IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Garden Progress in Costa Rica

humangenomaproject

Just finished the back yard in Casa Caribaea. Tons of cool jewels I've been growing in pots for years are finally in the ground. Corypha U. on the left. Phonicophoreum center left. Areca Macrocalyx left of pool. Chamberonia Hokkerii right corner.

Backyard.jpg

• Upvote 5

Grateful to Jeff Marcus for convincing me to buy this Tahina. Cranking on the small lawn next to the rancho!

tahina.jpg

• Upvote 8

After a few years struggling in the ground and sun acclimatizing, this Marojejyi is starting to pick up speed.

marojejyi.jpg

• Upvote 7

These Dypsis Mananjarensis are so slow to start but are finally pushing respectable spears (that are starting to twist a bit).

Mananjarensis.jpg

• Upvote 5

Beautiful! All the best for your plants!

Just one question: Will the space, provided for your Corypha u., be wide enough? (I am just wondering

if you have to ripp off the terrace on day for the growing trunk. I have got one by myself but still don`t know

where to release this "monster"...;))

best regards

Thanks. I'm worried about the Corypha as well. We have some monsters down here so I hear ya! I planted a bunch of (supposedly slow growing) New Caladonia stuff under all these monocarpic giants with the goal of them supplanting these giants when they seed.

Whats the easiness of getting different species of palms in Costa Rica? I realise you have an amazing collection. I don't suppose it would be like USA or OZ? or the same? Do Costa Ricans love palms?  

The import restrictions are very strict. I lose a fair amount to general inspection when they come in as these guys destroy a few plants to make sure there are no "unfriendly agents". A smile and some Costa Rican slang really come in handy here. Some plants are outright banned. For instance, all Caryota here I had to either purchase domestic or bring in the seed.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, humangenomaproject said:

The import restrictions are very strict. I lose a fair amount to general inspection when they come in as these guys destroy a few plants to make sure there are no "unfriendly agents". A smile and some Costa Rican slang really come in handy here. Some plants are outright banned. For instance, all Caryota here I had to either purchase domestic or bring in the seed.

It is difficult for most people to understand that just because you live in a tropical paradise does not mean you have access to an infinite variety of plants to choose from.

At least in Costa Rica the rules are fairly black and white. In Guatemala ALL laws are open to broad interpretation. The few times I have legally brought in plants have been nightmares. The whole process is designed so that you pay as many people as possible special "fees" to facilitate the importation even though you have all the proper documents.

I call this the "Blue Eyed Tax" or "The Guatemalan Tango"

Almost every plant in my garden has a story and mental scars etched in my brain.

• Upvote 3

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Here is a Phoenicophoreum with two Areca Catechu Albas on the right (fast growers). Those are Burretiokentias in pots (grandiflora and dumasii). There are some Areca Oxycarpa under these three palms as well as some Areca Multifida going up the rock trail to the look out rancho.

phony.jpg

• Upvote 4

Sweet views of the pacific laced with some Veitchia and Foxy Ladies. In the back are some Wallichia Disticha that are really getting big.

view.jpg

• Upvote 6

On 28/1/2017 00:55:17, humangenomaproject said:

Thanks. I'm worried about the Corypha as well. We have some monsters down here so I hear ya! I planted a bunch of (supposedly slow growing) New Caladonia stuff under all these monocarpic giants with the goal of them supplanting these giants when they seed.

Wonderful garden, but if you check my old post about Talipots in Peradeniya gardens, (Corypha umbraculifera) you may see that there is no viable space in the ground between these giants,

But:

your Corypha may become mature and fruit only around 2060, it gives you some time to enjoy before that ( I'll be sleeping underground already then :))

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

22 hours ago, humangenomaproject said:

Here is a Phoenicophoreum with two Areca Catechu Albas on the right (fast growers). Those are Burretiokentias in pots (grandiflora and dumasii). There are some Areca Oxycarpa under these three palms as well as some Areca Multifida going up the rock trail to the look out rancho.

phony.jpg

Do your Areca catechu 'Alba' enjoy full sun?
In Dorankanda, I planted the seedlings in half shade.

Philippe

Half shade and heavy feeders. They grew fast. I think the Corypha might bloom before 2060 though as there was one in Rio Claro that only lasted 20 years and was grown by Robert Betham. He always joked that he was waiting for the Corypha to flower before he died. The guy is like 95 years old and still cruising around in his garden. Just brought him an Areca Macrocalyx the last time I went down that way. Legend!

• Upvote 1

The guy is like 95 years old and still cruising around in his garden. Just brought him an Areca Macrocalyx the last time I went down that way. Legend!

Could you post pictures of this garden? looking forward to discovering that!

Philippe

1 hour ago, humangenomaproject said:

Will do Philippe!

And many more pictures of your garden? I wish I could come and stay :D but… it's far!

Philippe