IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Some aloes in bloom in California.

Kevin S

This is the first bloom seedling  Second year for that batch of seedlings.  Got this one from Karen and Paul at the living Cycad they originally thought it was a form of aloe ferox.  

They are pretty funny offered to replace plants that aren't true like I am going to give it back lol.

IMG_9165.JPG

• Upvote 7

This photo is of aloe ferox.  The red color one I purchased from a aloe grower at the cactus and succulent show and sale.

The other one I started from seed I imported from South Africa.

IMG_9155.JPG

IMG_9157.JPG

• Upvote 7

Beautiful Kevin! I have a few more that have never bloomed and I can't wait till they do so I can finally ID them.

• Upvote 1

Warrior Palm Princess, Satellite Beach, Florida

7 hours ago, Peter said:

Hi Kevin, your last aloe is thraskii, not ferox.

No it is ferox from some variant in South Africa by some railroad but I can't remember the whole story.  Here is a picture from last year of it.IMG_1561.thumb.JPG.b8937cee6e0d7b84fa16a

• Upvote 4

Here is a picture of my thraskii. Thraskii stamens bend upward at the end.  And thraskii blooms a little earlier then ferox.

IMG_4025.JPG

• Upvote 6

This one is a very interesting Aloe Suprafoliata.  It starts off like most aloes with leaves on two sides but stays that way longer before it starts spiraling.

The flower tip is very bluish in color :)  Wish there was a aloe that was completely blue when it flowers.

IMG_1688.JPG

• Upvote 4

Nice Aloes!  Your ferox looks like a cross between marlothii and thraskii!  The somewhat curvy form of the plant looks more like thraskii.  Unlike thraskii though, the flower spike has more branches... like marlothii.  Unlike marlothii though, the flower branches end up going vertical... like thraskii.  I really don't see much ferox in your ferox.  Then again, I'm definitely not an expert.  You might put it on Agaveville without mentioning your ID.  I'd be curious what IDs people offered. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, epiphyte said:

Nice Aloes!  Your ferox looks like a cross between marlothii and thraskii!  The somewhat curvy form of the plant looks more like thraskii.  Unlike thraskii though, the flower spike has more branches... like marlothii.  Unlike marlothii though, the flower branches end up going vertical... like thraskii.  I really don't see much ferox in your ferox.  Then again, I'm definitely not an expert.  You might put it on Agaveville without mentioning your ID.  I'd be curious what IDs people offered. 

Great pictures Kev. Agree with epiphyte, also think that aloe is a cross as well, spectacular none the less. Very sure seasoned members over on the "ville" should have some great additional thoughts. Pretty much the " Palmtalk" of all things Agave and Succulent. Have seen a few of our gang posting and discussing things over there from time to time. 

In this photo is Aloe Aculeata.  Even when not in flower this aloe is very beautiful with the spines on the leaves.  The first one is the common form the second one is a variant.

IMG_9731.JPG

IMG_1742.JPG

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...

I ended up with a bunch of seedlings that all turned out like this nothing like they're supposed to be unless this is what they are supposed to look like from wherever they gather the seed from in South Africa.

IMG_0074.JPG

• Upvote 3

Aloe castanea in flower.  Even when not in flower this aloe will have colorful leaves most of the year.

IMG_0082.JPG

• Upvote 3

i love aloe,

thanks ;)

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

Kevin, your bunch of unknown seedlings look  like a globulagemma x speciosa that I have blooming right now.

hybrid2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

San Fernando Valley, California

Really miss my old Aloe garden... but at least I can still visit the Huntington and get a small fraction of my aloe cravings relieved from them

Aloe aculeates (first 2), Aloe africana, Aloe cameronii, Aloe fastened, Aloe erinaceae (first time I have seen this one in flower), Aloe erinaceae hybrids, Aloe ferox hybrid, Aloe ferox x microstigma hybrids, Aloe lolwensis and Aloe Mango Madness

Aloe aculeata curved floewrs like a living creature 2-17.jpg

Aloe aculeata flowers in feb 2017 H.jpg

Aloe africana on ground flowering 2-17 H.jpg

Aloe cameronii in bloom HU 2-17.jpg

Aloe castanea 2-17 in full flower H.jpg

Aloe erinaceae flower another angle H 2-17.jpg

Aloe erinaceae hybrid flowering nice 2-17 H.jpg

Aloe ferox hybrid maybe flowers in Feb whitish.jpg

Aloe ferox hybrids (with microstigma on right) 2-17 H.jpg

Aloe lolwensis in flower 2-17 H.jpg

Aloe Mango Madness in flower 2-17 H.jpg

• Upvote 4

Aloe marlothii Kwa Zulu form (aka Aloe spectabilis) first two photos, Aloe marlothii red form, Aloe maw and close up, Aloe parvibracteatas, Aloe percrassa flowers, Aloe petricolas and close up, Aloe rivierei, Aloe rubroviolacea, Aloe scorpioides, Aloe secundiflora, Aloe spicata (large, old plant) fallen over in wet and windy weather, Aloe susannae and lastly, Aloe taurii hybrid flowers.

Aloe marllothii Kwa Zulu in flower shot early 2-17 H.jpg

Aloe marlothii Kwa Zulu flowers in full bloom early Feb 2017 H.jpg

Aloe marlothiis red in bloom 2-17 H.jpg

Aloe mawii in flower near trail H 2-17.jpg

Aloe mawii flower details H 2-17.jpg

Aloe parvibracteatas in bloom early 2-17 H.jpg

Aloe percrassa flowers in Feb 2017 H.jpg

Aloe petricola foliage and early flowers 2-17.jpg

Aloe petricola flowers early stage 2-17 H.jpg

Aloe rivieri in flower 2-17 H.jpg

Aloe rubroviolacea in flower 2-17 H.jpg

Aloe scorpioides fully in flower 2-17 H.jpg

Aloe secundiflora in flower 2-17 H.jpg

Aloe spicata maybe crashed shot 2 early 2-17 H.jpg

Aloe susannae trunking in flower early 2-17 H.jpg

Aloe tauri hybrid flowers 2-17.jpg

• Upvote 6

Aloe vilmoriniana, Aloe Vulcan's Fire, Aloe wickensii (aka cryptopoda var. wickensii), Aloe William Heitrich, Aloe harlana, Aloe 'Rooikappie's, Aloe tongaensis (aka Aloe Medusa) and Aloe Scarlet Rockets.

Aloe vilmoriana colony in flower 1 early 2-17 H.jpg

Aloe Vulcan's Fire flower shot 2 2-17 H.jpg

Aloe wickensii 2-17 H in flower.jpg

Aloe William Hietrch mass in flower 2-17 H.jpg

Aloe harlana flowering 12-16 H.jpg

Aloe Rooikappies in flower nice 12-16 H.jpg

Aloe tongaensis flowers yet again 12-16 H.jpg

Aloe Scarlet Rockets flowers again 12-16.jpg

• Upvote 6

:yay: so many!

• Upvote 1

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

17 hours ago, Peter said:

Kevin, your bunch of unknown seedlings look  like a globulagemma x speciosa that I have blooming right now.

hybrid2.jpg 

They were supposed to be globulagemma I was really looking forward to having that species. I am not too much a fan of hybrids.  But at least they have spectacular flower.  I wonder if this is a natural occurring highbred?  I ended up with seven or eight of them all exactly the same flower.

Outstanding!!!

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

I thought I'd share some photos I took at Disneyland California.  On the tram ride from the parking structure you can see many different aloes they planted.

IMG_9873.JPG

• Upvote 2

Los Angeles arboretum also has some nice Aloes:  Aloe ciliaris, Aloe dawes, Aloe ferox flower varieties (2); Aloe ferox tall, Aloe grandidentiata, Aloe marlothii bicolor, Aloe massawana colony, Aloe pluridens, Aloe porphyrostachys, Aloe Principes (2 shots), Aloe rubroviolacea colony, Aloe Cynthia Giddy colony, Aloe speciosa cristate flowers, Aloe striata x maculata, Aloe vaombe, Aloe vaotsanda and Aloe vryhedensis hybrid colonies

Aloe ciliaris mound 1 larb.jpg

Aloe dawei nice in light larb 2-16.jpg

Aloe ferox cristate flower 2-16 larb.jpg

Aloe ferox golden floewrs.jpg

Aloe ferox or excelsas larb.jpg

Aloe grandidentata flow Laarb Jan.jpg

Aloe marlothii bicolor flowers larb.jpg

Aloe masawanas in flower H.jpg

Aloe pluridens flowering 2-16 larb.jpg

Aloe porphyrostachys larb.jpg

Aloe Principes bicolor flower shot larb.jpg

Aloe principisX view Laarb winter.jpg

Aloe rubroviolacea flowering jan larb.jpg

Aloe Cynthia Giddys in bloom larb December.jpg

Aloe speciosa close flowers early 2-16 larb.jpg

Aloe striata x maculata flowering jan larb.jpg

Aloe vaombe blooming like mad larb.jpg

Aloe vaotsanda flowers 2-11 larb.jpg

Aloe vryheidensis hybrid bicolor colony larb.jpg

• Upvote 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Aloe speciosa just starting to open some flowers, working its way from the bottom up!

20171223-104A8128.jpg

20171223-104A8126.jpg

20171223-104A8127.jpg

• Upvote 5

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

• 3 weeks later...

Any Id on your first aloe you posted. The one you were told was aloe ferox. Looks a lot like one I have that was said to be aloe spectabilis .similar to marlothii from what I gather