IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Recent Freeze in Hou Tx

tstex

Hello to all and belated HNY.

Our Sylvestris Date Palm and Queen palms took a hit w the recent freeze...It was low 20's w a strong night wind...even the Mexican palms have frond freeze burns

The sylvestris seems to be browning a little more each day on the frond leaves, meaning it started at the tips and moving downward, although there is still green near the base of the fronds.  I'm not going to cut anything at this point, but wanted to know if there was anything I could do in the form of a root stimulator or the like to keep her hydrated and nutrient enriched?

The queens are doing the same thing, but seem to have some fronds that are 100% browned.  I'm just looking for some basic post-freeze-damage control I can invoke, or do I just sit tight?  We are expecting rain here on and off for the next few days, so I don't want to drown them w anything else.  The Med fan palms look perfect...really hard palms.

Thank you very much, tstex

I don't think it's wise to try and push new growth by giving nutrients until it gets good and warm, also don't trim anything until frost danger has past. Either of these two things will just leave it more vulnerable in the event it gets cold again this season.  

• Upvote 1

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

Thanks Xerarch - I'm adhering to the golden rule of no trimming until all frost threats are over...What I was seeking was any possible means of building root mass w out upper structure development, or just pure root growth?  we received about 3-5" of rain since yesterday morning w more on the way, so no watering for sure now...

Thanks again, tstex

I concur in all respects with Xerach . .

Show us your palms and their recovery (or not). Your experience will add to the general body of knowledge.

Welcome to PalmTalk!

See my PM.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

13 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

I concur in all respects with Xerach . .

Show us your palms and their recovery (or not). Your experience will add to the general body of knowledge.

Will do Dave - right now it's very, very wet w more rain on the way...I'll take a couple of pic's when it's drier and the sun is present...Thanks again, tstex

Since Sunday, about 5.25" of rain and coming down today too...really soggy and brown fronds and frond tips are getting saturated.

we are supposed to have 25-35MPH winds this sunday, we some gusts reported over 50MPH.  Sun coming out Mon-Sat, so we'll see how the palms are doing then... I will take pic's as soon as the weather permits....thanks again, tstex