IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Some Pics from Jax

Tag

The First Caost Palm Society maintians a palm garden at the FCCJ South campus.  Here are a few pictures from last weekend.  

Acoelorrhaphe wrightii and Sabal mauritiiformis

post-84-1178299403_thumb.jpg

Tag,

Thanks for the pictures. I was wondering, is that cold damage on the Acrocomia palm? If so, from this past winter, and what is the range north for growing this palm? The mules looked really nice!

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Tag,

Was surprised to see the Sabal mauritiiformis. Didn't know they could survive that far north. Does it ever show winter damage and what is the lowest temps it has seen.

Roger

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

USDA Zone 10A/10B Subtropical

26.7 degrees N. latitude

10 miles West of West Palm Beach and the ocean

Avg. yearly rainfall 58 inches

:cool:

Hi,

Thanks for sharing this pics, i like the Mule palm the most of all :)

Robbin

Southwest

(Jeff Searle @ May 04 2007,13:32)

Tag,

Thanks for the pictures. I was wondering, is that cold damage on the Acrocomia palm? If so, from this past winter, and what is the range north for growing this palm? The mules looked really nice!

Jeff

Jeff,

I beleive it's cold damage.  The picture is not very good, taken from my camera phone.  The upper leaves are all green, it's only the lower leaves that appear to be fried.  This is an aculeata which is larger and supposed to be less cold hardy than a totai.  They are supposed to be very marginal here and are even suppose to be marginal in warmer parts of Central Florida.  Most sites rate them as 10A or warm 9B.

Also, this is a large palm, I'd say 25 - 30 feet of trunk.  So it must have seen some pretty cold temps and still survived.  

Jason

(ZoneTenNut @ May 04 2007,13:55)

Tag,

Was surprised to see the Sabal mauritiiformis. Didn't know they could survive that far north. Does it ever show winter damage and what is the lowest temps it has seen.

Roger

Zone 10,

Definitely no damage from this past winter.  The garden is a few miles south of my house.  The absolute low at my house last winter was 28.  This palm is up against a south facing wall and there's a large pond a couple hundred feet away, so i'm sure that the temp was warmer for it.  It got down to 26 at my house the two years prior and 23 the year before that.  This palm has definitely seen the low to mid-twenties.

Jason

Tag, those are some great pics...i'm surprised at the huge variety that can grow there...love that  Sabal mauritiiformis,  and the Mules, too

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

The First Coast Palm Society initiated this palm garden even before it selected its own name (for a while it was going to be the Charlie Raulerson Chapter of the Palm Society.).  It is an unusual example of public service by the members.  Some institutions can't leave something like this alone, but FCCJ has NOT disrupted it the way many schools would have.

A Sabal mauritiiformis survived freezes for quite a few years at the UF Campus between very tightly spaced 3-story columns around Little Hall.  Its prospects are better at FCCJ.

- merrill

• Upvote 1

merrill, North Central Florida

I had no idea a King Palm could do so well up here.

Jacksonville, FL

Zone 9a

First Officer

Air Wisconsin Airlines (USairways Express)

Canadair Regional Jet

Base: ORF

(Logolight @ May 04 2007,16:35)

Logo,

I have two Kings and know of several others in the area that have them too.  They usually take a little damage each year, but grow right out of it.  One of mine recently developed some type of fungus or bud rot, probably due to stress from the cold.  The speer pulled, so I have cut the crown down until I could find green and drenched it with fungicide and then peroxide.  It is a sad site, but the speer is still growing, so I hope it will be ok.  The other is doing fine.

Jason

(Rusty on Pine Is. @ May 04 2007,15:14)

Tag, those are some great pics...i'm surprised at the huge variety that can grow there...love that  Sabal mauritiiformis,  and the Mules, too

Rusty,

Come on up to Jax for Palmfest the weekend of Oct. 5th and we'll show you a lot more.  We have a small group of enthusiasts that do a real good job of pushing the zones.  

Jason

(merrill @ May 04 2007,16:26)

The First Coast Palm Society initiated this palm garden even before it selected its own name (for a while it was going to be the Charlie Raulerson Chapter of the Palm Society.).  It is an unusual example of public service by the members.  Some institutions can't leave something like this alone, but FCCJ has NOT disrupted it the way many schools would have.

A Sabal mauritiiformis survived freezes for quite a few years at the UF Campus between very tightly spaced 3-story columns around Little Hall.  Its prospects are better at FCCJ.

- merrill

Merrill,

Were there any other palms attempted there that didn't survive? Just curious as I was really surprised the Sabal Mauritiformis can be grown there.

Roger

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

The Acrocomia was damaged by fire.  Someone flicked a cig butt into a clump of Serenoa repens & poof!  The Acrocomia just happened to be in the line of fire...pun intended.  Many of the thorns burned off.  Such is life in the newest desert of the USA.  (It quit raining here some time ago....).

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

Dear Tag  :)

that sabal & washy were my favouriates.and initially i thought

your son was a grown-up man who is standing in from of a

very huge washy filifers...and i was stunned that are they

growing there bigger than Tail pot palms ?

thanks for those stills of the beautiful palms & that lovely kid of yours.

Love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

QUESTION:

Merrill,

Were there any other palms attempted there that didn't survive? Just curious as I was really surprised the Sabal Mauritiformis can be grown there. .

Roger  END OF QUESTION.

Hi, Roger:

I've been thinking about your question.  Don't remember any deaths from low temperatures at either garden until recent excessively tender plantings at UF.  merrill

• Upvote 1

(Tag @ May 04 2007,17:45)

Logo,

I have two Kings and know of several others in the area that have them too.  They usually take a little damage each year, but grow right out of it.  One of mine recently developed some type of fungus or bud rot, probably due to stress from the cold.  The speer pulled, so I have cut the crown down until I could find green and drenched it with fungicide and then peroxide.  It is a sad site, but the speer is still growing, so I hope it will be ok.  The other is doing fine.

Jason

Jason,

I sure wouldn't mind checking out your Kings some day.

Jacksonville, FL

Zone 9a

First Officer

Air Wisconsin Airlines (USairways Express)

Canadair Regional Jet

Base: ORF

Matt had a spectacular King palm about 25 feet tall on that lake-like expansion of the St. John's River south of Jax.  This palm was killed by a freeze.  He is trying again.

• Upvote 1

(Keith in SoJax @ May 04 2007,22:19)

The Acrocomia was damaged by fire.  Someone flicked a cig butt into a clump of Serenoa repens & poof!  The Acrocomia just happened to be in the line of fire...pun intended.  Many of the thorns burned off.  Such is life in the newest desert of the USA.  (It quit raining here some time ago....).

Keith,

Thanks for the clarification.  I was at Matt's this weekend and he let me know that the damage was from fire and not from cold.  I saw the remains of the Serenoa, but didn't notice any trunk damage on the Acrocomia, so I was not sure.  Matt also let me know that he set fire to his in order to remove the spines and his looks great.  They must be extremely fire resistant.

Jason

(Logolight @ May 05 2007,21:17)

(Tag @ May 04 2007,17:45)

Logo,

Jason

Jason,

I sure wouldn't mind checking out your Kings some day.

Logo,

PM me and we can set something up.

Jason

Jason,

Is this going to be a Palmfest stop?

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

(Tag @ May 08 2007,12:09)

I forgot to post this picture of a Triangle last time.

Jason,

What is the palm to the left of the Triangle? I like the look of that trunk.

Roger

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

(Ray, Tampa @ May 08 2007,12:52)

Jason,

Is this going to be a Palmfest stop?

Ray

Ray,

I don't know if it's set in stone, but there is discussion about visiting this garden.

Jason

(ZoneTenNut @ May 08 2007,19:09)

(Tag @ May 08 2007,12:09)

I forgot to post this picture of a Triangle last time.

Jason,

What is the palm to the left of the Triangle? I like the look of that trunk.

Roger

Roger.

It's definitely a Livistona.  I beleive it's an L. australis.

Jason

Hi, Jason:

That Livistona has grown so fast, I'll put my money on L. decipiens, aka L. decora.  OK, Ed, Kyle, Matt, George, what is it?  - merrill

• Upvote 1