IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Seed grown Juania australis

Plantasexoticas

Was the temp around the 15-20C mark to germinate them?

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

4 hours ago, Tyrone said:

Was the temp around the 15-20C mark to germinate them?

Yeah around 15-20. Kept them in a cool part the house away from any heat. If they are fresh like mine were then all I did was soak a bit to get rid of the fruit, cleaned them, then in a pot to germinate. Used a gritty soil which I sterilised. 

Hope you get on well with them!

8 hours ago, Plantasexoticas said:

Yeah around 15-20. Kept them in a cool part the house away from any heat. If they are fresh like mine were then all I did was soak a bit to get rid of the fruit, cleaned them, then in a pot to germinate. Used a gritty soil which I sterilised. 

Hope you get on well with them!

Many thanks for the info. These seed will be outside. My house is too warm for them as I keep the fire going all winter and the temps are 22-27C. Outside under canopy the maximums now are 15-20C in winter which should be perfect. In fact my climate is roughly within a degree of Juan Fernandez island all year and rainfall is very close for every month too.

I soaked the seeds overnight and left them soaking outside with temps around 8C and 4 have germinated while soaking. I’m really pleased about that. These have been potted up and put with my Ceroxylons. Hopefully they’ll take. The rest are soaking outside in a weak seaweed solution. Theyll go into a germination container with vermin proof lid tomorrow.

My seedling mix is coconut coir, perlite, and river sand and I put a layer of spaghnum moss over the top to protect them and keep them moist.

It will be raining for most part of the next 7 days so they should feel right at home.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Ilovepalm said:

Where you bought this seeds? I'm looking for them too. 

RPS

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 1/18/2017 at 2:05 PM, Plantasexoticas said:

image.jpeg

I have just come across this thread, so thought I would bump it.

Quite a few people are growing Juania Australis in the UK from seeds distributed by @Alberto back in the winter. 

I started out with two, however one of mine died shortly after emerging, whereas the other surviving one is very, very pale yellow looking. Even more so than the variegated/yellow one that you have. It has been like it since it first emerged and it refuses to green up, even with decent sunlight exposure.

Someone on the EPS has suggested that it may be an albino, but I see Alberto also mentions in this thread that some turn pale yellow and die... :( Mine is still growing for the time being though, albeit slowly, although I am getting quite worried, especially after reading Albeto's comments. The seeds were quite expensive as well. About £10 each.

Is your 'yellow' one still alive? If so, that at least gives me hope. Although I am fearing the worst now. I have never had a palm seedling look like this. 

Cheers.

IMG_2186.jpg

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

15 hours ago, UK_Palms said:

I have just come across this thread, so thought I would bump it.

Quite a few people are growing Juania Australis in the UK from seeds distributed by @Alberto back in the winter. 

I started out with two, however one of mine died shortly after emerging, whereas the other surviving one is very, very pale yellow looking. Even more so than the variegated/yellow one that you have. It has been like it since it first emerged and it refuses to green up, even with decent sunlight exposure.

Someone on the EPS has suggested that it may be an albino, but I see Alberto also mentions in this thread that some turn pale yellow and die... :( Mine is still growing for the time being though, albeit slowly, although I am getting quite worried, especially after reading Albeto's comments. The seeds were quite expensive as well. About £10 each.

Is your 'yellow' one still alive? If so, that at least gives me hope. Although I am fearing the worst now. I have never had a palm seedling look like this. 

Cheers.

IMG_2186.jpg

Hello and thanks for reminding me to check back on here as I’ve not been on here in quite some time. 

my Juania are doing well, the yellow one (which I was hoping would be a super rare variegated one! ) has turned green and is growing well. 

Several of them are just starting to show splits in their young strap leaves. 

I’ve seen several people have now obtained seeds and they certainly seem to be cheaper than when I purchased my seeds few years back in 2016 I think 

I hope yours recovers as they are wonderful palms, not sure what to suggest to turn it green other than patience. 

James

5BBFF80F-6AD2-4AD8-9201-FD7DF296042A.jpeg

E2FE2CF4-5655-4216-B47D-10F9502B0F03.jpeg

• Like 2

Cheers for getting back to me mate. Your specimens are looking really good and healthy considering how difficult this palm is to grow. I know they are unbearably slow growers, but yours are doing well. Are you going to try planting any of them outdoors in the coming years? I don't know what part of the UK you are from though...?

Hopefully my one kicks on and turns green eventually. I'll certainly stick with it and hope for the best, but I'm not holding out much hope. @Alberto seems to suggest, in the earlier comments on this thread, that the yellow seedlings die eventually. That's definitely got me worried, but you say your yellowish/variegated specimen turned green, which gives me some hope. Maybe Alberto can offer some input regarding my seedling...?

Cheers again :greenthumb:

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

I'll chime in about the yellow seedlings thing. Ive had some Juania come up and some are yellow or yellowish and they still keep growing slowly and so far they are greening up. My seed started germinating back in around August September 2019 and a couple of months ago I pulled back the spaghnum moss cover and more were starting to push up spears from the medium. As far as I know I haven't had even one die yet. Every now and again I've given them a weak seaweed fish emulsion watering and so far they seem to love it. To me, these are easier to grow than Ceroxylon. I just put up a new shade house and put my Ceroxylons and Juanias next to each other. Unfortunately the morning sun in summer gave my Ceroxylons too much sun even in the shadehouse and I lost a few. However the Juania right next to them didn't batter an eyelid. They just kept going. My oldest Juania is just pushing spear number 2. They're in a community pot, but in winter on a cold 15C day I will try and seperate the bigger ones into individual pots. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tyrone said:

Unfortunately the morning sun in summer gave my Ceroxylons too much sun even in the shadehouse and I lost a few. However the Juania right next to them didn't batter an eyelid. They just kept going. My oldest Juania is just pushing spear number 2. They're in a community pot, but in winter on a cold 15C day I will try and seperate the bigger ones into individual pots. 

Cheers for the input. I have just had a similar thing happen to my Chambeyronia and Chamadorea Radicalis. I overwintered them outdoors in pots, since it was a very mild winter, but the spot I overwinter them in is a sheltered section of the garden that gets hardly any sun at all during winter. Given that I am at 51N and the angle of the sun is so low down during winter, below the fence and trees, meaning there is hardly any direct sunlight at all in some sections of my garden during winter. So they went 3-4 months with minimal sunlight, at a very low intensity. 

Of course come spring, the angle of the sun rises dramatically at my latitude, but I hadn't factored this in for that section of the garden. The Chambeyronia and Chamadorea went from getting maybe 1-2 hours of direct sunlight a day in early March... to suddenly getting 10+ hours of direct sunlight a day by early April, at a much stronger intensity. The fronds have suffered severe sunburn as a result, being bleached white initially, but they have now started going brown and crispy. They look terrible, but are pushing new, green, fronds still. I've moved them into more shaded spots since.

Anyway, lesson learnt. I won't make that mistake again, especially with sunlight sensitive types that grow below jungle canopy's. It's also made me think twice about exposing my ultra pale, yellow Juania to strong sunlight now. Just in case. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, UK_Palms said:

Cheers for getting back to me mate. Your specimens are looking really good and healthy considering how difficult this palm is to grow. I know they are unbearably slow growers, but yours are doing well. Are you going to try planting any of them outdoors in the coming years? I don't know what part of the UK you are from though...?

Hopefully my one kicks on and turns green eventually. I'll certainly stick with it and hope for the best, but I'm not holding out much hope. @Alberto seems to suggest, in the earlier comments on this thread, that the yellow seedlings die eventually. That's definitely got me worried, but you say your yellowish/variegated specimen turned green, which gives me some hope. Maybe Alberto can offer some input regarding my seedling...?

Cheers again :greenthumb:

Thanks! At the moment I don’t have any permanent outdoors space so most of my exotics spend their lives in pots. I would to live to try one outside at some point in the future .. if I had a mild plot. I’m in Sussex around 25 miles from the coast 

Don’t give up just yet as it may still green up

I have Chamadorea Radicalis, grown from seed. They stay outdoors all year and as they live on my south facing balcony, there’s not much I can do about direct sun other than keep them partly under the shadow of larger plants. They are doing well though 

4 minutes ago, Plantasexoticas said:

Thanks! At the moment I don’t have any permanent outdoors space so most of my exotics spend their lives in pots. I would to live to try one outside at some point in the future .. if I had a mild plot. I’m in Sussex around 25 miles from the coast 

Don’t give up just yet as it may still green up

Similar situation to me. I leave a lot of my palms containerised, until I move to a new house. I have numerous Chamaerops, Phoenix & Washies that I want to plant in the ground, but refuse to, for now. I'm about 30 miles from the coast, but the main reason I'm not planting is due to space. 

2 minutes ago, Plantasexoticas said:

I have Chamadorea Radicalis, grown from seed. They stay outdoors all year and as they live on my south facing balcony, there’s not much I can do about direct sun other than keep them partly under the shadow of larger plants. They are doing well though 

I'm guessing they get consistent levels of sunlight year round though. The issue I had is that direct sunlight was obstructed for several months, so they only got 1-2 hours a day. But come late March / early April, the sun was suddenly above the treeline and the fences, giving them direct sunlight for like 10-12 hours. It scorched the living daylights out of them. Whereas yours are probably used to getting decent amounts of sunlight even in winter, especially from an elevated position.

2 minutes ago, Plantasexoticas said:

Do you keep your chambeyronia out all winter in the uk? 

I did this winter just gone, but only because it was very mild. Although saying that, I did bring the Chambeyronia in on one night in January because they forecasted lows of -6C for me, but it only ended up dropping to -3C. Of course it was inside for that night though, but went back outside the next day. That -3C was the coldest night of winter and we didn't have much frost at all in general last winter, plus I keep it in a sheltered area with overhang from trees. Not sure if I will get away with that next winter...

• Like 1

It will be interesting to find out if there’s a chambeyronia out there doing ok in. Sheltered spot. If I had a garden I’d trial one of my seed grown plants. Does yours grow in summer outdoors? Mine did a bit in the balcony. 

yes this winter was very mild one and may not be lucky the next. 

and yes your probably right about the c.radicalis and the more consistent sun exposure on my balcony. how big are yours now and have you had them long? 

james 

I'm pretty sure Chambeyronia will grow outdoors in places like Tresco, Cornwall and the southwest of England along the coast. Maybe even the leeward side of the Isle of Wight. I don't know of any specimens in these places, but those locations are pretty much frost-free most years and the warmest places in the UK on average across the year. I can definitely see Chambeyronia doing well in those places, although growing slowly due to the lack of summer heat in those coastal areas.

My own specimen grows well here from May - October, due to the warm summers that we get, but again I can't leave them in direct sunlight here. I think 3-4 hours of direct sunlight a day is the absolute limit here come summer. I think the problem is the angle of the sun and the severe lack of sunlight intensity during the colder months, meaning Chambeyronia and Chamadorea are not accustomed to the higher light levels when they do arrive from May - August. Unlike places like California and Hawaii, where the sun remains high in the sky year-round, and strong in intensity, bathing the plants in direct sunlight year-round. Unlike here where they go from getting barely any sunlight from November - March, to suddenly getting lots of strong sunlight from May - August. It's one extreme to the other and it's hardly surprising that it shocks them.

I germinated my Chamadorea Radicalis back in winter 2019 and potted up 4 specimens about a year ago in April 2019. So mine have been growing for about a year now, outdoors. Again, I have kept them in a sheltered spot at the bottom of the garden, which resulted in too much sudden sunlight exposure this spring. I won't make that mistake again next spring. How old are your C. Radicalis and are they trunking yet? Do you give them any winter protection at all, or just leave them outside the whole time?

42 minutes ago, UK_Palms said:

I'm pretty sure Chambeyronia will grow outdoors in places like Tresco, Cornwall and the southwest of England along the coast. Maybe even the leeward side of the Isle of Wight. I don't know of any specimens in these places, but those locations are pretty much frost-free most years and the warmest places in the UK on average across the year. I can definitely see Chambeyronia doing well in those places, although growing slowly due to the lack of summer heat in those coastal areas.

My own specimen grows well here from May - October, due to the warm summers that we get, but again I can't leave them in direct sunlight here. I think 3-4 hours of direct sunlight a day is the absolute limit here come summer. I think the problem is the angle of the sun and the severe lack of sunlight intensity during the colder months, meaning Chambeyronia and Chamadorea are not accustomed to the higher light levels when they do arrive from May - August. Unlike places like California and Hawaii, where the sun remains high in the sky year-round, and strong in intensity, bathing the plants in direct sunlight year-round. Unlike here where they go from getting barely any sunlight from November - March, to suddenly getting lots of strong sunlight from May - August. It's one extreme to the other and it's hardly surprising that it shocks them.

I germinated my Chamadorea Radicalis back in winter 2019 and potted up 4 specimens about a year ago in April 2019. So mine have been growing for about a year now, outdoors. Again, I have kept them in a sheltered spot at the bottom of the garden, which resulted in too much sudden sunlight exposure this spring. I won't make that mistake again next spring. How old are your C. Radicalis and are they trunking yet? Do you give them any winter protection at all, or just leave them outside the whole time?

Ventnor gardens on the south of Isle of Wight has some stunning exotics and could well trial some more unusual palms, been there a few times. Tresco I’ve not visited but it’s on my wish list. 

my radicalis are around 2 years old from seed, slow but steady to germinate and grow and they are pretty small still given how long I’ve had them. Perhaps with more warmth they would be bigger by now? 

I don’t protect them with anything, they just stay on the balcony in their little pots so they must be pretty hardy as they’ve taken several frosty spells and they are still very young. 

where abouts in UK are you? 

16 minutes ago, Plantasexoticas said:

Ventnor gardens on the south of Isle of Wight has some stunning exotics and could well trial some more unusual palms, been there a few times. Tresco I’ve not visited but it’s on my wish list. 

my radicalis are around 2 years old from seed, slow but steady to germinate and grow and they are pretty small still given how long I’ve had them. Perhaps with more warmth they would be bigger by now? 

I don’t protect them with anything, they just stay on the balcony in their little pots so they must be pretty hardy as they’ve taken several frosty spells and they are still very young. 

where abouts in UK are you? 

I'm near Guildford in Surrey. About 30 miles inland from the south coast and about 35 miles southwest of central London. I'm right out in the countryside, surrounded by fields and woodland, so I don't experience any urban heat island effect, or coastal influence in winter/summer. I figure you're probably about the same distance away from the capital as me, if you're in Sussex and 25 miles inland. Somewhere near Crawley I'm guessing. Almost identical climate to me then. Warm and dry in summer.

Are you planning on moving into a house any time soon, with a garden obviously? Those palms are certainly taking up quite a bit of space on the balcony. If I was you I would be itching to get some of those in the ground within the next year or so. Also, is that a big Washie trunk that I see in the middle of the pack? :lol2:

A real nice collection you've got going there mate. Wish my Juania and Chamadorea looked like your ones! :greenthumb:

Here's my badly sunburnt Chamadorea and Chambeyronia...

IMG_2203.jpg

IMG_2205.jpg

IMG_2208.jpg

Ah they don’t look too bad, sure they will recover just fine. I had something similar happen to my first batch of ceroxylon (no longer alive) my second batch of them are doing well so far (although I’ve stupidly mixed up the seedlings so I don’t know which is which any longer) 

you’ve no idea how much I want a garden! I’d love one your size but I’m not moving any time soon, live in a house in Petworth but only have a balcony. I have 3 fair size brahea in pots on my allotment and palms in pots outside my front door 

I still have more palm seeds on the way to try.. and yes that’s a washingtonia :)

what other palms do you have in your collection? 

Oh you're from Petworth are you mate. Bloody hell, I've seen your balcony before in person then come to think of it. We parked up nearby and went to the cafe adjacent and I remember that balcony catching my eye. My sister and her husband actually live in Petworth (his family are from there). I was there visiting just before the lockdown came into effect. It's a nice place, only 20 minutes from me, but a few too many antique shops for my liking pal. And the one way system does my head in. I always tell my sister that. :lol2: 

Have they still got the deer at Petworth Park? I used to see them all the time when passing through the town when going to the south coast, but I haven't seen them in recent years. Apart from visiting my family, I have to pass through Petworth to get to Bognor, Littlehampton or Worthing, or if I'm going to Big Plant Nursery. There's actually quite a few exotic plant nurseries in your neck of the woods. 

Anyway, that balcony is jam packed mate. Is that a Jubaea I spot in amongst there as well? You're certainly making good use of the space though! Like yourself, I am also making use of the space on my allotment too. I've just planted a few small Trachy's and Chamaerops there and plan on growing on a bunch of my smaller potted stuff at the allotment. I'm growing tons of peppers and tomatoes again this year. Lots of banana plants as well (I wish I started banana seeds). I only just put up that polytunnel in the garden last week for the peppers and tomatoes. Not that I even need it from May - September. 

I'm growing a lot in my garden - various Trachy's, Cordylines, Chamaerops Humilis/Cerifera/Vulcano, Phoenix Canariensis, Dacty, Theophasti, Butia Odorata, Jubaea, Washingtonia Robusta/Filibusta/Filifera, Phormiums etc. Cacti as well, which you can see in one of my pictures above. Everything I listed was overwintered outdoors in pots, although I really need to get them in the ground, especially the CIDP and Dacty!

What new seeds are you trying out?

(pictures taken in February before the Chamadorea and Chambeyronia sunburn)...

IMG_1687.jpg

IMG_1705.jpg

IMG_1703.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Small world! its a great place to live and a good base for getting about! My balcony looks over market square so it’s hard to miss :D - yeah jubaea and a butia think around 15 palm species overall on there! I’ve about 20 or so species overall

how long have you had your Phoenix dactylifera for? I’ve just planted seeds of them. 

ive ordered dypsis baronii, beccariophoenix alfredii and livistona mariae. Cool tolerant (maybe not hardy) but I’m giving them a go. 

Also is that the big plant nursery in Ashington? Love that place. Only place I’ve been to that has anything unusual. Last purchases were brahea dulcis and allagoptera arenaria 

James

• Like 2

I brought the Dacty as a small palm about 5 years ago and really mollycoddled it for the first few years, unlike the CIDP which I have just left outside to do its thing. Whereas I didn't expose the Dacty to any frost for the first 2-3 years and was extra careful with it in general, but I have since relaxed and just left it outside to do it's thing. It has taken quite a bit of frost and doesn't seem to mind. It maybe saw -5C in January 2019, and was fine. It didn't have any protection last winter either, although it was a mild winter. I really need to get it in the ground though to be honest.

I was tempted to get some Livistonia Mariae seeds myself this winter, but never did in the end. As for the Beccariophoenix Alfredii, they are only hardy down to about -3C at most, probably -2C in our climate, so you will have to be real careful with them. I certainly don't think you'll be able to keep them outdoors in winter, even during the daytime. That's the main reason I haven't got any, because I prefer to leave all my specimens outdoors year-round, unless I have to protect them on the coldest 2-3 nights each year. But with the high plateau coconut you will have to protect that for about 4 months straight, or 1/3 of the year, in our climate. Even mature specimens. Young seedlings can probably only go outside from April - October. But I guess you can trial them to see...

And yeah, I was referring to Big Plant Nursery in Ashington. Lots of unusual stuff there, as you mention. While it's not exactly a palm, I did pick up a nice Mahonia 'soft caress' on my last visit back in February. It kind of looks like Chamadorea...

IMG_2224.jpg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, UK_Palms said:

I brought the Dacty as a small palm about 5 years ago and really mollycoddled it for the first few years, unlike the CIDP which I have just left outside to do its thing. Whereas I didn't expose the Dacty to any frost for the first 2-3 years and was extra careful with it in general, but I have since relaxed and just left it outside to do it's thing. It has taken quite a bit of frost and doesn't seem to mind. It maybe saw -5C in January 2019, and was fine. It didn't have any protection last winter either, although it was a mild winter. I really need to get it in the ground though to be honest.

I was tempted to get some Livistonia Mariae seeds myself this winter, but never did in the end. As for the Beccariophoenix Alfredii, they are only hardy down to about -3C at most, probably -2C in our climate, so you will have to be real careful with them. I certainly don't think you'll be able to keep them outdoors in winter, even during the daytime. That's the main reason I haven't got any, because I prefer to leave all my specimens outdoors year-round, unless I have to protect them on the coldest 2-3 nights each year. But with the high plateau coconut you will have to protect that for about 4 months straight, or 1/3 of the year, in our climate. Even mature specimens. Young seedlings can probably only go outside from April - October. But I guess you can trial them to see...

And yeah, I was referring to Big Plant Nursery in Ashington. Lots of unusual stuff there, as you mention. While it's not exactly a palm, I did pick up a nice Mahonia 'soft caress' on my last visit back in February. It kind of looks like Chamadorea...

IMG_2224.jpg

Yeah that mahonia does have quite the tropical look and would fit in well to an exotic border! 

Thanks for the tips regarding the beccariophoenix, I’ve been thinking about growing them for years and decided to just take the plunge and see what happens. I have plenty of plants growing indoors too and they don’t take up too much space to begin with. I like the idea of growing from seeds as it means you have several to try with a little less expense. I expect that they will probably be another one for indoors with my Bismarckia but I’d like to see in person how they fair here. 

im going to need to just move in to a large greenhouse at this rate :D 

On 4/15/2020 at 1:29 AM, UK_Palms said:

Another thing that would effect the burning of your shade loving palms is where the sun is coming from. Closer to the equator, the sun definitely comes up in the east, and gets up high in the sky at noon and then goes down definitely in the west. Up in the 50's latitudes and higher the sun almost circumnavigates your property in the summer. It takes a gentle slope up from sun up until noon but can be almost the opposite side of your property to where it came up at noon time, and then it slowly goes down again on the other side of your property around 10-11pm to come up again between 2 and 3am not too far from where it went down a few short hours before. That means your shadows do some crazy things and what is in shade in the morning is in full blazing sun by noon and doesn't get shade again until about 6pm. I noticed this in Devon when I was last over in the UK. Further north, up in Newcastle the sun barely went down it seemed. You could paint your house at 11.30pm it was that light. Up in Newcastle at 10.30pm we were watching the sun go down over the beach and it just went sideways it seemed and took ages to approach the horizon. We gave up and went home before sundown.

Here in the 30's latitudes in summer it's quite different. Obviously through the seasons the sun rises higher in the sky in summer and is lower in winter but it still more or less comes up in the east and goes down in the west. It means your shadow lines are really quite easily predicted for your shade loving species. The sun will never sort of circumnavigate your house on a summers day. Here in the Southern Hemisphere the southern side of my house more or less has a shadow all year round of varying lengths and the north side never sees a shadow. When the sun goes down one minute the sun can be up and if you stop looking for a couple of minutes the sun has gone and you've missed sunset.

That's just my observation of the sun in the UK which would make it difficult to keep shade loving plants in the shade in the landscape. It's not such a problem with a shade house though. The extended summer sunshine would really kick things along.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
14 hours ago, Foxpalms said:

@UK_Palms Did the flamethrower palms go though that winter with no issues definitely a hopeful sign if they did?

Yeah pretty much no problems, but I have always brought it indoors on the colder nights in Jan-Feb. It stays outside from March - December though. In central London or the south coast, I am confident it would be alright outdoors all year, providing there isn’t a severe 1 in 20 year freeze. 

I stupidly left it down the side of the garage again where the weeds and bushes grew over it completely. I spent 10 minutes just trying to get it out again! As a result, it has been completely shade grown this summer and literally had no direct sunlight for months on end. It has still thrown out a new red/maroon frond recently though. The frond is a bit stunted though, due to the lack of sunlight.

Here is a picture of it now next to my largest Rhopalostylis. The picture was taken this evening. I don’t dare plant either of them out until I move to my south coast garden and that will be in a protected spot, near the house, with overhead canopy. The fronds are fully pinnate now.

77736FB5-5EB4-43CD-A701-9D102FB148DD.thumb.jpeg.c7ab987a490f3f2cc597ada5f7909669.jpeg

• Like 2