IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Young Coconut palm fertilizer

jayb

Any educated opinions on weather this fertilizer is sufficient for my potted green Malayan dwarf? The soil around root ball is peat base I think ( bought from nursery) repotted with organic palm and cactus mix. Only fertilizer I could find locally that had boron listed. I'm also curious to know if it too early to fertilize while the nut is still attached. I don't know the age of the sprout but it's just under 4' tall with a 1" trunk and no split fronds yet. It's very healthy and growing like a weed. Unfortunately it's currently in low light ( bright shade with an hour or two partial direct sun) until spring.

IMG_0226.JPG

IMG_0227.PNG

IMG_0216.JPG

For the first year or so the palm will get its nutrition from the coconut. 

Imho, the most important thing to get right is the potting mix.  Sand, and lots of it, is your friend.  Make that pot as well draining as possible. 

Naturally, during warmer months, this well draining soil will require much more watering.  But it will be worth it.

Random advice from mistakes I have made.  Do NOT get water in the crown.  Do NOT add compost or composted mulch to the pot.  Be cautious with sun exposure during your summers until this palm gets much older.  If the temp is over 60 during the winter, set it outside.  It will appreciate it. 

Suggest you look into Palm Gain fertilizer for your needs down the road. You can find it online.  I just started using it last summer.  Very pleased with the results so far.

Good luck! And keep posting. 

...p.s. expect some brown tipping in the leaves.  The plant probably came out of a perfect greenhouse environment. There will be some transition.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the tips

as for the brown tips any way I can reasonably prevent it when bringing it outside in spring. It's been inside since I got it in early November. My relative humidity is consistent 50-70% due to a humidifier for my Nepenthes (tropical pitcher plants). My sunlight options will be either bright full shade or all day full sun ( worried about scorching in Phoenix area sun)

11 minutes ago, jayb said:

Thanks for the tips

as for the brown tips any way I can reasonably prevent it when bringing it outside in spring. It's been inside since I got it in early November. My relative humidity is consistent 50-70% due to a humidifier for my Nepenthes (tropical pitcher plants). My sunlight options will be either bright full shade or all day full sun ( worried about scorching in Phoenix area sun)

I recommend good draining soil and keep it moist. Sand, as Hammer mentioned, is your friend.

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Humidity and water will limit the brown tips.  But expect it anyway. No palm looks that perfect forever.

For the Phoenix area, I would go the shade route.  I have had young Cocos here in SoCal in full summer sun when that young. They started to burn...and I am only 6 miles from the coast. 

One option to consider is putting it in sun and building a tent with 50% shade cloth.  My brother did that with a B. Alfredii and it worked like a charm. He lives in Phoenix too.  But if other palm folks from Phoenix think otherwise of the shade cloth idea, follow their advice.

• Upvote 1