IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Treebert

Hello everybody :)

My first post on Palm Talk is in a bid to find someone who has witnessed transplant stress of a large Howea forsteriana. March (early autumn) last year I dug up and moved an impressive 5m specimen. I have moved a number of large plants with 100% success yet have never moved something quite like this incredible palm which whilst still alive is at a point where it needs to turn the corner. Adelaide Australia experienced an exceptionally cold long drawn out winter and in hindsight I should have waited until the next spring to move. I am not confident this palm will survive and I would be extraordinarily grateful to hear from anyone that has a similar story to compare my palm to. some people may find pictures distressing :(

IMG_4293.JPG

IMG_4345.JPG

IMG_4317.JPG

20160625_045937566_iOS.jpg

• Upvote 2

Yes pictures are distressing. It's not looking good. I think you may need to start making funeral arrangements.

I have transplanted smaller ones and they have been fine.

1 minute ago, Palms4Steve said:

Yes pictures are distressing. It's not looking good. I think you may need to start making funeral arrangements.

I have transplanted smaller ones and they have been fine.

It is very sad. Yup i have been busily trying to come to terms with this fact :( 

• Upvote 2

I am not familiar with transplanting these, just planting from boxes. Looks like a very small root ball for the size of the palm however. Can't see it making it if you are going into winter.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

6 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

I am not familiar with transplanting these, just planting from boxes. Looks like a very small root ball for the size of the palm however. Can't see it making it if you are going into winter.

Still have up to 3 months of warmth before winter. i tell you what i will take a rootball that weighs 200kg next time i move a palm like this one

• Upvote 2

Welcome to the forum Rob glad you finally posted a story about your experience with this transplant here. I hope a few more people can share some stories of transplanting a large Howea forsteriana. The spear is still there so I wouldn't right the palm off completely yet. It is a patients game waiting for something to happen and will be a long wait for a full canopy to grow back. Once new roots have been established growth should speed up a little.

Having transplanted several Howeas, they are a tough plant and usually fair well.

As mentioned above, the root ball did seem small for that size plant.

Hopefully you have watered it well and the warm weather should help as well.

Good luck and keep us updated.

12 hours ago, Pip said:

Welcome to the forum Rob glad you finally posted a story about your experience with this transplant here. I hope a few more people can share some stories of transplanting a large Howea forsteriana. The spear is still there so I wouldn't right the palm off completely yet. It is a patients game waiting for something to happen and will be a long wait for a full canopy to grow back. Once new roots have been established growth should speed up a little.

Cheers Pip, its been a journey as you know all to well :)

Its not a happy story yet I have learnt so many lessons which will only need to be learnt once :) Update. The spike is still growing ever so slowly yet top foot of unfolding leaf has lost its green yet the rest of spike looks better today than it did immediately after watering well and the rain a few days later. Its tips always brown and heart loses its vibrant green after a good water and 3-4 days later its colour comes back. This baffles me as and there are no issues regarding rot. Contaniments in soil maybe. It is definantly planted with growing roots. this poor palm's biggest issue is obviously photosynthesising and if this new leaf fails its game over yet I guarantee there will be a big Kentia to take its place one day :) Its my Tree

10 hours ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Having transplanted several Howeas, they are a tough plant and usually fair well.

As mentioned above, the root ball did seem small for that size plant.

Hopefully you have watered it well and the warm weather should help as well.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Hey Jim. I am so new to palms and it was actually this one that opened my eyes to them. I didn't know what I had until I got it home and stood it up in the open that it dawned on me. weight was an issue with the rootball due to the cramped position and access. I totally underestimated its weight also. I thought I had enough but in hindsight I would have hired a crane.

I copied and pasted update i gave to Pip

Update. The spike is still growing ever so slowly yet the top foot of unfolding leaf has browned yet the rest of spike looks better today than it did immediately after watering well and the rain a few days later. Its tips always brown and heart loses its vibrant green after a good water and 3-4 days later its colour comes back. This baffles me as and there are no issues regarding rot. Contaniments in soil maybe. Maybe it is full of water being unable to transpire. Maybe  It is definantly planted with growing 2mm fibrous roots found 150mm from ball. this poor palm's biggest issue is obviously photosynthesising and if this new leaf fails its game over. I will dissect it and then go looking for an even bigger one to take its place :) 

as the soil temp rose to over 13 degrees in spring i gave the soil a mild seaweed soil conditioner solution (Seasol) and within days the palm went from what it was in the fourth picture downhill big time. Instantly browning from the leaf tips and eventually there was no green left. a month or two later.

u have any thoughts about this Palm Tree?

I helped a friend move 1 about the size of yours his 1 came out of sand so hardly any soil stayed with the root ball and we planted it clay we also done it late autumn and it has taken al long time for it to take off if i had to guess his will be coming up to the 3rd year that we done his but by next summer it will be.looking like brand new its just throwing its first un deformed leaf, use heaps of seasol at least once a week and patience is the key but im tipping it will be nearly 4 yrs before it looks like it should, his kept alot of leaf which we cut down but we put his in shade yours will be fine, 

• Upvote 1

Treebert.

I too have ventured down that path. With a few differences. 1. I was not in control of the Palm extraction. 2. It was done in the middle of an Adelaide summer. 3. Root ball was less than yours.

So I was up against the eight ball from the start.

They (2 Howea's about 2m tall) only lasted about a year from memory, if that.

In hindsight I probably should have placed them pots (as it was suggested to me at the time from this group).

I have since found 3 more Howea's, smaller and more manageable than the previous 2, plus I di d the extraction my self so was able to get a better root ball. Two of these I placed into pots and are moving along slowly but are definitely alive , the 3rd Howea I took the gamble and planted it straight into the ground. To this day it hasn't moved an millimeter, but it's still green and no spear pull. So fingers crossed.

IMAG6525.thumb.jpg.1c634acbc65ede6672bc2

No movement for what feels like 10 to 12 months now.

IMAG6526.thumb.jpg.b8e7b5fbf8818fbd78906

In gound planting.

IMAG6527.thumb.jpg.f9a8ade25d679c8fad6e3

In pot planting.

First line - 20-08-2016

Second line - 18-12-2016

IMAG6528.thumb.jpg.1bd351007321ca1722761

In pot planting.

So maybe planting in a pot is the best solution, but maybe not practical for a larger specimen like yours.

Treeburt

welcome to Palm Talk!

water your Howea

a lot

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Did you trim back the roots?, 

Water it well,Mark and observe new spear, fingers crossed. 

Maybe laying down new roots.