IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Just dug out a specimen beccariophoenix alfredii

Josh-O

On 2/9/2017, 10:15:33, Pando said:

Maybe you planted it upside down?

:floor:

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

On 2/9/2017, 12:22:27, DoomsDave said:

Slapping myself. Same thing happened to me, except I dug mine into a 32-gallon and kept it in the shade.

(OUCH.)

Slap a cheek for me :greenthumb:

Sunset zone 24

On 2/9/2017, 3:10:22, Sandy Loam said:

Me too.  I transplanted my Beccariophoenix Alfredii and it died almost immediately afterwards.  Some palms just don't like to be transplanted, like Archontophoenix Cunninghamiana and Dypsis Decipiens too. My theory (with no supporting evidence) is that it's the palms with extensive lateral root systems that don't like to be transplanted, as opposed to palms which send a lot of roots straight downward. 

Josh, I really hope your Alfredii survives!   

Thanks! Me to :) 

Sunset zone 24

14 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

How about a picture of your rejuvenated transplantee? For inspiration?

:greenthumb:

Sunset zone 24

On 2/9/2017, 9:01:54, Josh-O said:

here it is just 2 weeks later.

out of all the palms I have ever dug that are 10 X's more sensitive this one has me a bit puzzled and worried.

IMG_8817.JPG.2a752ca2d2899a90cfe58468881looks like I'm gonna cut off a couple leaves

IMG_8816.JPG.38e364b429a9b8b5a4d8849316fthe spear actually sunk 1/8" the wrong way. SHI@!!!! I put the date on the spear and left the petiole clean. this is not good.

Shrinking sounds like dehydration from loss of plant fluid.  The roots likely now cannot take up enough water for all the leaves as they transpire.  Ken Johnson often cuts roots little at a time over a few months when he transplants a big palm, this causes lots of small roots to grow in the rootball that will not be severed in transplanting.  A cut and pull transplant will leave a small functional root area to supply water for all those leaves.  Ive only transplanted a small 2.5 ft alfredii and it did stall for several months before taking off.  today its 20' overall.  Good luck ith that transplant Josh, I thin itll pull through, but leaves probably need to be cut, may be half of them.

• Upvote 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

1 hour ago, sonoranfans said:

Shrinking sounds like dehydration from loss of plant fluid.  The roots likely now cannot take up enough water for all the leaves as they transpire.  Ken Johnson often cuts roots little at a time over a few months when he transplants a big palm, this causes lots of small roots to grow in the rootball that will not be severed in transplanting.  A cut and pull transplant will leave a small functional root area to supply water for all those leaves.  Ive only transplanted a small 2.5 ft alfredii and it did stall for several months before taking off.  today its 20' overall.  Good luck ith that transplant Josh, I thin itll pull through, but leaves probably need to be cut, may be half of them.

Thanks for the feed back Tom.

I'm defiantly keeping this palm hydrated and giving it lots of B1, super thrive and liquid kelp.

I may just need to cut a couple fronds off or cut them in half?

Sunset zone 24

2 hours ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

So, has it shown any improvement?

no not a bit. Just when I think my dig skills are are invincible this happens ...lol

Of all the big palms I have dug over the years this is the only problem child I have had. :)

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

so far I'm understanding these are fairly root sensitive but eventually bounce back with the proper care. This is very good info to know. I was planning on field growing some of these but may have to rethink this strategy??

Sunset zone 24

5 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

Have you ever tried to transplant a Sabal minor?                              

I have not dug a sabal minor before. I'm guessing it would be a very easy dig.

Sunset zone 24

8 hours ago, Josh-O said:

so far I'm understanding these are fairly root sensitive but eventually bounce back with the proper care. This is very good info to know. I was planning on field growing some of these but may have to rethink this strategy??

The only chance for field growing would be the Ken Johnson method of digging. Even then, that works in humid Florida.  SoCal is a different story, imho.

I think the best method would be boxes.  But Alfies grow roots like crazy fast.  They would be root bound in boxes pretty fast I think.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hammer said:

The only chance for field growing would be the Ken Johnson method of digging. Even then, that works in humid Florida.  SoCal is a different story, imho.

I think the best method would be boxes.  But Alfies grow roots like crazy fast.  They would be root bound in boxes pretty fast I think.

It would be interesting to see how long they'll take being in a container. They certainly are rooty buggers.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Josh,

I am imploringly hoping that you won`t lose this beauty. But however, your documentation about its development

after the relocation is an important piece of work for all of us who are growing this species and might come into a

similar situation one day, please keep us updated - even if it will turn out "...not nicely".

Best regards

11 hours ago, Hammer said:

I will see about some pics in the daylight tomorrow. 

sweet

Sunset zone 24

4 hours ago, palmfriend said:

Josh,

I am imploringly hoping that you won`t lose this beauty. But however, your documentation about its development

after the relocation is an important piece of work for all of us who are growing this species and might come into a

similar situation one day, please keep us updated - even if it will turn out "...not nicely".

Best regards

will do :)

Sunset zone 24

On 2/12/2017, 8:42:50, Josh-O said:

sweet

Sorry, took me a bit...

The smaller Alfie was planted on the same day. Two weeks later I moved it 3 feet and in the process I broke a major root.  The palm stalled for nearly a year. Once it put out new leaves, the leaves went from pinate, backwards to bifid.  It was crazy.  

The bigger one kept right on rolling. 

Both palms were about 18 inches tall at the time they were planted.

The stick my son is holding is 3 feet tall for perspective. 

20170214_171814.jpg

20170214_171846.jpg

• Upvote 4

Very nice!

how old is you son?

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

How's the beccariophoenix alfredii?

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

On 2/14/2017, 6:58:39, Hammer said:

Sorry, took me a bit...

The smaller Alfie was planted on the same day. Two weeks later I moved it 3 feet and in the process I broke a major root.  The palm stalled for nearly a year. Once it put out new leaves, the leaves went from pinate, backwards to bifid.  It was crazy.  

The bigger one kept right on rolling. 

Both palms were about 18 inches tall at the time they were planted.

The stick my son is holding is 3 feet tall for perspective. 

20170214_171814.jpg

20170214_171846.jpg

glad to know they made it.

Cute kid BTY :) 

Sunset zone 24

I hope all this rain will help the tree. it still looks pretty damn sad IMO.

Sunset zone 24

7 hours ago, Josh-O said:

Right it is probably pumping every bit of energy it has into root production.  The rain is probably saving it.  You are super lucky with the timing of the water imo.

• Upvote 1

Did you cut more leaves off as folks thought would help?

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

34 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Did you cut more leaves off as folks thought would help?

nope, but the spear moved up just a tic though:greenthumb:

Now all I need is 3 more inched of movement and I should be ok??

• Upvote 4

Sunset zone 24

2 hours ago, Ken Johnson said:

I see some interesting comments so I thought I would say hey and try to learn a few things about this palm.

I do know how to avoid the "sulking" part...

Ken what are your thoughts on cutting back leaves?  

• Upvote 2

If I have no time I may cut off all the leaves including the spear.

How does it look then?
How long does it take before a new leaf appears? 
Does the palm stay in a stand-by attitude many 
months ?

Thanks,

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

On 2/18/2017, 6:29:32, Josh-O said:

nope, but the spear moved up just a tic though:greenthumb:

Now all I need is 3 more inched of movement and I should be ok??

Slap!

The neighbor. Slapped me back .  . . 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Ken Johnson said:

I like to transplant with lots of time and without cutting any live leaves. If I have no time I may cut off all the leaves including the spear.

Hmmm, not sure whether this can work in a temperate region with many months of winter 'dormancy'.

On 2/20/2017, 5:41:52, Ken Johnson said:

I see some interesting comments so I thought I would say hey and try to learn a few things about this palm.

I do know how to avoid the "sulking" part...

I saw the palm today and I'm not very hopeful. I'm still going to give it some TLC and hope for the best

Sunset zone 24

On 2/20/2017, 12:24:47, Ken Johnson said:

I like to transplant with lots of time and without cutting any live leaves. If I have no time I may cut off all the leaves including the spear.

I wonder If I should have tried this method on Alfredii?

Sunset zone 24

4 hours ago, Josh-O said:

I saw the palm today and I'm not very hopeful. I'm still going to give it some TLC and hope for the best

To soon yet, to give up hope. It will definitely look thrashed in the coming weeks, but it is to early for an opinion on survivability, even if it spear pulls! 

4 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

To soon yet, to give up hope. It will definitely look thrashed in the coming weeks, but it is to early for an opinion on survivability, even if it spear pulls! 

You just alluded to an excellent point.  Might not hurt to use some fungicides on the plant.  It is weakened right now. Plus all the cool rainy weather.  That is a recipe for a fungal attack.

• Upvote 1

Have you cut the leaves off yet?  You are probably in last chance saloon, so I would do it ASAP if you haven't already.  They are likely sucking the thing dry if not.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

57 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Have you cut the leaves off yet?  You are probably in last chance saloon, so I would do it ASAP if you haven't already.  They are likely sucking the thing dry if not.

I cut off 6 leaves and left 3 on.

Im gonna cut the other 3 asap~

oh well, I have 3 in 24" boxes I'm gonna plant in its place?

• Upvote 3

Sunset zone 24

Even in the worst climates root pruning will allow you to transplant without cutting any leaves except the ones that die naturally. The palm may accelerate the browning of leaves during a root prune but it will also send out new leaves even if a little slower. Observing the old verses new leaves DURING the root prune is a diagnostic technique. You will also notice new ROOTS during a root prune!

Again in extreme conditions where root pruning is not possible, even if its the middle of winter, one technique that has shown some evidence of giving an advantage is removing ALL the leaves.

In the best conditions root pruning may be a moot point.

• Upvote 3

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

On Sat Feb 25 2017 18:24:26 GMT+0100, Josh-O said:

I cut off 6 leaves and left 3 on.

Im gonna cut the other 3 asap~

oh well, I have 3 in 24" boxes I'm gonna plant in its place?

Hope it works out in the long run, and my transplant of the same species too, even tho mine is a lot smaller ;) fingers crossed...

• Upvote 1

On 2/27/2017, 11:01:45, Jan Jo said:

Hope it works out in the long run, and my transplant of the same species too, even tho mine is a lot smaller ;) fingers crossed...

I hope it makes it too :)

Sunset zone 24