IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

whats wrong with my Howea belmoreana!!???

Mohsen

I am not sure whats wrong with my Howea belmoreana!!???

Could it be too much water ? it has only 2-3 hours sun so I don't think it is the sun?

IMG_0323.thumb.JPG.8eb2357694671068d0920

IMG_0321.thumb.JPG.b9e67784c2bb25c3d43df

It has opened two new frond but even the new frond has problem :(

IMG_0322.thumb.JPG.0b778031644d635f6d882

It was like this before , any help or recommendation would be appreciated, this one is my favorite and perhaps the only established palm I have :(

image.jpeg.709a26edbe21b407d49f4270c8a6c

Sunburn. Keep it watered and it will grow out of it.

• Upvote 2

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

That kind of damage is very common when there is a period of extreme dry heat. One of the resons why people think palms are to difficult particularly here in Adelaide. It is very disheartening to find a treasured palm that looked so good to suddenly have burnt bits. Don't cut anything off do as Tyrone has said, keep water up to it. When I know that really hot weather is on the way I try to make sure all my palms have had a decent soak before the heat hits.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Tryone and Pip...

I was told by the nursery it was kept in full sun!???

is "splashing water on it and washing during the hot days and full sun" advisable?

Looks very sun burnt. Some of mine have been burnt too. Not as bad though. We have had some very hot days. I think you may have had higher temps than us. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, palmad Merc said:

It was very hot and dry on Wednesday morning in Sydney, is this when you noticed it?

Actually this morning...I kept watering but it seems not effective...I have few other palms in full sun but they didn't get burnt, Dypsis Carlsmitii which was said sensetive to sun is Ok,

1 hour ago, Palms4Steve said:

Looks very sun burnt. Some of mine have been burnt too. Not as bad though. We have had some very hot days. I think you may have had higher temps than us. 

Your are right Steve , my gauge showed 42 C :( 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Mohsen said:

Your are right Steve , my gauge showed 42 C :( 

That's really hot. Especially for palms that like cooler temps.

Hopefully it pulls through your summer. How long do you think until you begin to see lower temps Mohsen?

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Danilopez89 said:

That's really hot. Especially for palms that like cooler temps.

Hopefully it pulls through your summer. How long do you think until you begin to see lower temps Mohsen?

It was cooler last night

today is hotter but with some rain

Howea don't like sun when young. Don't splash water over the fronds this will burn it more and potentially introduce fungal attacks. I have a fosteriana in Melbourne that is a similar size to your belmoreana that burnt like yours in the first summer I planted it out. It received a bit of summer sun that scorched it. My solution was to put shadecloth over it until it gets older and gets its roots down deep into the soil. I would recommend giving it shade without any direct sun. They look better in shade regardless of whether they get burnt or not. People try to sunharden them as a way of getting them to grow quicker but in your case it is already a reasonable size palm and your climate in Sydney is pretty close to what they would get on Lord Howe so will probably grow at a reasonable pace in the shade anyway. Given that it was in a planter the plant was probably moved into shade on hot sunny days in the nursery.

I found my howeas got fried when i put them in sun and it takes about 18 months for the full flush to come thru and them.to look perfect i actually like them in full sun shorter more compact fronds but thats my opinion, i believe  yours will be fine

• Upvote 2

Defiantly sunburn

It will grow back and you will find that the new fronds are Sun hardy ! In the meantime apply lots of water

Troy

• Upvote 2

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

10 hours ago, Tassie_Troy1971 said:

Defiantly sunburn

It will grow back and you will find that the new fronds are Sun hardy ! In the meantime apply lots of water

Troy

Thanks Troy

I keep watering it ...tomorrow we will have another hot wave, 40C + :( 

A pot grown palm really hasn't put out an extensive root system yet. It's hard to truly sun harden a Howea that's grown in a pot in 42C heat unless we are talking at least a 250L bag and the palm gets effectively flooded on the hot days. In Perth those sort of temps were very common in summer and even in the nursery our bigger Howeas would still burn. What your palm needs to do over the next couple of years is put out an extensive root system and then once it's done that it should look perfect in the sun. It will have to grow out of that damage though, but when it does it will be fine. Howeas are very forgiving even when they have got to the ugly stage of sunburn. As long as it's pushing a spear you are in the clear.

• Upvote 2

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.