IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Nannorrhops ritchiana seedlings

Plantasexoticas

Hello everyone - first post here :)

just repotted my Nannorrhops seedlings and thought I'd share the pictures. Amazing root growth - which seems to be more than top growth

James

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Upvote 3

Looking great !!! I was wondering how you'd pot them with such an extensive root system.

Cheers, Barrie.

2 minutes ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

Looking great !!! I was wondering how you'd pot them with such an extensive root system.

Cheers, Barrie.

Thank you Barrie,

I put them into a bigger and slightly deeper pot but still had to spiral the roots around the inside of the pot quite a few times. 

I imagine that being native to arid regions, the roots would extend downward seeking moisture. Are your intentions to size these up and plant out in the future?

Cheers, Barrie.

I may need to invest in some deeper pots as the roots just seem to want to go down. Makes sense like you say coming from arid regions, I have a bismarckia doing a similar thing. The nannorhops have been outside during the summer but are in my grow room for the winter. I unfortunately don't have much space for planting out here but potentially if I move somewhere with a decent garden I may try.

James 

@Plantasexoticas Reminds me of Phoenix sp. with the deep roots.  Even a 2 leaf seedling will fill a 3 liter bottle with roots. 

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Yes now you say it, one of my Phoenix seedlings is pushing the plant out of the pot as the roots go down - exposing the plant base - on my list of plants to repot ☺

James

• Upvote 1

Be careful not to break the roots.  I killed every single seedling trying to separate them out of a badly overgrown compot years ago.  One was variegated too!  I still have dreams about that seedling, lol.  :'(

4 hours ago, Bigfish said:

Be careful not to break the roots.  I killed every single seedling trying to separate them out of a badly overgrown compot years ago.  One was variegated too!  I still have dreams about that seedling, lol.  :'(

I will, thank you. I've reppotted them a couple of times now and managed not to damage anything. my bismarckia nobilis which is getting on for about 4/5 years from seed was knocked off a windowsill by a cat a while back - I don't know how it didn't break any roots but I would of been devastated if it died - I read that any root damage on bismarckia can lead to death.