IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Show us why you love your Dypsis

Jdiaz31089

Pembana

IMG_1983.thumb.JPG.79d0142c1430920c2b0a1

• Upvote 7

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Lutescens oddball variant and babies

IMG_1984.thumb.JPG.d1891fda849b7ab868b21IMG_1985.thumb.JPG.08efe16449c28b6b53ae0IMG_1990.thumb.JPG.2fc529e56d1ba4129f8b1

• Upvote 6

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Mahajanga

IMG_1992.thumb.JPG.90095dd305d85a5eefac5

• Upvote 5

Onilahensis droopy 

IMG_1981.thumb.JPG.a3f514b4e30500183b45f

• Upvote 9

Big bad baronii 

IMG_1993.JPG

• Upvote 4

Super Decipiens!

image.thumb.jpg.1d4a9198932935c8cde13a17

• Upvote 7

Another picture 

image.thumb.jpg.a0f7c2178c1ad75b25c736a0

DOINK!

Wunderbar! 

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

On Mon Jan 30 2017 10:30:04 GMT+1100, DoomsDave said:

Super Decipiens!

image.thumb.jpg.1d4a9198932935c8cde13a17

How big was that whennit was planted and how long has it been in the ground for now looks great

My favorite small Dypsis, and one of the only ones to survive my dryer valley D. Beentjei. Growing at a very fast rate.

IMG_0074.jpg

• Upvote 15

I agree Bill, would love a D. metallica after seeing in the latest Palms. Any source yet?? 

Shot of my front door area. Fat boy D. carlsmith, D. rosea, in rt corner D. dark mealy bug, the extremely slow D. decepiens top left corner. Most from Bill Austin nursery, a few

years back.

aloha

IMG_0075.jpg

• Upvote 6

On 1/31/2017, 1:28:18, coops 3214 said:

How big was that whennit was planted and how long has it been in the ground for now looks great

It was a big 7 gallon back in 2005.

The giant Royal right next to it blew it into the weeds, but it soldiers on.

This is one of my favourite little Dypsis.  I purchased it as Dypsis remotiflora, but I'm not sure if that is correct.

IMG_4615.JPG

IMG_4618.JPG

IMG_4620.JPG

• Upvote 11

4 hours ago, Palms4Steve said:

This is one of my favourite little Dypsis.  I purchased it as Dypsis remotiflora, but I'm not sure if that is correct.

IMG_4615.JPG

IMG_4618.JPG

IMG_4620.JPG

Very cool!

• Upvote 2

Can't wait for my Dypsis start getting some trunk in Hawaii.  Hopefully they'll start picking up a little grow faster now that they're starting to get establish.

IMG_9603.JPG

IMG_9619.JPG

• Upvote 4

Boy Steve, that's a real beauty. I think I need about a dozen of those.

Tim

• Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Small Dypsis leucomalla, from a 4 inch pot, been in ground 3-4 years, from FloribundaIMG_0077.thumb.jpg.f14d3771d697017cc112b. Pretty slow, but steady. 

• Upvote 4

Dypsis brevicaulis, been flowering for about a year, with no seed yet, anyone have any hints

on how to hand pollinate these??  

Matt:  The D. leucomalla puts out about one leaf a year, but at least the new one is IMG_0079.thumb.jpg.fc970088e525774fd6798 bigger than the

last. The trunk in the picture is from a D. carlsmithii that was planted the same time from a 15 gallon.

and has a one and a half foot in diameter trunk. So ya the leucomalla is really slow.

IMG_0078.thumb.jpg.7b2e955e502c9a3e466e3

• Upvote 6

Colin it takes about that long before they start to set up seed,mine flowered for over a year before making seed. As for leucomalla they are so slowwwwwwwwwwwww.

Ok, a couple more Dypsis, corniculata and leptocheilos. big and small. The leptocheilos. should soon have zillions of seed. Had lots before, just thru them away. Not

sure if anyone out there would want any, a more common palm, but beautiful and hardy none the less. The corniculata is really leathery and would make a great group planting.

aloha

IMG_0080.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg

IMG_0086.jpg

• Upvote 4

Dypsis pusilla, reddish new leaf, both from seedlings and put into ground from small 4 inch pots. Pretty hardy vonitra type. From

Floribunda . aloha. Thanks Jeff and Suchin

IMG_0083.jpg

IMG_0084.jpg

• Upvote 7

Three of my Dypsis put on a show this week. First two photos are Dypsis pusilla. Last two are of two fibrosa both opening a leaf at the same time. They are hard to photograph in my crowded space.

IMG_20170208_080432_741[1].jpg

IMG_20170210_080846_012[1].jpg

IMG_20170210_075144_156[1].jpg

IMG_20170210_075100_781[1].jpg

• Upvote 8

• 2 months later...

Side yard Dypsis orgy garden from right: mahajanga, carlsmithii (barely visible), cabadae (behind), pembana, I got this from Jeff Marcus 12 years ago as "arenarum", leptocheillos, mayotte, crinita, onielihensis, plumosaIMG_9714.thumb.jpg.f1190ff72c39d07481b1d

Same plants different angle with D. prestoniana at far left and hen in front!  Dypsis take me away!!!!!

IMG_9723.thumb.jpg.e745c29afb8ff1da4c060

• Upvote 8

MM

Mark, 

That last pic is a sweet angle of some great palms. Need to get up & visit you again.

Bret

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

34 minutes ago, Mark M @ S. Oceanside palms said:

Side yard Dypsis orgy garden from right: mahajanga, carlsmithii (barely visible), cabadae (behind), pembana, I got this from Jeff Marcus 12 years ago as "arenarum", leptocheillos, mayotte, crinita, onielihensis, plumosaIMG_9714.thumb.jpg.f1190ff72c39d07481b1d

Same plants different angle with D. prestoniana at far left and hen in front!  Dypsis take me away!!!!!

IMG_9723.thumb.jpg.e745c29afb8ff1da4c060

Wow, i love it!:drool:

1 hour ago, quaman58 said:

Mark, 

That last pic is a sweet angle of some great palms. Need to get up & visit you again.

Bret

Come on by anytime for a tour Bret.   All Palmophiles are welcome.

• Upvote 1

MM

What i was thinking it was D tsaravoasira but that also could be D ampasindavae

29916200300_9b8038f95d_c.jpg

32986882465_0d18457a9f_c.jpg

• Upvote 7

Olivier
My Flickr Album
Palmeraie Union Society - Ti-Palm' Society

12 minutes ago, olivier971 said:
14 minutes ago, olivier971 said:

My Dypsis ovobontsira

29916198730_654d916dfb_c.jpg

29582748303_f370ff0be9_c.jpg

More, more,more, please!!!:yay:

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a little Triangle with red leaf bases.

P5080004.thumb.JPG.150241405e0104d5e7cea

And here a D 'laffa' with distinctive maroon spear emerging from a powder white sheath.

P5080011.thumb.JPG.011dbd8561c4427d39617

And our lovely D. penbana

P5080015.thumb.JPG.5d88b24a50d76d9d848a5P5080013.thumb.JPG.9ce0d342f54d7c7bbe0f2 

• Upvote 7

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.