IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bismarckia Palms

Kevin S

Still a very small one but it is one of my favourite palms - an indoor Palm for me most of the year

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Plantasexoticas
  • Upvote 10

3 hours ago, steve99 said:

Here's mine.

2r4skt1.jpg

Stunning palm. I'll be long gone before mine gets that big

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, steve99 said:

Here's mine.

2r4skt1.jpg

Amazing! I still see too much empty space in this palm garden though... :P

• Upvote 3

IMG_0395.thumb.JPG.254a66e6634dea5c204acIMG_0414.thumb.JPG.e97ccbe391449d52a5424IMG_0389.thumb.JPG.f0dcf55a7ec083bec4e23Here's my shade grown one here in the SF Bay Area. These shots are from two years ago so it's bigger now of course.

• Upvote 8

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

6 hours ago, Jdiaz31089 said:

Amazing! I still see too much empty space in this palm garden though... :P

No worries mate, next garden I build I'll ask for your advice.   :indifferent:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, steve99 said:

No worries mate, next garden I build I'll ask for your advice.   :indifferent:

hah you'll end up with a jungle if you ask for my advice

• Upvote 1

Mine sprouted from seeds , the parents are Steve99's Bizzys ;) 

i have a bigger one in ground ...but still is a baby ...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Upvote 7

3 hours ago, Mohsen said:

Mine sprouted from seeds , the parents are Steve99's Bizzys ;) 

i have a bigger one in ground ...but still is a baby ...

image.jpeg

Oh, I like those violet-purple leaves! :wub: Will your palm keep that colour for all future leaves? :o

• Upvote 4

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

Two babies I planted last spring. The smaller one looked healthy when planted but the first 3 spears it pushed were necrotic, it looked like they were eaten away by a black fungus. I treated it with a copper fungicide but it didn't open a healthy spear until August.  It still looks really stunted, I wish I had taken some pics for the pros to look at.  

IMG_1610.JPG

IMG_1611.JPG

• Upvote 7

There's no doubt variability, but in Florida, this is a fast growing palm.  So much so that there's a bit of a problem with bizzies getting too tall, too fast. 

• Upvote 2

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

On 5 February 2017 at 5:17:44 AM, Pal Meir said:

Oh, I like those violet-purple leaves! :wub: Will your palm keep that colour for all future leaves? :o

I hope so Pal :) 

On 2/5/2017, 3:20:29, Tampa Scott said:

My girl is all grown up with children of her own.

pizap.com14863255035311.thumb.jpg.a5216b

Nice! A full head!

PalmTreeDude

20 hours ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Nice! A full head!

No need to trim off the old leaves as it self cleans.

• Upvote 1

On 2/7/2017, 3:36:18, Tampa Scott said:

No need to trim off the old leaves as it self cleans.

True, they also, in my opinion look better like that.

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude

Here's another pic of one of my Bizzy's.  It's been dropping seeds like crazy over the last 3-4 weeks and I've already collected four 20L buckets full.

ffd9d5c6.jpg

Edited by steve99
  • Upvote 10

16 hours ago, steve99 said:

Here's another pic of one of my Bizzy's.  It's been dropping seeds like crazy over the last 3-4 weeks and I've already collected four 20L buckets full.

ffd9d5c6.jpg

:greenthumb::rolleyes:

Rio_Grande.gif

I don't trim my bismarks. A: too tall, B: too lazy. 

They seem to fall in groups, slow to fall in winter, faster to fall in the summer. My palms seem to grow year round. 

• Upvote 1

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

Here´s mine from over the perimeter wall, about ten years old and 25 feet high.  Really beautiful palms.

20170121_161003.jpg

• Upvote 3

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

On 2/4/2017, 5:14:32, Plantasexoticas said:

Where is the most borderline place anyone has successfully grown a bismarckia?

I've seen a quite a few now in coastal Jacksonville, FL. I would say our climate is a warm 9a/ cool 9b. We're at latitude 30 N. I'm sure some of these Bizzies lived through the winter of 2010 when temps probably got down into the upper 20s for multiple nights and the area broke records for successive nights with freezing temperatures.

• Upvote 1

I tried to get a better shot but the traffic on this road is horrible, and it's under construction,some of these have seed, and I am sooo tempted, I have looked for the owner and left a note in the mail box,  but I never see the gates open.

road bizzy.jpg

Edited by Umbrae
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Looks like my small Bismarckia nobilis (from Jungle Music) survived another winter (sigh of relief)! I've got it planted on a raised berm with a southern exposure in my backyard NorCal (Sacramento). I threw frost cloth over it a few times during winter nights that had the lowest temps. I expect it to enjoy our blazing summers here. 

Bismarckia_nobilis.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Hillizard said:

Looks like my small Bismarckia nobilis (from Jungle Music) survived another winter (sigh of relief)! I've got it planted on a raised berm with a southern exposure in my backyard NorCal (Sacramento). I threw frost cloth over it a few times during winter nights that had the lowest temps. I expect it to enjoy our blazing summers here. 

Bismarckia_nobilis.jpg

I was under the impression that Bizzy's were a pretty solid palm in our zone (9B)?

50 minutes ago, NorCalKing said:

I was under the impression that Bizzy's were a pretty solid palm in our zone (9B)?

I wish that was the case, but unless they're hidden away in private backyards or I just need to travel more locally, I've not seen a really large Bismarckia in the Bay Area like I've seen in SoCal. I suspect they enjoy the heat (and will grow faster) in central California more than in the temperate weather closer to the Bay. In time, in my own garden microclimate, I may learn the answer to that. ;)

9 minutes ago, Hillizard said:

I wish that was the case, but unless they're hidden away in private backyards or I just need to travel more locally, I've not seen a really large Bismarckia in the Bay Area like I've seen in SoCal. I suspect they enjoy the heat (and will grow faster) in central California more than in the temperate weather closer to the Bay. In time, in my own garden microclimate, I may learn the answer to that. ;)

1 hour ago, NorCalKing said:

I've seen them in the southern part of the central valley - Bakersfield, Shafter, some in Fresno also. There's a large nursery on 99 just outside of Stockton that has quite a few large bismarckias on their lot. I've seen large, boxed dypsis decaryi there as well and they seem to handle winters there alright. Lowes has started carrying some in the past few years so I suspect they'll start showing up in people's yards. A local grower (in Fresno) said that they do really well in our heat, but struggle during particularly wet and foggy winters like the one we just had. 

Hillizard, I have one about the same size as yours there. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Jdiaz31089 said:

I've seen them in the southern part of the central valley - Bakersfield, Shafter, some in Fresno also. There's a large nursery on 99 just outside of Stockton that has quite a few large bismarckias on their lot. I've seen large, boxed dypsis decaryi there as well and they seem to handle winters there alright. Lowes has started carrying some in the past few years so I suspect they'll start showing up in people's yards. A local grower (in Fresno) said that they do really well in our heat, but struggle during particularly wet and foggy winters like the one we just had. 

Hillizard, I have one about the same size as yours there. 

Good to know about those sources Jdiaz. I guess you and I are two of the participants in an unofficial north-central Cal Bismarckia growathon. May we all win! ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hillizard said:

I've not seen a really large Bismarckia in the Bay Area like I've seen in SoCal. I suspect they enjoy the heat (and will grow faster) in central California more than in the temperate weather closer to the Bay.

When I bought my first one, people warned me that they might be very slow in my climate about .6 miles from the beach in South Carlsbad.  While I killed the first one, probably with sloppy handling when removing it from the pot, I tried again a few years later.  Unless you are in San Francisco, or across the bay in the Berkeley hills/Oakland hills, you probably have enough summer/early autumn heat.  My guess is that the prolonged periods of cooler and wet periods would be your likely challenge. 

Bottom line, my second planting effort went without any problems and it has flourished.  It slows a little during the winter months, but definitely doesn't stop growing.  So don't let fear of lack of summer heat make you hesitate on trying... try proving any naysayer wrong instead!20170402-104A6101.thumb.jpg.894783175525

• Upvote 3

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

3 hours ago, Hillizard said:

Bismarckia do very well here in the Bay Area. Mine put out three new leaves between January and March and often up to six in summer/fall so even in full shade it does well and grows whether it's hot out or chilly. These pictures are two years old. I need to update.IMG_0415.thumb.JPG.e63d66e00a1a6d262b639IMG_0415.thumb.JPG.e63d66e00a1a6d262b639IMG_0393.thumb.JPG.659142ff54b3e49f7c593IMG_0785.thumb.JPG.30df28e2c4c3a4170ea95

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

29 minutes ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

Bismarckia do very well here in the Bay Area. Mine put out three new leaves between January and March and often up to six in summer/fall so even in full shade it does well and grows whether it's hot out or chilly. These pictures are two years old. I need to update.IMG_0415.thumb.JPG.e63d66e00a1a6d262b639IMG_0415.thumb.JPG.e63d66e00a1a6d262b639IMG_0393.thumb.JPG.659142ff54b3e49f7c593IMG_0785.thumb.JPG.30df28e2c4c3a4170ea95

Beautiful palm in your picture! Would love to see an updated image later this year. I imagine the fact that you're growing it in USDA zones 10a/9b |Sunset zone 16 has several advantages, especially in the winter! I'm solidly in USDA zone 9b/Sunset zone 14, and my palm has no canopy protection, so it's got several disadvantages from the start. I'll just have to wait patiently and see what happens... :unsure:

43 minutes ago, Tracy said:

When I bought my first one, people warned me that they might be very slow in my climate about .6 miles from the beach in South Carlsbad.  While I killed the first one, probably with sloppy handling when removing it from the pot, I tried again a few years later.  Unless you are in San Francisco, or across the bay in the Berkeley hills/Oakland hills, you probably have enough summer/early autumn heat.  My guess is that the prolonged periods of cooler and wet periods would be your likely challenge. 

Bottom line, my second planting effort went without any problems and it has flourished.  It slows a little during the winter months, but definitely doesn't stop growing.  So don't let fear of lack of summer heat make you hesitate on trying... try proving any naysayer wrong instead!20170402-104A6101.thumb.jpg.894783175525

Thanks for posting that picture of the palm (and others) in your garden. Very nice!! I actually don't have a heat issue in the summer where I live in inland NorCal; it's soggy soil in the winter that's the issue. It's why I planted my Bismarckia on a raised bed to ensure drainage. That may have helped during our recent winter deluge!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tracy said:

... try proving any naysayer wrong instead!

I love this Tracy! Good philosophy to live [plant] by!