IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm Sightings in San Francisco

Jdiaz31089

I drove into the city earlier this week and of course had to spend a couple of hours nerding out at the botanical garden. I thought I'd share some pictures with you all!

First up! The CEROXYLON! There were so many of them. I counted at least 20 scattered throughout the Meso-American and Cloudforest collections. 

C. vogelianum

20170117_180525_zpsjhxuaqvx.thumb.JPG.08

C. quindiuense

20170117_180225_zpskngncps2.thumb.JPG.4c20170117_180405_zpskv3uw9hs.thumb.JPG.db

C. interruptum

20170117_180603_zpsz1bhrhtx.thumb.JPG.cc

And these three that I forgot to write down the name of. The tag is too small for me to zoom in and check the name also. Any guesses on what they may be? They looked to be all the same species. 

20170117_180135_zpsfrazn7i5.thumb.JPG.fb

20170117_180058_zpsaze1l5ai.JPG

Edited by Jdiaz31089
  • Upvote 20

Amazing! :greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb:

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Next up, the Parajubaea. They had all three: Sunkha, cocoides and torallyi, as well as varieties of these.

I can't remember which one this is, but I believe this may be Sukha.

20170117_180058_zpsaze1l5ai.thumb.JPG.3c

Or maybe this one is Sunkha...:indifferent:

20170117_180307_zpslprxki1x.thumb.JPG.b0

• Upvote 7

And the last grouping is a mix of other cool palms:

Brahea calcarea

20170117_175948_zpsoxqbzjgr.thumb.JPG.0a

Chamaedorea woodsononiana

20170117_180028_zps1dakei2e.thumb.JPG.fd

And TWO huge oraniopsis appendiculata 

20170117_180648_zpscixbruds.thumb.JPG.ae

20170117_180750_zpsvrd0vmej.thumb.JPG.90

• Upvote 15

Josue, I am home this afternoon and tomorrow as well.  PM me for contact info if you would like to visit !

• Upvote 3

San Francisco, California

7 hours ago, Jdiaz31089 said:

Up next - Rhopalostylis - both bauerii and sapida. 

20170117_181051_zpsig2y66o5.thumb.JPG.aa

20170117_180931_zpskmejqwow.thumb.JPG.3f

20170117_180718_zps8anhxeac.thumb.JPG.3f

They look so much better than the Melbourne Botanical Gardens Rhopies... I think the gardens just dont water enough

RBG Melbourne has a strict quota of water usage that they have to comply to.

Those are very nice Ceroxylon. Great botanic gardens. Oraniopsis are nice for cultivated plants as well.

• Upvote 1

On 1/19/2017, 11:09:33, Jdiaz31089 said:

I drove into the city earlier this week and of course had to spend a couple of hours nerding out at the botanical garden. I thought I'd share some pictures with you all!

First up! The CEROXYLON! There were so many of them. I counted at least 20 scattered throughout the Meso-American and Cloudforest collections. 

C. vogelianum

20170117_180525_zpsjhxuaqvx.thumb.JPG.08

C. quindiuense

20170117_180225_zpskngncps2.thumb.JPG.4c20170117_180405_zpskv3uw9hs.thumb.JPG.db

C. interruptum

And these three that I forgot to write down the name of. The tag is too small for me to zoom in and check the name also. Any guesses on what they may be? They looked to be all the same species. 

The three below are officially Ceroxylon alpinum, although I suspect there may be one that is different.

20170117_180058_zpsaze1l5ai.JPG

• Upvote 1

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C

55 minutes ago, Josh76 said:

Great pics @Jdiaz31089. Is this the botanic garden in Golden Gate Park?

Yes, it's just inside Golden Gate Park off 9th Avenue and Lincoln Way. It's near the Japanese Tea Garden, the California Academy of Sciences, and the de Young Museum.

• Upvote 2

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

On 1/19/2017, 11:47:52, Jdiaz31089 said:

And the last grouping is a mix of other cool palms:

Brahea calcarea

20170117_175948_zpsoxqbzjgr.thumb.JPG.0a

Chamaedorea woodsononiana

20170117_180028_zps1dakei2e.thumb.JPG.fd

And TWO huge oraniopsis appendiculata 

20170117_180648_zpscixbruds.thumb.JPG.ae

20170117_180750_zpsvrd0vmej.thumb.JPG.90

Several of the plants you photographed (great pictures, by the way!) are my babies from when I used to volunteer in the nursery there and sprouted many palm seeds, for example the Brahea calcarea, and many of the young ceroxylons and Rhopalostylis. The Oraniopsis I sprouted at home, and they had a peculiar staggered germination, with two or three coming up each year for three years. I donated three to the San Francisco Botanical Garden and three to the UC Santa Cruz Arboretum.

The Chamaedorea woodsoniana came from the Conservatory of Flowers when they were rebuilding it and needed to move the collection out of the glasshouse. Darold Petty and I helped them select the plants that were better planted outside in the Botanical Garden, including the C. woodsoniana and two now-spectacular clumps of Chamaedorea costaricana.

• Upvote 7

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

Daniel / SirOxylon,

Not only does Golden Gate Park have generous access to water from an extensive aquifer beneath it, the climate is also very cool and humid, with very few days of low humidity or heat above 25 c. The stats in my signature are nearly the same, as I live not more than a kilometer from the entrance. The Garden experiences more winter cold than my house because of local topography and reduced urban heat island effect.

The Garden's high-altitude palms are now registered as an exemplary collection with the Plant Collections Network of the American Public Gardens Association. Nearly all known taxa of Trachycarpus, Parajubaea, and most of Ceroxylon are in the garden or its nursery.

• Upvote 8

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

4 hours ago, Josh76 said:

Great pics @Jdiaz31089. Is this the botanic garden in Golden Gate Park?

yes! Jason knows the place well. 

@JasonD wow that's amazing! I bet those collections have a special place in your heart seeing as to how you grew so many yourself. I few years ago I donated a fernaldia pandurata to the botanical garden, but i lost touch with the curator and don't know if the plant survived.

• Upvote 1

Its a great thing to have plentiful water. Putting it to good use. Great to hear that the gardens have got the recognition that they deserve by the Gardens Association and must be nice to know that you have helped to get such status.

San Francisco is such a climatically interesting place. I had a discussion not long back here that was suggesting that some suburbs of San Francisco (Los Altos area I think) have a very similar climate to where I am in Melbourne Australia, however, 25-26 C is our average daily high in the summer months so completely different to Golden Gate if it only gets above 25 occasionally.

• Upvote 3

On 20/01/2017, 8:12:47, SirOxylon said:

RBG Melbourne has a strict quota of water usage that they have to comply to.

Those are very nice Ceroxylon. Great botanic gardens. Oraniopsis are nice for cultivated plants as well.

I get that.. Totally do.. Just wish it would rain more than or they could lift water restrictions for certain parts like the Australian Rainforest walk

On 1/21/2017, 5:43:55, JasonD said:

Yes, it's just inside Golden Gate Park off 9th Avenue and Lincoln Way. It's near the Japanese Tea Garden, the California Academy of Sciences, and the de Young Museum.

Thanks @JasonD. I thought that was the case but when I visited years ago I think it called itself the Strybing Arboretum hence the confusion. Is there much more palmy/exotic planting in other parts of the park? I'll be in town for a couple of days in April and want to maximise what I can see.

Dont forget to visit Darold Petty if you want an unforgettable palm experience !

• Upvote 1

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

On 1/20/2017, 8:09:33, Jdiaz31089 said:

C. interruptum

interruptum is a synonym for ceriferum.  One of the regular leaved species.   Really slow growers for me but there are some very nice examples here.  Thanks for the pics. I went on Darold's tour 10 years ago, if you can make it you are in for a real treat!  cheers Richard

Great pictures!

Visit Darold Petty

Visit Darold Petty

His garden is small but sensational!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 1/22/2017, 12:15:48, Josh76 said:

Thanks @JasonD. I thought that was the case but when I visited years ago I think it called itself the Strybing Arboretum hence the confusion. Is there much more palmy/exotic planting in other parts of the park? I'll be in town for a couple of days in April and want to maximise what I can see.

The tall Ceroxylon quindiuense planted in 1984 are worth the visit alone, but so is the grove of nikau palms, and it's fun to see the young palms scattered about. The Garden, formerly called Strybing Arboretum as you note, has exceptional New Zealand, South African, Mesoamerican, East Asian, California-native, and Australian collections. Magnolias, conifers, and camellias are very strong botanical collections.

And, yes, you *must* see Darold Petty's exquisite palm collection: some of the rarest plants you'll see anywhere, in a meticulously maintained small urban plot.

• Upvote 2

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

5 hours ago, richnorm said:

interruptum is a synonym for ceriferum.  One of the regular leaved species.   Really slow growers for me but there are some very nice examples here.  Thanks for the pics. I went on Darold's tour 10 years ago, if you can make it you are in for a real treat!  cheers Richard

Yeah, the mislabeling irks me. I will revisit with the registrar.

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

On 1/21/2017, 12:59:31, Jdiaz31089 said:

yes! Jason knows the place well. 

@JasonD wow that's amazing! I bet those collections have a special place in your heart seeing as to how you grew so many yourself. I few years ago I donated a fernaldia pandurata to the botanical garden, but i lost touch with the curator and don't know if the plant survived.

I learned more about this plant on GardenWeb (from you, father of 60 seedlings in Fresno?). Turns out I've eaten it not infrequently in pupusas. It was always touted as a squash blossom, but I was surprised to find it's a member of the dogbane family, whose members are so often poisonous. I'd love to see it planted out in the Mesoamerican Cloud Forest at SFBG in the spring if it's still on hand in the nursery.

Oh, and I do hover over the seedlings I'm responsible for like an anxious parent, taking every misplanting, mispruning, and frost event personally.

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

@Josh76 Besides the SF Botanical Garden, you might enjoy the palm plantings in front of the two rebuilt museums, the de Young and the California Academy of Sciences. You'll see beautiful Canary Island date palms and two old jubaeas in front of the de Young and a significant planting of kentias--Howea forsteriana--in front of the Academy of Sciences. Around Stow Lake, near the SFBG, are a few palms, and there are a few palms scattered elsewhere across the park's 412 hectares.

Besides Darold's house, you might look at the plantings at Project Artaud in the Mission District: at least a dozen species publicly visible, with a spectacular jubaea, Parajubaea cocoides, and very nice Guadalupe palms.

Dolores Street is the avenue with the best planting of palms by far. It would be a mesmerizing taxi ride. Dolores Park., five blocks from the northern end of Dolores St., has groves of palms, including four new, large jubaeas.

San Francisco needs more palms, and more palms of the varieties that truly thrive here, like Brahea edulis, Parajubaea, Jubaea, Butia, Ceroxylon, and Rhopalostylis.

• Upvote 2

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

4 hours ago, JasonD said:

I learned more about this plant on GardenWeb (from you, father of 60 seedlings in Fresno?). Turns out I've eaten it not infrequently in pupusas. It was always touted as a squash blossom, but I was surprised to find it's a member of the dogbane family, whose members are so often poisonous. I'd love to see it planted out in the Mesoamerican Cloud Forest at SFBG in the spring if it's still on hand in the nursery.

Oh, and I do hover over the seedlings I'm responsible for like an anxious parent, taking every misplanting, mispruning, and frost event personally.

haha yes! that was me. I gave most of them away to friends. I have one large vine at my place here in Fresno but it's never bloomed for me. It has to be nearing 20 feet and it grows aggressively, just never blooms. The one I donated to the SFBG is this one below - the container in the back with the three seedlings. I found it in an old email to Don Mahoney at the garden. 

IMG_20131215_125427_478.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

I was in San Francisco this weekend and thought I'd share some pictures, mainly from the Osher Rainforest inside the California Academy of Sciences. While IDs for most of the animals are posted by staff, I'd like to see them make more of an effort to identify the plants (by genus & species) and not just by their ecological functions (fruit for animals, etc.). I won't hazard a guess on the genera of the tropical palms images.

The pictures below include some young Jubeas planted on the east side of Dolores Park and Howeas that front the Academy's main entrance. I was surprised to see tall, mature Archontophoenix installed in long rows along the sidewalk of a city street (not pictured 'cuz I couldn't find a parking place!); they looked healthy, despite the City's cool, foggy, windy conditions. In the last decade or so the City has made extensive use of mature CIDPs. 

BTW, that's Claude, the albino alligator (and the Academy's mascot).

TropPalm3.jpg

Aloe.jpg

birds.jpg

butterfly.jpg

Gator.jpg

Howea.jpg

Jubea.jpg

snake.jpg

StarfishRay.jpg

TropPalm1.jpg

TropPalm2.jpg

• Upvote 8

3 hours ago, Missi said:

What's the palm in the second-from-bottom pic?

Missi: I wasn't able to identify that palm. The last two pictures in the series show it from two different points of view.  I think I've seen a similar, but younger, palm in pictures from a California and a Florida garden on this forum. I'll leave it to more experienced growers in tropical climes to hazard a guess as to its identity. :unsure:

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Hillizard said:

Missi: I wasn't able to identify that palm. The last two pictures in the series show it from two different points of view.  I think I've seen a similar, but younger, palm in pictures from a California and a Florida garden on this forum. I'll leave it to more experienced growers in tropical climes to hazard a guess as to its identity. :unsure:

It's just so awesome in its gigantic-ness! I'm gonna step far, far out on a limb and wonder if it's a Sabal mauritiiformis? What do you think?

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

1 hour ago, Missi said:

It's just so awesome in its gigantic-ness! I'm gonna step far, far out on a limb and wonder if it's a Sabal mauritiiformis? What do you think?

Missi: I think you might be right! I've compared it to other pictures online of S. mauritiiformis and that looks like a definite possibility, in terms of its identity. My own plant of that species is still very small and each leaf has whitish undersides, so it looks nothing like that monster at the Academy.

Or it might be a species of Mauritia ....   :bemused:

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Hillizard said:

Missi: I think you might be right! I've compared it to other pictures online of S. mauritiiformis and that looks like a definite possibility, in terms of its identity. My own plant of that species is still very small and each leaf has whitish undersides, so it looks nothing like that monster at the Academy.  :bemused:

My own S. mauritii is quite small as well. It has been years since I've seen larger ones in person, and never from above as is the perspective is your awesome photo. It's almost prehistoric-looking, isn't it?! I knew I fell hard in love with it for some reason! :drool:

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Missi said:

My own S. mauritii is quite small as well. It has been years since I've seen larger ones in person, and never from above as is the perspective is your awesome photo. It's almost prehistoric-looking, isn't it?! I knew I fell hard in love with it for some reason! :drool:

And check out this alternative possibility as its genus and species: http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Mauritia_flexuosa 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Hillizard said:

And check out this alternative possibility as its genus and species: http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Mauritia_flexuosa 

You know, I saw one of those in a post someone made of a photos of an in-habitat one. Thought that could be a possibility as well. I wonder if that place has a list of its plants online somewhere...

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2017‎ ‎11‎:‎43‎:‎54‎, Jdiaz31089 said:

Up next - Rhopalostylis - both bauerii and sapida. 

20170117_181051_zpsig2y66o5.thumb.JPG.aa

20170117_180931_zpskmejqwow.thumb.JPG.3f

20170117_180718_zps8anhxeac.thumb.JPG.3f

The Rhopalostylis are quite attractive palms. A Sapida in mostly shade died in my yard several years ago. I wonder if summer/ autumn temps [often exceeding 90F] w/ dry winds were responsible?  

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

• 4 months later...

These aren't my pictures (circa 2014) but I wanted to share them if they've not been posted before. I last saw these Archontophoenix palms in 2017 on Castro Street in San Francisco and they were all still looking healthy, despite the cool, foggy conditions. They may actually have adapted better to that city's climate than some of the struggling Canary date palms I saw on Market Street.^_^

CastroStKingPalms.png

castro_new_palms.png

• Upvote 3