IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal id meant to be uresana

coops 3214

Hi guys im just after an id i brought it as a uresana but ive only ever seen blue ones and mines very green as you can see thaks in advance, 

Screenshot_2017-01-21-14-24-18.png

Screenshot_2017-01-21-14-24-04.png

• Upvote 2

It's pretty tough to tell some of them apart at that size (it's obviously been growing in shade), but I don't see anything that would rule it out.  It's definitely a Sabal, and probably a S. uresana, as that's the only silver Sabal.  Some have a bluish hue, but that's the only one with a silver hue.  But, there seems to be a good degree of variability within the species, and some just end up greener.  I have a little silver one in a 5 gallon, and it's definitely silver, but that's the only experience that I have of my own.

Yeah i have a small 1 and its very blue,  it is very stretched prob grown in shade but ive now had it in the ground for 18 months and its still putting out the same sized leaves and its now in full sun, 

There are photos of large Sabal uresana that appear quite green so providing that these are correctly id it seems that uresana is probably the correct id. Its going to be fantastic whatever colour it ends up. Possibly better if its green if you have a silver seedling as well. My RPS uresana seedlings look as if they are going to be reasonably silver.

On palmpedia there are some green uresana.

Good that you got it in the ground. The bag that it was in looks small and restrictive to those roots. It will grow quicker now.

There are green forms of Sabal uresana. I collected seed of a green specimen at the U of AZ campus in Tucson and have a couple green offspring growing at Leu Gardens.

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a