IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Why Are Sabal Palmettos Not Found More Inland?

PalmTreeDude

Why in the world is Sabal palmetto not naturally distributed more inland, especially places like the carolinas? If it were to grow in areas where they are really successful grown inland, they would be to Columbia, S.C. and maybe places like Fayetteville, N.C. What is it that limiteds its range so much?

PalmTreeDude

They have successfully colonized the east coast because their seeds are carried by ocean currents or rivers and swamps. Swamps don't exist far inland thus the seeds aren't carried there hence no palmettos. 

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

Over the long term, coastal climate is significantly milder than inland.  That doesn't explain the lack of wild Sabal palmetto west of about Panama City, Florida.

Sabal palmetto occupies a variety of habitats.  Some are subject to periodic fire, which can control hardwoods.  I think Weakley's online flora comments that at its northern limit, it survives hurricanes quite well and occupies sites where live oaks might have been knocked over.  I think that's a reasonable surmise.

• Upvote 1

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

On 2/1/2017, 6:59:32, Dave-Vero said:

Over the long term, coastal climate is significantly milder than inland.  That doesn't explain the lack of wild Sabal palmetto west of about Panama City, Florida.

Sabal palmetto occupies a variety of habitats.  Some are subject to periodic fire, which can control hardwoods.  I think Weakley's online flora comments that at its northern limit, it survives hurricanes quite well and occupies sites where live oaks might have been knocked over.  I think that's a reasonable surmise.

I've wondered about their lack of westward expansion as well, seems like they ought to continue all along the gulf coast all the way along Texas at least to where the rainfall decreases below what they need.

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

I think that competition from other plants increases as you go inland.  There are S. palmettos in Augusta, GA that are over 100 years old.  They naturalize readily here.....in fact they can be downright weedy, but the local forests never have them.  The woods are too dense and maybe even too dry.  In Georgia, S. palmetto naturally grows within about 50 miles of the coast.  

• Upvote 1

Joseph C. Le Vert

Augusta, GA

USA

Zone 8

On 2/2/2017, 4:02:34, JLeVert said:

I think that competition from other plants increases as you go inland.  There are S. palmettos in Augusta, GA that are over 100 years old.  They naturalize readily here.....in fact they can be downright weedy, but the local forests never have them.  The woods are too dense and maybe even too dry.  In Georgia, S. palmetto naturally grows within about 50 miles of the coast.  

Hmm... They do tend to like shrub like or lightly forested areas. And along the banks of rivers and in swamps. I loved looking at the native ones in Hilton Head, S.C. It shows how the coastal forest was not extremely thick. It was more like a tree every 5 - 10 feet from eachother rather than inland where it is like 1 inch to 1 foot from eachother.

PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude -

At least in Georgia, the inland forests have taller trees than on the coast. The Palmettos might get shaded out easily.   Hurricanes would take care of any tree on the coast that got so ambitious that it soared above all the others.  The most impressive coastal trees are Live Oaks and they are not very tall, but spread widely  

There could also be a vector problem inland:  maybe the wrong birds or too many of them make it difficult for the seeds to disperse easily.  

Joseph C. Le Vert

Augusta, GA

USA

Zone 8

5 hours ago, JLeVert said:

PalmTreeDude -

At least in Georgia, the inland forests have taller trees than on the coast. The Palmettos might get shaded out easily.   Hurricanes would take care of any tree on the coast that got so ambitious that it soared above all the others.  The most impressive coastal trees are Live Oaks and they are not very tall, but spread widely  

There could also be a vector problem inland:  maybe the wrong birds or too many of them make it difficult for the seeds to disperse easily.  

I also agree with this, too many tall trees, compare that to Sabal palmettos average height and growth rate, it would almost seem impossible to grow in the woods there. Well, U guess that is why there are Sabal minor! I looked on Google Maps around Hilton Head and I saw a river that started on the shore, you could see Sabal palmetto all around it, then as you go more inland it reduces to just directly on the bank, then it goes pretty far inland, maybe 2 - 4 miles, and stops. Water really does have a big influence on there distribution. 

PalmTreeDude

I was in the Ogeechee River flood plain (about 45 min. southwest of Augusta, GA)  just after Christmas and there were tons of S. minor and R. hystrix growing everywhere.  In the summer, it would be deep shade and periodically flooded in the winter.  It was also tick city!  I named it Zika, Georgia.  I'll bet you'd be dead of something if you wandered down in there in the summer:  snake bite, swamp miasma, malaria, yellow fever, ebola.......you get the picture.  The palms were very happy.

Joseph C. Le Vert

Augusta, GA

USA

Zone 8