IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

How To Remove Water From Crown of Triangle Palm Where Spear Pulled?

Mr. Coconut Palm

Hi Everyone,

I need some advice on how to remove the water sitting in the middle of the crown where the spear leaf of my 6ft. tall triangle palm pulled out yesterday.  It was freeze injured, but the spear looked decent a couple of weeks ago, with a lot of green on it, except at the tip, but it collapsed the other day, so I tried to cut it off at the base yesterday, but it just pulled right out.  I had a little bit of hydrogen peroxide left, so I poured it in there, and this morning I looked in there, and there seems to be some water just sitting in there.  I have read before, that after freeze injury, it is a good idea to remove the water from the crown so the bud doesn't rot, but how do you do this without injuring he bud and the palm?  What should I do after that?

Thanks,

John

You can trick someone and tell them to use a straw "to suck out the wonderful nectar. The greatest nectar, believe me, it's true."

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, Cocoa Beach Jason said:

You can trick someone and tell them to use a straw "to suck out the wonderful nectar. The greatest nectar, believe me, it's true."

Haha!

PalmTreeDude

You can cut down until you expose the area in question, this will keep it dry and prevent further buildup. I seems like an extreme measure but it's how I saved a needle palm once, I had it outside and it got way colder than I had anticipated, it had multiple heads and all of them spear pulled, I poured hydrogen peroxide into all the crowns, no results, no results, no results. I was afraid I would lose it. Finally in desperation I cut off all the fronds (still green) and continued cutting down to the growing point, it looked terrible but it produced immediate results, new growth was evident the very next day, it has since fully recovered and to look at it now you would never know. 

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

Thanks, Ammon.  I appreciate it.  I think that is what I am going to have to do.

John

I'm with you John, I thought D. decaryi was good to the upper twenties, bummer that it burned that bad at 27f.  I have a tiny D.  baronii seedling that came out fine. I posted this before but I don't know if you saw it, here's a pic of my D. lutescens after a low of 28f. 

IMG_0090.JPG

Edited by topwater

8 hours ago, Cocoa Beach Jason said:

if it was rum I would be there lickety split .lol

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

5 minutes ago, topwater said:

I'm with you John, I thought D. decaryi was good to the upper twenties, bummer that it burned that bad at 27f.  I have a tiny D.  baronii seedling that came out fine. I posted this before but I don't know if you saw it, here's a pic of my D. lutescens after a low of 28f. 

IMG_0090.JPG

I'm guessing not only a low of 28F buy heavy frost?

Sunset zone 24

FWIW, the two triangle palms at Moody Gardens in Galveston survived both the 2010 and 2011 freezes. Last week I found two triangle palms in downtown Houston completely defoliated and pruned with only a sad looking spear left...we'll see what happens.

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

simple!

tape a plastic tube (u can but at any hardware store) TAPE it to a shop vac attachment and suck it out. works like a charm.

Sunset zone 24

12 minutes ago, Josh-O said:

I'm guessing not only a low of 28F buy heavy frost?

I honestly don't know if there was frost or not.  I'm only growing two zone pushers for my place, Wodyetia and Coccothrinax barbadensis, they both came out a little roughed up but no big deal so I was surprised the lutes were totally nuked.  

Just now, topwater said:

I honestly don't know if there was frost or not.  I'm only growing two zone pushers for my place, Wodyetia and Coccothrinax barbadensis, they both came out a little roughed up but no big deal so I was surprised the lutes were totally nuked.  

I was surprised to see the lute so browned up at 28F

maybe it was the way the cold air settled on it? I'm sure it will bounce back. those things are survivors 99.99% of the time

Sunset zone 24

I have this same issue and I was reading the thread I though about suction gadgets that people use to change oil from the top.  Something like this, quick, easy, portable and now power required.

https://www.amazon.com/IIT-17544-Siphon-Transfer-Pump/dp/B0043YIFGU/ref=sr_1_41?ie=UTF8&qid=1486448867&sr=8-41&keywords=oil+change+pump

Or even better, this with a cordless drill

https://www.amazon.com/Lanchez-225GPH-Electric-Suction-Discharge/dp/B00ZTRKNT2/ref=sr_1_33?ie=UTF8&qid=1486448867&sr=8-33&keywords=oil+change+pump

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

If the bottom part of the cavity is surrounded only by a couple of leaf sheaths, you can instead drill an oblique hole for drainage. It has worked on a  spear pulled Jubaea in  the UK.

• Upvote 3