IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Show us why you love your Dypsis

Jdiaz31089

Despite living in a less-than-ideal place to grow almost any of the dypsis species, I have come to really appreciate this genus. Being relatively new to the palm world, I don't have much to show, but here is why i love the dypsis (dypses? dypsises?) :huh:

This is my small, 1-gallon prestoniana. I bought it from Jeff Searle in October, and shipped it all the way back to myself here in CA. Since then, it's been pretty much faring for itself through our cold winter nights (including many nights in the low 30s). It is a little beat up, but despite all the odds being against it, it has not stopped pushing new growth, albeit slowly.  Today I noticed the salmon-colored accents on the petioles were brighter than I've seen them before. Perhaps it was the lighting? or cold weather? 

Anyway, isn't she beautiful?

20170124_132939.thumb.jpg.a5c417b129ca54

• Upvote 4

Yeah, you're facing an uphill battle with most of them, alas!

But decipiens should make it.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

9 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Yeah, you're facing an uphill battle with most of them, alas!

But decipiens should make it.

You can't blame me for trying lol.

I take it you don't like dypsis... ;)because you're not showing us why you do. if you do.. B)

• Upvote 1

I'd marry one if I could. Or all of them . . .

D. leptocheilos.

IMG_4824.thumb.JPG.b4010c86d022b0610f5ba

• Upvote 10

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

1 hour ago, DoomsDave said:

D. leptocheilos.

Dave I never figured you as a Polygamist :lol:

• Upvote 3

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

3 hours ago, Tropicgardener said:

Dave I never figured you as a Polygamist :lol:

Hah! palmygamist!...

5 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

D. leptocheilos.

Beautiful trees Dave!

• Upvote 2

I have around 30 Dypsis but most in pots...I like them all but love these two: Lepto and Carlsmithii, the carlsmithii is not in perfect shape but has opened a new nice spear and opening the second one since I got them from Ben ( palms for Brisbane ) ...still waiting for our landscaping to be finalised and I plant them in ground , till then I keep them watering ;) both get our full sun even above 40c pretty well so far even in bags...I just hope they get through our winter ...

image.thumb.jpeg.9c7b84415d43b472c2f9c4b

image.thumb.jpeg.cf07cd32347b7b7475c8d2f

image.thumb.jpeg.35071778488ab1f797a91b8

image.thumb.jpeg.916f01967ceba2f3ae54f00

• Upvote 9

Come forth Palmygamists!

Those Teddy Bears are just one Dypsis I love.

Wait till BS Man et al start to post . . . .

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, annafl said:

Dypsis lanceolata blooming for the first time ever!  Sorry for the dark pic.

Awesome! Someone on a different post suggested some of the hybridizing wizards should attempt to cross a decipiens with one of the more tropical species. Maybe the future of ornamental palms in the states will come in the form of new dypsis hybrids. How awesome would that be?

Some great Dypsis on here. Thanks for the pics everyone. Here are a few of mine:

onilahensis (droopy)

IMG_8700.thumb.JPG.ddeb76d8f425dc41a77aa

Onilahensis (upright)

IMG_8699.thumb.JPG.e051cb7c4d2a2ce60c29b

• Upvote 10

On 1/25/2017, 3:10:19, Mohsen said:

I have around 30 Dypsis but most in pots...I like them all but love these two: Lepto and Carlsmithii, the carlsmithii is not in perfect shape but has opened a new nice spear and opening the second one since I got them from Ben ( palms for Brisbane ) ...still waiting for our landscaping to be finalised and I plant them in ground , till then I keep them watering ;) both get our full sun even above 40c pretty well so far even in bags...I just hope they get through our winter ...

image.thumb.jpeg.9c7b84415d43b472c2f9c4b

image.thumb.jpeg.cf07cd32347b7b7475c8d2f

image.thumb.jpeg.35071778488ab1f797a91b8

image.thumb.jpeg.916f01967ceba2f3ae54f00

Lawdy Miss Clawdy, need to go visit Sydney . . .

• Upvote 2

Hmmmmm

maybe I should post a few pictures??

• Upvote 2

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

3 minutes ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Really??????

:yay:

ok I'll take some pictures today :)

• Upvote 3

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

16 hours ago, Pando said:

Looks like you cut down that tuckeri??

Yeah, it was forcing the teddy x triangle to lean (towards power lines!) so I cut it down with hopes the teddy x triangle will now straighten itself out. 

4 hours ago, Bill Austin said:

So great pic. indeed Mat that tribear is very nice . Dypsis where would one begin there are SO many anywhere I guess.IMG_1909.thumb.JPG.06beea6ddda2a7a84e639IMG_1780.thumb.JPG.e4bae24cf7b3941618da4

Amazing as always Bill!

• Upvote 2

On 1/25/2017, 6:57:06, DoomsDave said:

Those Teddy Bears are just one Dypsis I love.

Wait till BS Man et al start to post . . . .

I don't even need to start... ;)

• Upvote 2

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Oh Dypsis how doth I love thee?

I gaze st thee with fevered eye

Feel a twinge between my thighs 

Dypsis plumosa mother plant

IMG_1978.thumb.JPG.1134dc079cdb8eb275158IMG_1979.thumb.JPG.e896108bf3da2942157b3

• Upvote 7

On 1/27/2017, 12:47:46, BS Man about Palms said:

I don't even need to start... ;)

Please Mr Bill sir

Start!

Dypsis baronii - one of the more colourful and tropical looking palms we can grow well here in Melbourne.

20170104_123531_resized.jpg

• Upvote 8

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

Albofarinosa

IMG_1980.thumb.JPG.e6dded0c0a61246cc1676IMG_1995.thumb.JPG.128aadd94e3d8195ba510

• Upvote 4