IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The rain on the Cali plains is easing the pain

DoomsDave

i think the California drought is in abeyance for now anyway.

Here's pics of my rain barrel with about 34 CM 13" of rain in it.

Shoe for scale 12.5" or 32 CM long.

IMG_1955.thumb.JPG.8d442d70cdc37e135f0e1

• Upvote 5

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

If I leave a Brute can sitting out a day or two around here at the minute, I can no longer lift it...

Drought over, up here anyway!

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Yup.. getting lots here.. I would bet 8-9" already since new year or Starting Dec.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Roaring off to the Dark Tower

In the rain!

• Upvote 1

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Wonderful news!  Rain in CA fills refrigerators everywhere.  I hope there is enough to replenish some of the groundwater reserves too.  

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

Only if we get enough in the snow pack here.  Last storm was too warm and washed snow off slopes, but, yes, I am taking full showers now, but, still watching the flush.  What.. we do for our plants?  Glad its only plants now, and not daughter.  Cecile

NorCal is officially out of drought.  SoCal still has a ways to go.  My yard is ridiculously soaked though - getting out to dump some more Banrot around today during a break in the storms.

On 1/19/2017, 9:41:25, BS Man about Palms said:

Yup.. getting lots here.. I would bet 8-9" already since new year or Starting Dec.

I think we got this much one weekend!

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Haven't needed to run any irrigation since last year.  It feels weird just saying that. I measured 3.75 inches since Saturday afternoon.  Thankfully the hail didn't do any noticable damage and hopefully our drought eases. I'll probably still have my coco covered until this weekend though. 

Worth noting that consensus forecasts for this winter made by NOAA, made in late October of last year, were quite - how do you say it? - wrong. ("Drought will likely persist through the winter in many regions currently experiencing drought, including much of California and the Southwest").

Watching the crowd who prophesied a centuries-long drought, end of times for mesic ecosystems in the state, etc. now twisting themselves in knots to avoid having to accept that their prognostications have been shown to be about as good as those generated by a spastic monkey throwing darts at at "Wet/Dry" board or a "weatherman".

I particularly like how the drought "ends" when, as if we are some primitive pagan cult, our lords the politicians in Sacramento decree it so from on high. 

So much for the reliability of politically-influenced short-term climate models. Perhaps the smart crowd should stick to handicapping elections?

Oh, s**t. They suck at that, too.

• Upvote 4

"Might rain a lot, or maybe not. I'd say 50/50 chance of either outcome. Unless, of course, it rains very little. Or not at all."

These people so need mulligans.

Your tax dollars at work.

3 hours ago, stone jaguar said:

Worth noting that consensus forecasts for this winter made by NOAA, made in late October of last year, were quite - how do you say it? - wrong. ("Drought will likely persist through the winter in many regions currently experiencing drought, including much of California and the Southwest").

Watching the crowd who prophesied a centuries-long drought, end of times for mesic ecosystems in the state, etc. now twisting themselves in knots to avoid having to accept that their prognostications have been shown to be about as good as those generated by a spastic monkey throwing darts at at "Wet/Dry" board or a "weatherman".

I particularly like how the drought "ends" when, as if we are some primitive pagan cult, our lords the politicians in Sacramento decree it so from on high. 

So much for the reliability of politically-influenced short-term climate models. Perhaps the smart crowd should stick to handicapping elections?

Oh, s**t. They suck at that, too.

Well said!

• Upvote 1

I live at the foot of the Sierra Nevada and every morning I get to see the snow covered sierra on my way to work. The highway I take has an elevated ramp so I get a clear line of sight with no obstructions. It's a welcome sight after all these years with no snow pack!

Hmm.

Nice to know the doomsayers about drought were wrong. This time.

Seems okay to me. Better to have the colon cancer scare, than the colostomy from actual cancer.

• Upvote 1

Dave, I completely agree. Perhaps we could have a calm, informed discussion about rationalizing the use of what is often a scarce, mispriced commodity in this state between its gilded masters and the users. Unfortunately, not gonna happen. Hysteria and fear-mongering are just such tempting tools for "them" to use against "us".

J

• Upvote 1

The national media make it sound like California has been overwhelmed with flooding and mudslides. Glad to hear a positive perspective for a change. 

Sure gave our rulers a "good" reason to raise our water rates... 

But it was nice to get  the rainwater, and supplement our reservoirs.  I saved a bunch.  I haven't needed to run my irrigation in months.

• Upvote 1

No, it was hysteria and fear-mongering for a vocal body of climatologists, politicians and their media fanboys/girls to predict that we were just getting warmed up. The notion that this is a discipline that - today - has the long term predictive precision of, say, tidal cycles and lunal eclipse charts is just nonsense. And if it really is so and this current season is just a brief "weather anomaly", the state should subordinate all other infrastructure spending to that of efficient water capture, storage and distribution, starting yesterday. There would also be mandated xeriscaping and heavy restrictions placed on outdoor water use by Joe and Joanne Sixpack in subhumid parts of the state.

*crickets*

Crying wolf inevitably results in unintended consequences. It may be clearer now to objective audiences that no-one knows what tomorrow will bring. Realistic pricing for large scale users to reflect current conditions and the need for reasonable water conservation in general in CA should not be polemic at all, and hopefully doesn't require predictions of fire and brimstone raining down on all of us made by Voodoo scientists to find a large following.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stone jaguar said:

No, it was hysteria and fear-mongering for a vocal body of climatologists, politicians and their media fanboys/girls to predict that we were just getting warmed up. The notion that this is a discipline that - today - has the long term predictive precision of, say, tidal cycles and lunal eclipse charts is just nonsense. And if it really is so and this current season is just a brief "weather anomaly", the state should subordinate all other infrastructure spending to that of efficient water capture, storage and distribution, starting yesterday. There would also be mandated xeriscaping and heavy restrictions placed on outdoor water use by Joe and Joanne Sixpack in subhumid parts of the state.

*crickets*

Crying wolf inevitably results in unintended consequences. It may be clearer now to objective audiences that no-one knows what tomorrow will bring. Realistic pricing for large scale users to reflect current conditions and the need for reasonable water conservation in general in CA should not be polemic at all, and hopefully doesn't require predictions of fire and brimstone raining down on all of us made by Voodoo scientists to find a large following.

Get ready. "Them" are setting "us" up again.  This time with natural gas.  Usage alerts and shortages in SoCal?!  Call me crazy but it just sounds like a set up to raise rates.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Hammer said:

Get ready. "Them" are setting "us" up again.  This time with natural gas.  Usage alerts and shortages in SoCal?!  Call me crazy but it just sounds like a set up to raise rates.

No shortage of natural gas at my place right now . . .

• Upvote 1

It's funny how the lack of snow in mountain 100 miles from my city makes us in a drought or not. 

Here is current snow pack totals.

200 percent of normal and we still have three rainy month left.

IMG_5955.PNG

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

10 hours ago, stone jaguar said:

*crickets*

The Guru has spoken. Now, if only our politicians displayed this kind of rationale. Ah, but then the "bubble-headed bleach blonde" (thanks to Don Henley) would be out of a job.

14 hours ago, stone jaguar said:

Alas, a few realities might have to be faced. If it turns out that we're coming off a "wet" period as some have suggested, this year might be a nice bit of relief from worse to come.

We won't really know, except in hindsight, perhaps decades-long hindsight.

So should we combat waste? Of course! Out and shame the water hogs of Bel Air! http://www.latimes.com/opinion/readersreact/la-le-1010-lopez-water-hog-20151009-story.html

But, I'll need to be prepared to face the prospect of my Archie Orgy GroveTM being chainsawed, either by me or others, if things get too bad in the future.

For now, I'll enjoy while I can, "sieze the day" in the words of that long-dead Roman guy.

And keep my eyes open for the future.

• Upvote 1

Look, I'm not a part-time capitalist. I think that big residential/recreational water users in California should be able to freely access the water they want or need within reason, but should be willing to pay a price that genuinely reflects current scarcity or abundance and - if "fair" - that price should regulate demand, even by scofflaws or profligate users in centimillionaire/billionaire enclaves. People should be able to choose whether they want a golf course, pool, tropical paradise or pure hardscape, bare-bones xeriscape and/or just raked gravel, but should also be aware that some of these choices will cost a lot more than the others (perhaps) forever on.

Note this morning that the Cadiz Water Pipeline and Huntington Beach Desalination Plant are on the incoming administration's first public draft of top 50 infrastructure projects under "Emergency and National Security Projects".

Seems Sacramento has a few other ideas about where to spend on infrastructure. Hopefully many common sense state water projects will emerge from a productive dialogue between "somewhat" different worldviews.

J

• Upvote 1