IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis decipiens rotting???

Palmela

This large Dypsis was planted 1,5 years ago in New Zealand. It's summer here and everything was going smoothly until 2 weeks ago when the fronds started to turn brown quickly. It looks like it could be a problem with drainage so I stopped watering it and I took off the excess mulch until I reach the roots. Is there anything else I could try? Thank you so much for your help....I feel so guilty and powerless

IMG_4968.JPG

IMG_4965.JPG

IMG_4966.JPG

• Upvote 3

You sure it has to do with drainage and not sunburn? What type of soil do you have? Is it in full sun?

• Upvote 1

Palos Verdes Estates - coastal Los Angeles - 33°45'N 118°24'W

On a cliff, 2 blocks from the Pacific Ocean. Zone 10b - Sunset zone 24

Wow thats a great size id love to find 1 that size, but i had very similar issues with mine when planting them in a raised bed full of grey sand which turned to jelly once it was wet i lost 2 unfortunately, fingers crossed yours pulls through

Have you checked at the very base of the plant at the beginning where the roots are? A prone place for rotting.

Tyler

Coastal Zone 9a

''Karma is a good girl, she just treats you exactly how you treat her"

My experience tells me your leaf is simply getting ready to shed.  Mine looks like this when the leaf is starting to separate from the trunk.  If your spear is intact then wait it out until this old leaf peels off.

Dana Point Tropicals - C-27 License #906810

(949) 542-0999

Overall it doesn't look too bad but if this is sudden browning definitely keep an eye on it. I don't see any sign of rot near the base, at first glance it looks like what we sometimes get when a palm is planted outside previously coming from a greenhouse or protected area, just adjusting to an exposed sunny spot. 

Just another observation - it looks like the last frond was cut prematurely while it still has some green and brown in the leaf base. I'd wait until the frond and base go completed grey and lifeless like the lowest leaf bases in future. Especially for touchy species like decipiens, early pruning can increase risk of disease.

• Like 1

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

8 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

Is it really a DD?

I think you might be on to something!!

It looks like a different form of DD. The leaflets are  irregular and the thing has a very vertical leaf structure.

I also agree its just an old leaf dying. it should be just fine

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Thank you so much for all your feedbacks, I truly appreciate any opinion. Today was a BIG day! After hours of thinking(some in bed) I decided to dig the palm out to have a closer look. After all a palm that has been growing for 1,5 years in the ground with no issue must be hiding something underneath(Christchurch NZ air is dry). The pictures I posted didn’t give justice, it does look worth.

Well after digging out the 150 ltrs root ball I discovered 3 major things :

1.       The roots are rotting underneath the palm.

2.       Half of the plastic container bag was left underneath(by the company that planted it…no comment)

3.       The palm is on a slope and the irrigation seems to run down straight into it.

I cleaned all the rot, applied a fungicide and replanted the palm on a layer of river stones (higher than ground level). I also improved the drainage around the palm with pumice and used a drain pipe to stop the water going straight into the root ball.

Would it survive??? I have no idea but I have no regret about digging it out today!

Should I give it plenty of water after replanting it or let it dry a bit??? Should I apply a product such as seasol???

Thank you so much for help again…today was a big dig day…I’m going to bed!

Yes water it in with seasol, should be choice bru! But that's my opinion. 

you have a bit of a drought it sounds like on the east coast south island, on the news front. 

7 hours ago, Palmela said:

Thank you so much for all your feedbacks, I truly appreciate any opinion. Today was a BIG day! After hours of thinking(some in bed) I decided to dig the palm out to have a closer look. After all a palm that has been growing for 1,5 years in the ground with no issue must be hiding something underneath(Christchurch NZ air is dry). The pictures I posted didn’t give justice, it does look worth.

2.       Half of the plastic container bag was left underneath(by the company that planted it…no comment)

3.       The palm is on a slope and the irrigation seems to run down straight into it.

I cleaned all the rot, applied a fungicide and replanted the palm on a layer of river stones (higher than ground level). I also improved the drainage around the palm with pumice and used a drain pipe to stop the water going straight into the root ball.

Would it survive??? I have no idea but I have no regret about digging it out today!

Should I give it plenty of water after replanting it or let it dry a bit??? Should I apply a product such as seasol???

Good luck......hopefully the plant will survive!

• 9 months later...
On 1/18/2017, 9:12:55, Palmela said:

Hi there Palmela

Do you work with "guillaume56" ( The Frenchmen ) at the Christchurch Botanical Gardens ?

I know this Dypsis decipiens well - but unfortunately it is not there anymore ( Gone to Palm heaven i think )

Rod.

• 3 years later...

Palmela, Welcome to Palmtalk !  :)

No need to feel guilt about this palm, the species is notorious for failure due to root and drainage issues. 

San Francisco, California