IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

And so it starts again...

Daryl

And so it ends again!

Well...best laid plans don't always work out, and due to other circumstances I have had to sell up and it's now time to move on again...let's see where I end up!  The garden will be exactly 4 years old this Christmas,

I'll add a few photos over the coming days which will be the finished project for me, and who knows how the garden will morph over the coming years. Hopefully the new owners will continue the theme and  not change it too much...but it's not really my place to tell them what to do LOL.

One of my coconuts and a Veitchia joannis in the late afternoon sun...

DSC_5816.thumb.jpg.16fdcfff9cac77d21f560a322b5e8723.jpg

A young Bizzie one day will make a bold statement in the street (I hope)

DSC_5757.thumb.jpg.e60c4a2b5533fcb26c47a2192bf345e3.jpg

Parajubaea torallyi and Beccariophoenix alfredii seem to be enjoying the growing conditions here, even if we have had a few dry years.

DSC_5786.thumb.jpg.6b616c061260adac48d9c6f831ae4c9f.jpg

Edited by Daryl
  • Like 3

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Wow that 4 years sure has gone quick. All the best with where you end up. Are you planning on digging and potting any of them?

Regards Neil

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Daryl said:

And so it ends again!

Well...best laid plans don't always work out, and due to other circumstances I have had to sell up and it's now time to move on again...let's see where I end up!  The garden will be exactly 4 years old this Christmas,

I'll add a few photos over the coming days which will be the finished project for me, and who knows how the garden will morph over the coming years. Hopefully the new owners will continue the theme and  not change it too much...but it's not really my place to tell them what to do LOL.

One of my coconuts and a Veitchia joannis in the late afternoon sun...

DSC_5816.thumb.jpg.16fdcfff9cac77d21f560a322b5e8723.jpg

A young Bizzie one day will make a bold statement in the street (I hope)

DSC_5757.thumb.jpg.e60c4a2b5533fcb26c47a2192bf345e3.jpg

Parajubaea torallyi and Beccariophoenix alfredii seem to be enjoying the growing conditions here, even if we have had a few dry years.

DSC_5786.thumb.jpg.6b616c061260adac48d9c6f831ae4c9f.jpg

All the best with your move Daryl. Are you heading further north? I’m sure you’ll start another awesome garden at your new place.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

22 hours ago, Tyrone said:

All the best with your move Daryl. Are you heading further north? I’m sure you’ll start another awesome garden at your new place.

I'm not sure yet Ty....I would love to move north but work is a factor. Plus I have my kids and friends here on the GC....however, real estate is crazy here and I think my chances of buying into this market by myself are pretty slim, unfortunately.

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

A few more photos...

DSC_5854.thumb.jpg.9146329e38b9ab452bfeba5ebfe8a2be.jpg

DSC_5743.thumb.jpg.e0b141257f7ca399665fdb8215e73879.jpg

DSC_5740.thumb.jpg.948c936b22660f000453d6427ddaf39b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dictyospermas

DSC_5870.thumb.jpg.c8f41f95cdfcba2a0c68b114cfc18d2e.jpg

DSC_5895.thumb.jpg.daf39dca6c6a617b68a46d4cd43c8dd4.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Daryl said:

I'm not sure yet Ty....I would love to move north but work is a factor. Plus I have my kids and friends here on the GC....however, real estate is crazy here and I think my chances of buying into this market by myself are pretty slim, unfortunately.

I hope you find something suitable that ticks all the boxes and gives you the ability to continue gardening the way you want.

Life can throw curve balls at us at times. 

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

• 2 months later...
On 10/18/2020 at 1:16 PM, Neil C said:

Wow that 4 years sure has gone quick. All the best with where you end up. Are you planning on digging and potting any of them?

Regards Neil

Hi Neil, I took  a couple of cherished ones but had to leave most behind...just no room in my small duplex....so only small potted plants for the time being. The 215 had to stay behind unfortunately...that was hard!

• Like 1

Hi Ty, well, who knows what the future holds for me eh! It is all good though.

• Upvote 1

Last few photos before I close off on this topic...and start on my next journey! :D

Satakentia...very underrated species IMO

DSC_0045.thumb.jpg.0d3b7186d5d16a46ae9a5128465f7c9d.jpg  

Ptychosperma lauterbachii - 16 months in the ground from an 8"pot...ripper of a palm

DSC_0064.thumb.jpg.639c5bb9d5102d1073608a2f8c4a94e8.jpg

Edited by Daryl
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Good luck to you Daryl. Hard to leave a garden behind, but possibly there are more important opportunities awaiting you ahead. Happy New Year!

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

What an awesome yard and collection.  Thanks for sharing. To leave that behind, definitely I feel for you.

Parajubaea torallyi doing well, and Beccariophoenix alfredii

DSC_0070.thumb.jpg.fd69c76f8bd0b61d6d0bdff294e1213d.jpg

Thanks everyone for your comments. I will sign off on this topic now!

DSC_1039.thumb.jpg.f449c867b3e929f43a2798b7ae11dd88.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1