IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A strange specimen in a theophrasti grove

Phoenikakias

There is a natural stand of a small Phoenix theophrasti population in Epidaurus, a small coastal village on the east coast of Peloponnese. Picture below, from a distance. Notice the more recently planted CIDP's? We have recognized to male specimens, which are going to be 'neutralized' with a night raid in the coming months. I we are to explain the risk of interbreed to (in)competent authorities, we fear that we will only waste precious time. 

IMG_20170101_151111.thumb.jpg.6270ac7f9b

• Upvote 5

There are several other scattered specimens in the wider area, most probably the relics of a bigger population. On this particular spot there are five specimens, two solitary plants (at least apparently) and three clumps. All plants look typical theophrasti but one clump. Below examples of typical theophrasti from this stand.

IMG_20170101_152549.thumb.jpg.9266357089IMG_20170101_173640.thumb.jpg.bfdc4d0d35

• Upvote 9

And a close up of leaf bases of the second plant above, typical thicky, vicious spines spaced closely together.

IMG_20170101_174328.thumb.jpg.10da4ee370

Edited by Phoenikakias
  • Upvote 6

But one particular clump looks quite different and all consisting stems bear same traits. Namely leaflets aree very long and loose, not at all pungent and spread more closely to asingle plane. Besides (and this is imo the most impressive difference) spines are long, thin and flexible, spaced in bigger distance from each other on an unusually longer pseudopetiole. Below some representing pictures.

IMG_20170101_175553.thumb.jpg.ce52c7d2b6IMG_20170101_174613.thumb.jpg.8276a8c11f

• Upvote 5

For those of us, who have come many times close to a typical theophrasti, this form can only produce a haeadache about its true identity. We can not undersstand with what else could be possible a hybridization, as CIDP's also do not have this kind of spines and most probably bloom a different season. Is there any possibility that we can send somewhere material for a genetic analysis? Btw I took down many fruits with the help of a a small basket fixed on a pole, and all fruits were unpollinated.

IMG_20170101_174535.thumb.jpg.81804d744bIMG_20170101_174214.thumb.jpg.111f0ef661IMG_20170101_173728.thumb.jpg.a3960aeadcIMG_20170101_173750.thumb.jpg.f09da2acbe

• Upvote 5

If I didn't know from your post, I'd have thought the last few pics where P.roebelenii. Great pics of theophrastii

Cheers, Barrie.

• Upvote 2

Nice theophrastiis :wub:

It's annoying the incompetence of the authorities in this kind of matters...

08053.gif

Epidaurus? That was a very famous place in antiquity right? The location of the sanctuary of Asklepios? I think there is the ruins of a famous theatre there as well.

• Upvote 1

PalmSavannaThumb.jpg

Spot on! Theater is higher up far from sea.

Another picture of the peculiar clump. So for the bad quality of the pictures. It was almost dark, when I shot them.

IMG_20170101_173442.thumb.jpg.5f830ffba3

Edited by Phoenikakias
  • Upvote 4

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure, pictures have been taken from a distance, but I am inclined ti say that those palms are CIDP's. Nice place though for a new theophrasti grove.