IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

AAA Jan 2017 Freeze Data

Xhoniwaters1

Two nights in a row of freezing temperatures. Had a group of large potted palms that were stored in my wooden shed. A few were going in the ground this spring. No added heat in the shed. Outside low temperature estimates were 30-32* first night and 25-27* second night.  First night was a short duration of freeze, second night saw about 12 hours of freeze. Damage report for palms in shed (POTTED):Pritchardia maideniana overgrown 5g- 100% defoliation+ spear pull ,2 Dypsis saintelucei overgrown 5g- 100% defoliation, green petioles, solid spears, 2 Pseudophoenix sargentii overgrown 5g- 90% defoliation, green petioles, solid spears, 2 Ravenea sambiranensis 5g- one with zero damage, one with 20% burn, 2 Howea forsteriana 5g- 75% defoliation, 2 Chamaedorea oblongata 3g- 75-100% defoliation,Phoenix rupicola 5g- zero damage ,2 Kentiopsis oliviformis 15g- 75% defoliation, green petioles, solid spears                                                                                                                                                     

Edited by Xhoniwaters1

Tyler

Coastal Zone 9a

''Karma is a good girl, she just treats you exactly how you treat her"

It sounds as though Phoenix Rupicola is your winner. I wonder whether the fact that these palms were in pots compromised them.  If they had been in the ground, the root system would arguably have been exposed to less cold.

Xhoniwaters1, I assume that you are located somewhere in the chilly panhandle because it only got as cold as 30 or 31 in Gainesville (already up in North FL), and I suspect that the temperature was warmer in my back yard than 31. I may have experienced 33.  Both of my thermometers are not working at the moment, but I had no palms which suffered any damage at all.

Forgot to add a 7gal Cyphophoenix elegans 75% burn green petioles and solid spear. 

I'm sort of surprised by the dead P maideniana. Thought they had some hardiness.  Oh well

Tyler

Coastal Zone 9a

''Karma is a good girl, she just treats you exactly how you treat her"

10 hours ago, Tropicdoc said:

Thought kentopsis was tougher. Along the lines of a king. My kings have 50% burn at 2 nights 25 degrees under canopy

Kentiopsis Oliviformis has been tougher for me, although none of my plants have truly been put to the test since 2010.  That's going on 7 years now without any true zone 8b here (USDA says that I am in zone 8b, whereas every other part of town is zone 9a according to USDA).  Since 2010, I have had several zone 9b winters and I recall having a zone 9a winter too, but my recollection is not perfect.  

In any case, my 2 Kentiopsis Oliviformis have never suffered any damage, but I did not have those palms back at the time of the big 2010 freeze event. 

does K.O like sun or shade? The nice thing about Archontophoenix is that they thrive in the shade (protected from frost). And they grow lightning fast. Maybe not sexy in California but in a South Louisiana backyard..... a tropical surprise.

My Kentiopsis Oliviformis are both in deep shade and they seem to be growing well. However, I can't compare with someone else who has them planted in sun. Perhaps someone on this forum can comment on the difference in growth rate for K.O. in sun vs. Shade.

Also, I agree about Archontophoenix Cunninghamiana.  Five of mine are in deep shade, four of which have grown quickly. There is also a sixth one that is in part sun/part shade.  The latter has grown more quickly than the others, but not THAT much faster. 

However, I get the impression that A.C. is a faster grower than K.O., regardless of the growing conditions.  Perhaps someone with more experience can contribute their observations on this point.