IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Just dug out a specimen beccariophoenix alfredii

Josh-O

I just dug out a palm that I have never dug before. Its a pretty good size beccariophoenix alfredii. has anyone had experience digging this palm?

If so what are your results. I was able to get a decent size root ball considering all things that were involved with this particular dig.

I would like to hear any feed back on what you think?

IMG_8689.JPG.267b5747018093a182c9a290081before the dig

IMG_8690.JPG.b42551e7fb49d4d7c2c1b0700f7trunk detail

IMG_8695.JPG.80a6555068e5346f24871486656this root ball weighs every bit of 300 lbs easy. it was in very wet soil. not the biggest root ball I was hoping for :(

IMG_8699.JPG.ba0482c515e13bb3a689a1e2c1dpreparing the new hole

IMG_8700.JPG.fbc445b9f5cdeb6aec1408eaa7a back filling and compacting the dirt where it will hopefully make its new home????????????????????

IMG_8701.JPG.4cc0e8744ee747fb97790f5e127taking our sweet time making sure there will be no air pockets

IMG_8702.JPG.ddb316bfe1e60188562e504c69bdoing some drenching treatments to keep if from going into to bad of a shock.

I would love to hear your thoughts and any advice you may have for me.

Cheers,

Josh-O

• Upvote 5

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Josh,

Cardiff Bill dug a specimen a bit smaller than yours about 3 years ago. Since it was close to a sewage line (the reason for the move), he had to carve up the rootball more than he would have liked. It sulked in the new spot & he thought he'd killed it. But after about 3 months, away it went. Last time I saw it, it looked great.

• Upvote 1

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Imho it needs urgently a shade cloth in its new position at least until next winter. Foliage shows already desication symptoms in the last picture.

• Upvote 4

Foliage shows already desiccation symptoms in the last picture.

That would worry me but with a good gardener giving every day treatments ....

• Upvote 1

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

I think your rootball should be fine. This species seems to move like coconuts. That is, they may sulk for a few months if the rootball is small, but they will eventually come back.

• Upvote 3

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Josh, amazing job!  You have "moved" so many palms recently.  The next Ken Johnson!  LOL.  I can only wonder how you do it?  What's the secret drenching treatment?

Cheers!

• Upvote 1

I'm'a slap ya'll if that thing dies!

Wait. . .

I've killed one already, by digging and moving, so I guess y'all could slap me back . . .

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 2/5/2017, 10:24:25, quaman58 said:

Josh,

Cardiff Bill dug a specimen a bit smaller than yours about 3 years ago. Since it was close to a sewage line (the reason for the move), he had to carve up the rootball more than he would have liked. It sulked in the new spot & he thought he'd killed it. But after about 3 months, away it went. Last time I saw it, it looked great.

that's very encouraging news! I marked the spear so I'm hoping for some new growth this next couple weeks??

Sunset zone 24

On 2/5/2017, 10:41:59, Phoenikakias said:

Imho it needs urgently a shade cloth in its new position at least until next winter. Foliage shows already desication symptoms in the last picture.

The palm looked that way before I dug it out. I saw it today and it looks the same. It was growing in full all day sun and has never seen shade before.

cheers, Josh

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

On 2/5/2017, 10:50:05, doranakandawatta said:

Foliage shows already desiccation symptoms in the last picture.

That would worry me but with a good gardener giving every day treatments ....

indeed :)

Sunset zone 24

On 2/5/2017, 12:57:21, Zeeth said:

I think your rootball should be fine. This species seems to move like coconuts. That is, they may sulk for a few months if the rootball is small, but they will eventually come back.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I'm feeling good about this did now. thanks :)

Sunset zone 24

On 2/5/2017, 2:33:31, Vari805 said:

Josh, amazing job!  You have "moved" so many palms recently.  The next Ken Johnson!  LOL.  I can only wonder how you do it?  What's the secret drenching treatment?

Cheers!

lots of vitamins and minerals.

I'm a big fan of liquid kelp as well.

Ken has me beat but I have had some awesome opportunities to dig out some pretty cool big stuff this last couple years.

Sunset zone 24

On 2/5/2017, 7:26:01, DoomsDave said:

Wait. . .

I've killed one already, by digging and moving, so I guess y'all could slap me back . . .

Did you feel that??

lol...

:P

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

15 minutes ago, Josh-O said:

lots of vitamins and minerals.

I'm a big fan of liquid kelp as well.

Ken has me beat but I have had some awesome opportunities to dig out some pretty cool big stuff this last couple years.

Josh.....you the man when it comes to transplants.

Liquid kelp is our friend!!!!

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Josh.....you the man when it comes to transplants.

Liquid kelp is our friend!!!!

now that the ground is soft I'm gonna get busy planting more palms :)

Sunset zone 24

On 2/5/2017, 7:26:01, DoomsDave said:

Wait. . .

Rip Dooms' KO

• Upvote 1

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

23 hours ago, Pete in Paradise Hills said:

Rip Dooms' KO

soooo sad

Sunset zone 24

Well,?! I went looked at it today and it doesn't look that great. I sure hope it makes it because it was a pain in the ass to dig and transport to the garden.  I'll post pictures very soon 

Sunset zone 24

Please do Josh.

• Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Personally I'd cut about half of the leaves off starting with the oldest. It doesn't have enough roots to support all of those leaves now. Once it's roots reshoot the palm will be out of trouble but it will be losing moisture rapidly with all those leaves imho.

• Upvote 4

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

7 hours ago, Tyrone said:

Personally I'd cut about half of the leaves off starting with the oldest. It doesn't have enough roots to support all of those leaves now. Once it's roots reshoot the palm will be out of trouble but it will be losing moisture rapidly with all those leaves imho.

I just might do that.

Good call

Sunset zone 24

here it is just 2 weeks later.

out of all the palms I have ever dug that are 10 X's more sensitive this one has me a bit puzzled and worried.

IMG_8817.JPG.2a752ca2d2899a90cfe58468881looks like I'm gonna cut off a couple leaves

IMG_8816.JPG.38e364b429a9b8b5a4d8849316fthe spear actually sunk 1/8" the wrong way. SHI@!!!! I put the date on the spear and left the petiole clean. this is not good.

• Upvote 3

Sunset zone 24

10 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

Please do Josh.

just posted sad pictures :(

Sunset zone 24

Do you think the spear shrunk or is the stem with your reference mark growing?

Edited by nachocarl
  • Upvote 2

Carl

Vista, CA

OUCH

[fecal material] indeed!

Maybe really souse it with water and put a windbreak around it?

• Upvote 2

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Slapping myself. Same thing happened to me, except I dug mine into a 32-gallon and kept it in the shade.

(OUCH.)

• Upvote 1

Josh, cut a few leaves. Now the palm doesn' have roots to drink and is losing water in the leaves.

It will be better with less leaves.

• Upvote 1

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2017‎ ‎10‎:‎26‎:‎01‎, DoomsDave said:

Wait. . .

Me too.  I transplanted my Beccariophoenix Alfredii and it died almost immediately afterwards.  Some palms just don't like to be transplanted, like Archontophoenix Cunninghamiana and Dypsis Decipiens too. My theory (with no supporting evidence) is that it's the palms with extensive lateral root systems that don't like to be transplanted, as opposed to palms which send a lot of roots straight downward. 

Josh, I really hope your Alfredii survives!   

• Upvote 2

These palms are tough so it will want to live if you know what I mean. Keep it soaked and maybe remove a few of the oldest leaves while it still has internal moisture. As Dave said put some sort of shade and wind break around it and hope for the best.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Slapping the Karma Stone for ya, Josh!

9 hours ago, Monòver said:

Josh, cut a few leaves. Now the palm doesn' have roots to drink and is losing water in the leaves.

It will be better with less leaves.

and besides removing some leaves, what if you tie them together for a while?

• Upvote 3

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

I transplanted one of these a few years ago.  I broke off a major root in the process.  It SULKED.  But eventually came back.

I am not a fan of cutting live leaves.  Just don't like it.  However you might have to.  Unfortunately it seemed to me that the root ball in the pics you posted was so small relative to the palm I am not sure you could cut back enough to make a difference. 

I would drench the palm with water daily. Maybe twice daily. Notice the pics in habitat with the palms growing next to running streams.  Also maybe supplement with some rooting hormone. 

Avoid fertilizer like the plague. Anything that pushes new, tender green growth is the enemy.

Shade is critical.  Gotta do it fast.

Finally, I would also attempt to erect some sort of temporary greenhouse.  Keep the humidity HIGH.  Not an issue at the moment but it will be before this thing is out of the woods.

Probably nothing you don't already know, but a good reminder hopefully. 

• Upvote 5

5 hours ago, Hammer said:

I transplanted one of these a few years ago.  I broke off a major root in the process.  It SULKED.  But eventually came back.

I am not a fan of cutting live leaves.  Just don't like it.  However you might have to.  Unfortunately it seemed to me that the root ball in the pics you posted was so small relative to the palm I am not sure you could cut back enough to make a difference. 

I would drench the palm with water daily. Maybe twice daily. Notice the pics in habitat with the palms growing next to running streams.  Also maybe supplement with some rooting hormone. 

Avoid fertilizer like the plague. Anything that pushes new, tender green growth is the enemy.

Finally, I would also attempt to erect some sort of temporary greenhouse.  Keep the humidity HIGH.  Not an issue at the moment but it will be before this thing is out of the woods.

Finally!

8 hours ago, Hammer said:

How about a picture of your rejuvenated transplantee? For inspiration?

I moved my small one last year , it survived but showed no movement until recently with a new frond ... It is under full sun...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Upvote 3

On 2/9/2017, 9:06:10, nachocarl said:

Do you think the spear shrunk or is the stem with your reference mark growing?

It shrunk down. I always write the date on the spear. When and if it opens you won't be able to see the writing anymore 

Sunset zone 24

On 2/9/2017, 9:54:15, Zifool said:

Damn i hope it goes recovery fast in few week ;)

I hope so. :) 

Sunset zone 24