut will be putting out new fronds. :)

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

February was the warmest ever on record here for the Washington DC metropolitan area as well.  Many days over 70.  Most of those mid to upper 70's   A few reached 80.   Not a whole lot in the way of below freezing as well save for some nighttime lows.   Very little snow.   This has been one of the most "snow free" winters in a long time here as well.     Quite the opposite of the last 3 winters.   Mr groundhog was also very wrong.  Spring came a month early.  Presently Daffodils, Forsythia, pears, deciduous Magnolias, and even Cherry trees are either currently blooming over the last week   or are beginning to open blossoms.   The peak of the Cherry Blossoms this year is now likely to be 3/12-3/19 or so.  One of the  earliest on record.   We have had high pollen counts for most of the month.  Those usually do not start here until March.  Oddly enough the crocus did not bloom much early. Mostly right on schedule so its odd seeing them out along with daffodils.    Great winter if you live here and love and long for a warmer climate for the most part.  Terrible if you love snow.  Over all a zone 7b to 8a winter here.  

My lowest temp was 40.5F on Jan. 8. I may have had a 41.2F I didn't report and a few in the mid- to high-40s. An 11a winter I reckon. By now (3/2) highs are mid- to high-80s and no rain. Not ready to bake so soon.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

On 2/20/2017, 4:09:04, Walt said:

The latest I ever had a frost was February 16th, so looking at the 10-day forecast I can declare winter is officially over for me. This winter, hands down, has been the warmest winter I've ever experienced in my lifetime.

I just today consulted the Sebring, Florida, FAWN website, and searched their database, then generated a report showing the daily high and low temperatures for the months of December 2016, January 2017, and up to today, February 20, 2017. The statistics generated show just how warm this winter has been (and unfortunately, how dry it's been).

Below are stats for the above months mentioned:

December 2016: 22 days above 80 degrees. 9 days above 85 degrees. 1 day above 90 degrees. Monthly low of 43.25 degrees.

January 2017: 16 days  above 80 degrees. 2 days above 85 degrees. 26 days above 70 degrees. Monthly low of 39.39 degrees.

February 2017: 17 days above 80 degrees. 3 days above 85 degrees. 20 days above 70 degrees. Monthly low of 45.07 degrees.

So far today's high at Sebring FAWN is 85.59.

Below is a link to the Sebring FAWN website if anyone want to run a report to check my figures.

https://fawn.ifas.ufl.edu/

But, notwithstanding my 10b winter I'm having, my Cocos nucifera still went into potassium decline on all fronds below the 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock positions, even though I was lightly giving it extra 8-2-12 palm special about every two weeks over the winter. Still, it fared much better than winters when I get frost. I look forward to another good coconut harvest this year like I had last year.

Edit: I forgot to mention that all temperature readings were taken at the 2 meter level on the 10 meter weather tower. FAWN takes temperature readings at 60 cms, 2 meters, and 10 meters. Readings taken at 60 cms were even higher (daytime temperatures) and lower (nighttime temperatures). That's because it's warmer closer to the ground during the day and colder at night.

To complete the above February stats, the Sebring FAWN site recorded 22 days above 80 degrees, with five of those days above 85 degrees. The other six days had highs from the mid 70s to high 70s.  The lowest temperature for February was 45.07 degrees on the 1st. 

Yesterday's high (March 1st) was 87.71 degrees. Today's (March 2nd) was 89.49 degrees (basically the average high for the month of July).

This winter almost has to be the hottest of all-times since records have been kept.

Mad about palms

Report on npr was 2017 was the warmest February in Texas history.  The average temperature for the entire state was over 8F higher than the historical average.